Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Entertainment & Technology (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   HBO's miniseries The Pacific (/forums/showthread.php?t=357790)

Stormyhog 09-14-2009 11:49 PM

HBO's miniseries The Pacific

Here is 2 trailers http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42340

ex carrabba fan 09-14-2009 11:56 PM

Re: HBO's miniseries The Pacific

I can't stand to watch this stuff.. too depressing.

I'll somehow end up watching every episode though.

Hanks and Spielberg.. should be good

HealyMonster 09-15-2009 12:12 AM

Its about John Basilone, he is our local war hero here where I am from in Jersey. Ill watch it for that reason alone. I been going to Basilone everything all my life, Basilone field, the statue, Basilone Parade, time for me to find out what this guy actually did to receive all those medals and accolades.

Apparently the Actor who plays him is coming town for some big event would be cool if they show dudes hometown and its where I am from.

sven 09-15-2009 02:24 AM

This is going to be badass!

chestnutz6 09-15-2009 08:25 PM

Can't wait for this. I loved Band of Brothers, and this looks to be super intense, and about what for the most part receives less media attention than the war in Europe.

SportsTop 01-09-2010 01:16 PM

Just saw the extended preview while waiting for Avatar to start.

It looks absolutely incredible. The real-life accounts by John Basilone (one of the most famous Marines in history) give this instant credibility.

http://www.hbo.com/events/pacific/

Too bad I'll be in Afghanistan for the entire series. Looks like I'll have to buy the box set when I get back.

Seymour Scagnetti 01-09-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chestnutz6 (Post 2040184729)
Can't wait for this. I loved Band of Brothers, and this looks to be super intense, and about what for the most part receives less media attention than the war in Europe.

I don't know what you mean about media attention but there have been many hollywood movies past and present (Sands of Iwo Jima and Flags of our Father most recently) about the Pacific Theater. I always found this part of the war more fascinating to read and watch simply because of the Japanese soldiers total devotion to die for thier country and commit suicide rather than be taken prisoner and this filtered down to the general population but not without gov't brainwashing to help and how it took 2 nuclear bombs for them to give up.

MassNole 01-09-2010 03:40 PM

My grandfather fought in the Pacific Rim during WW2, so this is a must see for me.