Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Hitch Step: Is it just me, or is there no hitch step in Madden? (/forums/showthread.php?t=340415)

titansftw 07-29-2009 05:22 PM

Hitch Step: Is it just me, or is there no hitch step in Madden?

When passing, especially in the west coast offense, you will see QBs take hitch steps before they throw (I mention the west coast offense because in it, your hitches sort of "tell you" when to move to the next read, since the routes are synchronized with the QBs foot work- for example, on many plays, the second hitch step tells the QB that it's time to look for the dump off route).

Watch this and you will see a few hitch steps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsjauWyLqGU

(at 1:40 you'll see what I mean about hitch steps telling you to look for the dump off. After about his second hitch, his dump off leaked out into the flat, open, but Hasselbeck just ignored him and took a sack)

From what I see, the QB in Madden just drops back and then just kind of waddles, rather than dropping back and then hitching forward like a real QB.

Why is this?

Am I the only one who wants hitch steps in the game?

MCNABB51BOI 07-29-2009 06:02 PM

Re: Hitch Step: Is it just me, or is there no hitch step in Madden?

NICE i like that idea . i like that making guys understand the way a qbs number of drops steps and footwork would be tight. but i doubt it will ever happen just like the cone guys didnt know how to make reads and play real ball. i love the idea

Brophog 07-29-2009 06:12 PM

Definitely one of those things that can be added.

That is a way of keeping timing for many offenses. There are several, but utilizing a hitch step is one of the more common.

titansftw 07-29-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brophog (Post 2039924754)
Definitely one of those things that can be added.

That is a way of keeping timing for many offenses. There are several, but utilizing a hitch step is one of the more common.

The way I see it, if the animations are automatic, it could definitely be a cue for when to throw the ball, or when to look for the outlet receiver, ASSUMING EA designs the play books (especially the WCO ones) so that the routes of the receivers match the QB footwork (unless they are jammed, of course).

Another thing they should do is instead of having yellow and orange routes when you look at the play art, they should color code them for the proper progression you're supposed to take. Maybe like, Red, orange, Yellow, then blue for outlet, and maybe white for a built- in hot route?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCNABB51BOI (Post 2039924699)
NICE i like that idea . i like that making guys understand the way a qbs number of drops steps and footwork would be tight. but i doubt it will ever happen just like the cone guys didnt know how to make reads and play real ball. i love the idea

That makes me sad. I mean, why not just have an option for sim or arcade? For sim mode, add in the hitch steps and so forth. For arcade, just turn it off and use the Madden waddle.

jhoff7324 07-29-2009 07:13 PM

Most QB coaches preech not to take a hitch unless they need it to get that extra umph into the throw. a 3 step drop should never have a hitch. otherwith youll be hitching into the line and youre sacked. but with 5 and 7 step drops you will see it occasionally. But you do see it sometimes and i think it should be in.

Brophog 07-29-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titansftw (Post 2039924985)
Another thing they should do is instead of having yellow and orange routes when you look at the play art, they should color code them for the proper progression you're supposed to take. Maybe like, Red, orange, Yellow, then blue for outlet, and maybe white for a built- in hot route?

That's certainly another good idea, but would take a lot of work. In a real offense, your reads may change based on defensive alignment, pass protection called, option routes, tags, etcetera. Plays are built as segments in real life, on both sides of the ball, and in video game form they are distinct entities (which has, imo, always been a shortcoming.)

((You give examples of the west coast structure several times, so I am going to assume you know something of what I am talking about. The west coast offense is as much a common playcall structure as it is identifiable by its other components. ))

Reads are another extension of that. If I'm developing an offensive play, I have coaching points that may give different progressions for a variety of defenses I may see, based on what I would typically face. I could have how many varieties then, based on the same unique play.

With the way Madden does the playcalling structure, that's a lot of coding to be potentially done, given the myriad of variables.

Mofficial 07-29-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titansftw (Post 2039924468)
When passing, especially in the west coast offense, you will see QBs take hitch steps before they throw (I mention the west coast offense because in it, your hitches sort of "tell you" when to move to the next read, since the routes are synchronized with the QBs foot work- for example, on many plays, the second hitch step tells the QB that it's time to look for the dump off route).

Watch this and you will see a few hitch steps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsjauWyLqGU

(at 1:40 you'll see what I mean about hitch steps telling you to look for the dump off. After about his second hitch, his dump off leaked out into the flat, open, but Hasselbeck just ignored him and took a sack)

From what I see, the QB in Madden just drops back and then just kind of waddles, rather than dropping back and then hitching forward like a real QB.

Why is this?

Am I the only one who wants hitch steps in the game?

That video also shows how the "fight for the fumble" should be.

titansftw 07-29-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhoff7324 (Post 2039925093)
Most QB coaches preech not to take a hitch unless they need it to get that extra umph into the throw. a 3 step drop should never have a hitch. otherwith youll be hitching into the line and youre sacked. but with 5 and 7 step drops you will see it occasionally. But you do see it sometimes and i think it should be in.

This is generally for 5 or 7 step drops, and with the west coast offense you see it on the majority of these pass plays. It isn't just for upmh. In fact, in the WCO one major purpose of it is to already be in position to throw when you move to the next receiver (according to Walsh). That's why the hitches are timed with the receiver breaks.