Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   How I Learned To Run In Madden 10 (/forums/showthread.php?t=357364)

don28 09-13-2009 06:35 PM

How I Learned To Run In Madden 10

I'm playing a franchise with the Kansas City Chiefs (my 2nd favorite team after the Titans.) The Chiefs' offensive line is one of the worst, if not the worst, in the game. I spent time experimenting and reading the boards, and found something that has made running the ball possible again.

I have called aggressive blocking on the slide protection most of the time on running plays. On plays where the defense has pinched their defenders close together, I may call the pinch blocking slide protection. Combine this with game speed of VERY SLOW and ALL-PRO skill level, I am able to average 4.0 yards per carry with the Chiefs. Against Minnesota, I even managed a respectable 3.7 yards per carry.

The standard running game logic applies. DO NOT press sprint as soon as the ball is snapped. Also, wait a half-second for the blocks to develop before running forward. That half-second is making the difference between being stuffed or finding a hole to run into.

Anyone else doing this?

Bears_16_and_0 09-13-2009 06:52 PM

Re: How I Learned To Run In Madden 10

ive been begging for someone to explain exactly what 'aggressive' does, but no answers. I think it does help in the running game a little though from what ive seen. I played a my-skill 7minute franchise with the bears and I probably averaged maybe 3.5 with forte =(

I think some of the problem is that apparently the CPU AI comes out in their base D like almost everytime on 1st and 10 and 2nd down. This means that If I try to run out of like a 3wide single back, the CPU isn't playing nickel. I think I have to get in I if I want to have a chance to run...

don28 09-13-2009 07:12 PM

More times than not, I wind up passing on first down because of the CPU AI playing the run almost every time. I change it up every so often, because the CPU actually does seem to adjust if it's done every time.

Also, set the audibles to have one HB Dive play as well as one HB outside run play. This way I can audible on the defense if their favoring one type over another.

crumpled_heap 09-13-2009 07:48 PM

Slide protection is only supposed to be used on passing plays.

don28 09-13-2009 07:53 PM

In the Prima Madden Guide, it recommends using slide protection when the defense stacks the side of the line you plan to run towards. So I started trying the slide protection as left and right, but it was too inconsistent. I decided to try aggressive since the linemen seemed too passive for my liking without slide protection. If the blocking was better I wouldn't bother.

JerzeyReign 09-13-2009 08:09 PM

R u guys serious? Wow, but aggressive doesn't always work. use that against the blitz. I honestly thought everybody knew that already, no offense 2 any1 but wowwwwww

Bears_16_and_0 09-13-2009 08:12 PM

if the developers or anyone could explain exactly what aggressive does that would be great. It is the only slide protection that doesnt have strengths and weakness lined out in even the prima strategy guide....

burne 09-13-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilgamesh348 (Post 2040173199)
Slide protection is only supposed to be used on passing plays.

It's only supposed to be used on passing plays, but it has an effect on running plays if you call it. Try calling left and right on running plays and you'll see your linemen doing the little slide left or right.