Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Why no Madden 10 on PC? (/forums/showthread.php?t=315911)

horrormaster 05-04-2009 02:24 AM

Why no Madden 10 on PC?

Seriously, why did they stop making Madden for the PC. I'm really excited about this years game, but I won't be able to play it because I don't have a 360 or PS3. Way to totally forget about all those PC gamers. Could of done so much more if it was on the PC. Space isn't an issue like it is with the consoles, neither is hardware limitations. Could have made everything better and I could be playing it in resolution greater than 1080p. It is just unexcusable to not make Madden 10 for the PC.

lite_speed 05-04-2009 02:56 AM

Re: Why no Madden 10 on PC?

sports on pc = suckage.

Valdarez 05-04-2009 03:11 AM

One word --> Piracy. Though I watched a video and Peter Moore said that digital delivery is the EA's direction moving forward for games on the PC, so maybe you'll end up getting a PC/Steam version some time in the future?

Exonerated 05-04-2009 03:27 AM

PC/Steam versions will just let games hit the torrents faster.

There is no DRM that can protect a game. ONly online games are immune.

Nza 05-04-2009 03:28 AM

It definitely is inexcusable not to have a PC version while still retaining the exclusive rights of the NFL on the platform - shoddy practices for sure, "blackballing" I believe it is called. TV networks, here in Australia anyway, used to do something similiar in buying the rights for rival shows and sports broadcasts only to purposely not show them. I believe it was outlawed.

One has to wonder why, if the US's largest sports league can't produce a profitable PC title, EA won't free the rights for it in case another developer disagrees. But of course, that won't happen, because piracy, profits etc are just excuses. I remember when "porting the new engine will be too hard" was the excuse, but 2KSports didn't seem to have much trouble with NBA 2K9 PC - funny that.

The truth is likely closer to the fundamental incompatibilities between EASports's business model and PC gaming - PC gamers aren't as inclined to just shell out money for a yearly update and they're generally more savvy to user customizations, which the platform allows for. Both of these aren't something EA want to encourage, as they both work against the cookie cutter yearly release model, so they'd much prefer PC gamers were console gamers instead.

So on one hand they proclaim the platform's ineptitude to host an NFL game, while with the other they grasp the exclusive license tightly. To be honest, I'm much more disappointed with the NFL. What they should do is release the PC NFL rights, and auction it off for a suitable price to a developer that is PC savvy and interested in making a quality PC game.

A PC NFL game should be made like the NASCAR Racing Season series was (before EA killed it with their NASCAR license, my god, what a company eh? And people wonder why they have a bad image). That series was every bit as popular as NFL 2KX and still exists today as a popular fan driven game. Papyrus made the game so it embraced PC customization and multiplayer ability, and it wasn't a yearly release. Like 2K5, it is still viewed by many (or was until recently) to be the best NASCAR game out there, and it was released in 2002/2003.

PolkaDot 05-04-2009 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valdarez (Post 2039520258)
One word --> Piracy. Though I watched a video and Peter Moore said that digital delivery is the EA's direction moving forward for games on the PC, so maybe you'll end up getting a PC/Steam version some time in the future?

If you actually think piracy is the reason, then you are being spoonfed a bowl of EA bull****.

lite_speed 05-04-2009 03:49 AM

Yeah lol, xbox 360 piracy is worse

Glorious Arc 05-04-2009 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaDot (Post 2039520289)
If you actually think piracy is the reason, then you are being spoonfed a bowl of EA bull****.

Piracy not a problem huh...?

http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-...f-2008-081204/

I would like to make note that most of those games were not even released last year but they are still being pirated. Also besides Spore being pirated horribly...Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, and Pro Evo which only released for less then 2-3 months made the 10 ten most pirated games of 2008.(side note the list was made as of dec 4)

Im not saying thats the only reason why but it could be one of them. Another reason could be the fact of having to make it for another system. Its a lot harder to port to 6 systems then 4(random numbers).