Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Which is better, customer packages or formation subs? (/forums/showthread.php?t=320762)

acts238shaun 05-25-2009 10:28 AM

Which is better, custom packages or formation subs?

I admit upfront, this is a loaded question. I remember Madden 06 had a custom package feature that allowed you to created or own custom sub packages. In doing this your player didn't lose AWR, BTK, etc., as you do in NCAA 09 if you manually move your TE to FB or DT to DE in the depth chart.

There are packages for the above in certain playbooks, but there are some I like that are not in there or I have to search playbooks. When there wasn't a package for TE Slot or Jumbo backfield in Madden 06 I would created what I needed. I'd create a package with FB @ HB and the TE @ FB, 2 TE's in slot in a trips formation, all DT's on the line, LB rush (which we have in NCAA '09), all corners in dime, etc. The possibilities are endless.

If done on a global scale by formation and not playbook this would eliminate the need for formation subs, except maybe for special teams. That is a minor irritant, but that's another post even though I do get tired of the kick returner breaking an attempted tackle by WR4 to go for a TD.

What do you think? Is custom formations a better choice since you have more options and you don't lose attributes? Or is form subs still better, even with lost attributes? Which do you choose and why?

rhombic21 05-25-2009 11:00 AM

Re: Which is better, customer packages or formation subs?

I agree that custom packages would be pretty sweet, and would be a huge upgrade from what we have now, but for the special teams reasons that you listed, they're still not as good as formation subs -- particularly formation subs the way that Madden has them implemented (where you can do them on the fly).

Actually, I'll take that back. Custom packages might be better than the old way of formation subs (from the pause menu or done pre-game), because then you could come up with several packages for each formation in case guys get tired or for various situations, but the way that Madden implemented them last year (could do them from the playcall screen) is better than custom packages, because you can essentially do everything that custom packages allow you to, plus you can make changes on special teams.

rdfowler 05-25-2009 11:03 AM

Custom formations can easily be in to not have cheesing. Make Formation subs only able at main menu or in team management in dynasty. Don't let it be an option in games for rank/unrank.

acts238shaun 05-25-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdfowler (Post 2039609905)
Custom formations can easily be in to not have cheesing. Make Formation subs only able at main menu or in team management in dynasty. Don't let it be an option in games for rank/unrank.

Yeah, eliminate it for online and allow OD commish's to decide it's use. I would find it handy in an offline dynasty when you only have one or two good players and want to use them more in different formations.

PantherBeast_OS 05-25-2009 12:34 PM

The customs would nice to have if the Dev team would ever listen to the ncaa fans.:brickwall

ActLikeYouCrow 05-25-2009 03:05 PM

why are people agreeing that it should be eliminated for online? cheesers try to win no matter what, they pause the game before the start and put their fastest guy at backup qb or whatever cheeser crap they pull, so what exactly are you preventing by not having formation subs online? i dont mean to stereotype but cheesers dont strike me as busy, reasonable people.

if the default roster is screwed up, it makes it a lot easier to make realistic changes. formation subs wont create more cheesers, they are what they are, theyre born that way. formation subs especially for online play considering were stuck with a default roster that will have wrong starters all over the place.

SHO 05-25-2009 03:06 PM

Why can't we just have both like Madden does?

rhombic21 05-25-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActLikeYouCrow (Post 2039610588)
why are people agreeing that it should be eliminated for online? cheesers try to win no matter what, they pause the game before the start and put their fastest guy at backup qb or whatever cheeser crap they pull, so what exactly are you preventing by not having formation subs online? i dont mean to stereotype but cheesers dont strike me as busy, reasonable people.

if the default roster is screwed up, it makes it a lot easier to make realistic changes. formation subs wont create more cheesers, they are what they are, theyre born that way. formation subs especially for online play considering were stuck with a default roster that will have wrong starters all over the place.

Agreed completely. Cheesers already do things like sub in a non-QB player as their backup QB and use the backup QB package sub to run option. There's no reason to keep custom package subs or formation subs offline.