Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Madden class-action suit (/forums/showthread.php?t=331352)

uncle ruckus1 07-05-2009 02:33 AM

Madden class-action suit

gamespot.com"Northern California court allows Madden, NCAA, Arena Football anticompete class-action suit to proceed; hearing scheduled for January 14....This situation could be resolved with a well-placed hug.The suit, which was initially filed in June 2008 by a pair of gamers from Washington, DC, and California, alleges that EA has and continues to engage in "blatantly anticompetitive conduct" since 2004. At that time, EA and Take-Two Interactive released competing NFL Football products, resulting in a pricing war that saw Take-Two drop the price of its NFL 2K5 to $19.99 and EA cut Madden 2005's sticker tag to $29.95 in response....However, the suit alleges that rather than continue the pricing war with Take-Two, EA secured the aforementioned exclusivity deals. With no Take-Two competitor the following year, the suit noted that Electronic Arts raised the price of Madden 2006 back to $49.95, an increase of nearly 70 percent. Madden NFL's current going rate retails for as much as $59.95...That plaintiffs' motion for class certification is currently scheduled for September 24, with the full hearing expected to commence January 14, 2010."

my question here is how many of you guys would stand by EA and would like to see EA come out victorious.

sportzbro 07-05-2009 03:02 AM

Re: Madden class-action suit

i dont understand why people continue to take EA to court..You do not win.

iLukeisamazing 07-05-2009 03:12 AM

This is patently ridiculous. Really? Apparently people do not understand how things work here and how a person can bid for exclusive services and rights to those services in an area or across the globe. The NFL and EA were both free to do what they chose, and they did it, without coercion. EA offered them money, they accepted and gave their official branding to EA.

Does it reduce competitiveness in the market? Perhaps. Is it illegal? No. Will it reduce in any change on EA or the NFLs part? No, they make too much money and it won't be deemed illegal.

This happens in every facet of life, every day. I really, REALLY wish that people would take time to understand the commonplace realities of America and the justice system before hitching their dreams to such wagons.

Instant C1a55ic 07-05-2009 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iLukeisamazing (Post 2039782439)
This is patently ridiculous. Really? Apparently people do not understand how things work here and how a person can bid for exclusive services and rights to those services in an area or across the globe. The NFL and EA were both free to do what they chose, and they did it, without coercion. EA offered them money, they accepted and gave their official branding to EA.

Does it reduce competitiveness in the market? Perhaps. Is it illegal? No. Will it reduce in any change on EA or the NFLs part? No, they make too much money and it won't be deemed illegal.

This happens in every facet of life, every day. I really, REALLY wish that people would take time to understand the commonplace realities of America and the justice system before hitching their dreams to such wagons.

:appl:

kjcheezhead 07-05-2009 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle ruckus (Post 2039782365)

my question here is how many of you guys would stand by EA and would like to see EA come out victorious.

No I would never stand behind EA or wish they come out victorious. I, like most people I suspect, have no true loyalty to a game company. I play the football game that I think is the most fun. I've never been a 2k5 fan, but I haven't been happy with madden lately either.

Will EA win this suit? I'm positive they will.

Fox1994 07-05-2009 03:33 AM

^+1... If 2K was also allowed to make a game and they both produced quality products, I'd be more than happy to buy both. However, that's not the case.

Not as an insult to 2K, but I sort of want them to lose. But, it's not going to happen.

Cusefan 07-05-2009 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjcheezhead (Post 2039782460)
No I would never stand behind EA or wish they come out victorious. I, like most people I suspect, have no true loyalty to a game company. I play the football game that I think is the most fun. I've never been a 2k5 fan, but I haven't been happy with madden lately either.

I feel the same way, I have no Loyalty to a game company unless they continue to crap pure gold(R*north, Infinity Ward, etc etc). But it is annoying when people who blindly buy anything that company puts on the shelves. That is the reason why NBA Live actually sold a good amount of games when their product was trash. Its also the reason why some people here continue to call Madden a Monopoly...

shotgun styles 07-05-2009 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjcheezhead (Post 2039782460)

The only way to beat EA is to go around the license. Make a better game that has a fully functioning player/team/league creation feature.

Done and done. F--k EA.