Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   QB accuracy ratings a head-scratcher (/forums/showthread.php?t=342590)

Texas Ace 08-05-2009 08:47 PM

QB accuracy ratings a head-scratcher

If any of you have played the demo with Tony Romo then you'll know that he has some really wacky passes that come nowhere near the receiver, especially when throwing over 20 yards.

Romo may be a choker and a bit erratic, but he's one of the more accurate passers in the game.

I went to double check his accuracy ratings and compared them to Kurt Warner's since that is who I play with in the extended demo.

Anyway, I was looking at the QB accuracy ratings and they don't make a lot of sense to me.

For example, Romo has a 91 overall accuracy yet his highest individual accuracy rating is an 88 I believe, while his lowest (deep ball) is a 79 I think.

Kurt Warner has an accuracy rating of 88 but yet he's in the 90's in the short and mid ratings and in the 80's in the long ball.

How can Romo have a higher overall accuracy rating by 3 points over Warner but yet is about 5 points less in the short and mid ratings and so low in the deep ball ratings?

Can someone explain to me how this makes any sense?

mmorg 08-05-2009 08:54 PM

Re: QB accuracy ratings a head-scratcher

Regarding Romo's bad passes, you realize that the conditions on the field are snowy and have 15 MPH winds right? This would be why those medium to long passes are very inaccurate.

Regarding the ratings I have no idea how those work. I am sure the general Pass Accuracy rating doesn't mean much since they introduced the new ratings.

xanmank 08-05-2009 08:55 PM

I thought someone said the overall throw accuracy doesn't mean much- it's just a number, while the individual rating mean a lot more (kinda like how awareness doesn't mean much when they have play-recogition or man/zone coverage for defense).

I think it was case that the Devs couldn't just get rid of Awareness or Throw Acc. because some code was still tied to it, and some random calculations still depended on these ratings, so it would have caused problems removing those categories, rather than give them less importance. I hope that makes sense- I might not have used the right terminology.

Texas Ace 08-05-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmorg (Post 2039961613)
Regarding Romo's bad passes, you realize that the conditions on the field are snowy and have 15 MPH winds right? This would be why those medium to long passes are very inaccurate.

Regarding the ratings I have no idea how those work. I am sure the general Pass Accuracy rating doesn't mean much since they introduced the new ratings.

I have taken into account that there is inclement weather in the Cowboys-Giants demo.

I just didn't get how his accuracy was so average in contrast to his 91 overall accuracy rating.

mmorg 08-05-2009 09:01 PM

Because the Passing Accuracy rating doesn't mean anything anymore. It's just a carryover rating from the legacy ratings, much like awareness is for defensive players.

Ian_Cummings 08-05-2009 09:02 PM

Overall accuracy doesn't matter anymore - short, medium, deep, and throw on the run are the numbers you should care about.

Tony's career completion percent is 63.6%. What are you seeing in the demo?

Jobe111 08-05-2009 09:05 PM

Nvrmind ^

And Tony Romo finished somewhere around 15th in the league in Completion percentage last year. While Warner finished in the top 3. So that'd seem right

(Don't quote me on those numbers, but I'm pretty sure there right)

MattieShoes 08-05-2009 09:09 PM

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...erc_active.htm

Romo is 6/35 among active QBs in completion percentage, ahead of guys like Tom Brady.
Eli Manning is 30/35 among active QBs in completion percentage, behind guys like Josh McCown and J.P. Losman.

Romo averages 12.7 Y/C whereas Eli averages 11.5 Y/C. So he's not only more accurate, he's accurate while throwing deeper passes (assuming YAC is roughly equal, I didn't actually go that far checking).

I don't have a problem with Romo's accuracy in a vacuum, it's just his accuracy relative to Eli Manning's in the demo. Eli seems much more accurate, which doesn't seem right. I don't care if Romo gets bumped up or Eli gets bumped down, but it feels way backwards to me right now.

Tracking stats in the demo is tricky since an entire game may get you stats like 3 for 4 thanks to the absurdly short quarters.