Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   How hard can it be!?! (/forums/showthread.php?t=365647)

DarthRambo 10-06-2009 08:42 AM

How hard can it be!?!

How freaking hard is it to make it where if I set Interception slider to ZERO, that I should NEVER see an interception, PERIOD! It's just beyond me anymore. Same way with tackling, and break tackles. If I set tackles to ZERO, the kicker should break a tackle from Ray Lewis. If I set Interceptions to ZERO, Ed Reed should NEVER intercept a ball thrown by me if I tried to give him one!

I am not that great at this game, and will never claim to. I create sliders to make the game as realistic as possible. Getting sick of the unrealistic interceptions tho. Wobbly ducks itercepted by DTs and ran back for TDs is stupid. Again, how hard is it to make sliders work?? If it's on ZERO, to me, that should say out of every 100 balls thrown, and hit the defenders hands, there will be ZERO intercepted. If I set it to 5, then that would be 5/100. It's 2010 guys, the least you can do is make the freakin sliders work!

born_bad 10-06-2009 08:45 AM

Re: How hard can it be!?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinity120 (Post 2040282752)
I create sliders to make the game as realistic as possible.

No interceptions is realistic?

Go into practice mode and stop throwing the ball into coverage. If you do throw into covergage, expect some interceptions. That is realistc.

DarthRambo 10-06-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by born_bad (Post 2040282757)
No interceptions is realistic?

Go into practice mode and stop throwing the ball into coverage. If you do throw into covergage, expect some interceptions. That is realistc.

Yes I know, I suck at the game I admit that. But that's why the sliders are there IMO. No interceptions isn't realistic, never said that. But me having 12INTs in 7 games with Carson Palmer is. I knw i throw into coverage i get that. But I'm not gonna get any better, it's just how I play and have played forever, I suck, again I admit that. I don't play online for that reason. and the cheaters online. But don't you agree that if you seta slider to ZERO, you should never see whatever that slider is for i.e. interceptions? I know I do. What else is the slider there for if it doesn't give me that?

RaiderKtulu 10-06-2009 09:13 AM

There's probably a good reason that the sliders don't work that way.

Think about the flipside of what you're asking for. INTs set to 100 would mean that every single pass is picked off. That'd be pretty ridiculous, don't you think?

The sliders are a difficulty modifier. You still have to deal with the player ratings.

I don't mean to sound like an ***, but if you're really that bad at the game, maybe you should take some time in practice mode and make an effort to get better, or play something else.

Dbrentonbuck 10-06-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu (Post 2040282825)
There's probably a good reason that the sliders don't work that way.

Think about the flipside of what you're asking for. INTs set to 100 would mean that every single pass is picked off. That'd be pretty ridiculous, don't you think?

The sliders are a difficulty modifier. You still have to deal with the player ratings.

I don't mean to sound like an ***, but if you're really that bad at the game, maybe you should take some time in practice mode and make an effort to get better, or play something else.

You are thinking about this wrong. You don't make the slider so that at 100 every pass is picked off because you expect people to play that way. You make it that way so that you have an absolute negative and an absolute positive so that the sliders from 1 to 99 make sense. As it stands, no one here knows what setting the slider at 50 means. If, even at 0 I am getting interceptions, then we have no clue by what scale we are measuring. Every slider should be set up this way. If pass rush is at 0 then every single DLman should get pancaked on every block and at 100 they should blow by every OLineman like a ghost. Why? Because then we can make sense of everything that is between 1 and 100.

countryboy 10-06-2009 09:26 AM

Sliders change player attributes, they don't eliminate something all together, nor make something happen all the time. In other words, 0 INT doesn't equate to zero interceptions and 100 INT doesn't equate to interceptions on every single pass play. Again, sliders alter player ratings, not the rate at which something happens.

Last year, Ian showed the formula for how it worked, but I can't find it right now.

RaiderKtulu 10-06-2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbrentonbuck (Post 2040282863)
You are thinking about this wrong. You don't make the slider so that at 100 every pass is picked off because you expect people to play that way. You make it that way so that you have an absolute negative and an absolute positive so that the sliders from 1 to 99 make sense. As it stands, no one here knows what setting the slider at 50 means. If, even at 0 I am getting interceptions, then we have no clue by what scale we are measuring. Every slider should be set up this way. If pass rush is at 0 then every single DLman should get pancaked on every block and at 100 they should blow by every OLineman like a ghost. Why? Because then we can make sense of everything that is between 1 and 100.

Interceptions are a hard slider to judge regardless. If 0 does produce no INTs, how many should 100 produce? Every pass? Every pass within X yards of a defender? How effective should it be?

But in your blocking example, it sounds percentage based and would make player ratings mean nothing (even more so than some people already believe). There's far too many ratings in use for the sliders to be that specific. You're dealing with modifications being made to weighted random outcomes. It isn't simple.

Flawed that it may be, the game is intended to be closest to reality with the sliders set to 50. 0 is easy, 100 is hard. 50 is normal. Play the game and adjust as needed. The results are far too random in both the game and reality to try to be that specific in slider adjustment.

Using the same set of sliders, I've had 9-6 games and I've had 41-31 games. I've given up 150 yards rushing, and I've held teams to less than 50.

Dianwei32 10-06-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinity120 (Post 2040282769)
Yes I know, I suck at the game I admit that. But that's why the sliders are there IMO. No interceptions isn't realistic, never said that. But me having 12INTs in 7 games with Carson Palmer is. I know i throw into coverage i get that. But I'm not gonna get any better, it's just how I play and have played forever, I suck, again I admit that. I don't play online for that reason. and the cheaters online. But don't you agree that if you seta slider to ZERO, you should never see whatever that slider is for i.e. interceptions? I know I do. What else is the slider there for if it doesn't give me that?

Well, if you throw into coverage all the time then of course you're going to get intercepted. It's BS that you say you're never going to get any better. I used to suck at Madden too, but if you just practice playing the game the way it should be played (i.e. reading the coverage and finding the open man, not just chucking it into double/triple coverage and hoping it's incomplete) then you can get better.

I think the sliders work fine. I've got INTs set at 0 for the CPU and they drop a large majority of balls that hit them right in the hands. They still make the occasional pick, but it's usually on a throw that I shouldn't have made because I didn't see the safety help over the top or I misread the coverage.

I don't think that you should complain about there being too may INTs when you admit that you throw the ball into coverage all the time.