Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Player regression at 30 (/forums/showthread.php?t=336779)

Soul2zion 07-19-2009 10:48 PM

Player regression at 30

I know it's old news, but now I'm really thinking about it and I hope they didn't go regression crazy.

One of the developers said that once a player turns 30 his ratings will regress "at warp speed." Now I know he was exxagerating with the use of warp, but I hope great players don't lose their abilities extremely fast since they've turn 30, you know something akin to Adrian Peterson going from 99 to 94 just because he's a year older in the 5 year of your franchise. A 2-3 point drop a year would seem cool, I hope it's more in this range.

NOSproductions 07-19-2009 11:01 PM

Re: Player regression at 30

I think it was said that the warp speed regression was geared at runningbacks. I hope it's not too bad because that will probably mean I get to use Brian Westbrook for about 2 years before he starts to tank really bad. :(

Exonerated 07-19-2009 11:14 PM

QB's and kickers can play till 40+ if they're happy or have high morale.

Biodawg03 07-19-2009 11:33 PM

I really don't see the problem with this, especially if they base it on amount of carries.

Just look at Shaun Alexander, that guy was MVP and a guaranteed 1400 yards and 15 TDs a year... then he turned 30 and fell apart quickly... injuries were harder to get over etc.

I just feel that having things like injury and stamina start to dip would be legit.... only freaks like Jerry Rice are able to stay at skill positions and put up solid numbers into their 40's.... and outside of say Emmitt Smith very few RBs have been able to carry the lion share of the carries past 30 and maintain.... of course he had a monster line and was extremely tough.

Westbrook is a different story... the guy doesn't really carry the ball a ton (ie Larry Johnson) and gets a lot of touches through pass plays... I don't think you will see him drop off as quickly... but I wouldn't expect him to be the main man for the Eagles for more than 3 or 4 more seasons.

Soul2zion 07-19-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biodawg03 (Post 2039863776)
I really don't see the problem with this, especially if they base it on amount of carries.

Just look at Shaun Alexander, that guy was MVP and a guaranteed 1400 yards and 15 TDs a year... then he turned 30 and fell apart quickly... injuries were harder to get over etc.

I just feel that having things like injury and stamina start to dip would be legit.... only freaks like Jerry Rice are able to stay at skill positions and put up solid numbers into their 40's.... and outside of say Emmitt Smith very few RBs have been able to carry the lion share of the carries past 30 and maintain.... of course he had a monster line and was extremely tough.

Westbrook is a different story... the guy doesn't really carry the ball a ton (ie Larry Johnson) and gets a lot of touches through pass plays... I don't think you will see him drop off as quickly... but I wouldn't expect him to be the main man for the Eagles for more than 3 or 4 more seasons.

I think injuries factored more into Shaun Alexander's regression. That season after the MVP year was abysmal even before the injury though. He was playing like he'd just forgotten how to play running back. I don't think this had anything to do with turning 30. In real life as one gets older they gradually see decline in their speed and agility, but I don't think these declines are enough to make a great running back have a terrible career after. Just look at Curtis Martin who was neck and neck in rushing yards with Alexander that year and he was 32/33.

H1DR03L3KTRIC 07-20-2009 12:19 AM

Or how about Mr. Fred Taylor, 33 years old and still has it.

kcarr 07-20-2009 12:47 AM

A player with around a 95-99 rating even with one year drop will probably at the age of 31 put them around 85-90. This is still enough to be effective and in a good situation put up very good numbers.

As far as curtis martin he one solid season at 31 years old and dropped off afterwards with one much weaker season and then was done.

As far as fred taylor, how do you know he still "has it"? At 31 he was good playing behind a strong line and sharing carries with MJD. Last season however he ran for 556 yards and one TD gaining less than 4 yards per carry for the first time since 2001 only gaining 654 total yards from scrimmage and 2 total touchdowns. Who knows if he will bounce back this season or not? History tells us he is probably done considering that is the case with like 95% of running backs by that point in their career.

adembroski 07-20-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soul2zion (Post 2039863503)
I know it's old news, but now I'm really thinking about it and I hope they didn't go regression crazy.

One of the developers said that once a player turns 30 his ratings will regress "at warp speed." Now I know he was exxagerating with the use of warp, but I hope great players don't lose their abilities extremely fast since they've turn 30, you know something akin to Adrian Peterson going from 99 to 94 just because he's a year older in the 5 year of your franchise. A 2-3 point drop a year would seem cool, I hope it's more in this range.

Josh Looman is the guy you heard say that, and I brought this up with him once. He was specifically talking about running backs. Other positions take longer to start hitting their downswing.