Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   When I play franchise mode, I miss NFL Head Coach. (/forums/showthread.php?t=367986)

Dmacho 10-12-2009 01:54 PM

When I play franchise mode, I miss NFL Head Coach.

This is my only beef with Madden 10 and it's developers. They are making efforts to improve the gameplay, and they've succeded in that respect; however, they are using the exclusive license to their advantage as far as the franchise mode improvements or lack there of are concerned.

They said they were concentrating on fixing franchise first. Well, there shouldn't be any problems with stats as there are now. If all they were going to do was fix issues, when the game was released, no issues should have been present.

The Franchise mode has no depth what so ever. You play games, scout, draft, re-sign players, sign free agents, and then wash rinse repeat.

I would like the ability to create my own playbook; the contract negotiation systems needs to be revamped a little(see head coach 09), but what offline franchise mode really needs is a sort of game over element.

As it is now, you can take your franchise mode through 30 seasons; lose every last game, it doesn't matter, you can still continue your franchise for the full thirty years. That's not realistic, and it can lead to boredom, no matter how deep the mode actually is.

The possibility of being fired needs to be introduced to franchise mode. If you don't get to the playoffs in a certian number of seasons, you get fired. If you keep failing to make it deep into the playoffs, or you make deep into the playoffs, but you fail to bring home the Lombardi trophy, you may be fired.

They could also give you less control of the team when you start out, and give you more and more as you succeed or take some away if you don't; ultimatley the owner will end up firing you.

At first you'd start out as head coach ; however, the general manager would have control in who you sign, scout, trade and release( it's like this with a lot of teams). When scouting, the GM would select the positions that you can scout. When drafting players, each round the GM would determine your needs, and limit you to a group of players to pick from. In FA, the GM would limit you to a certian group of players to chose from in FA. The GM may aslo trade or cut players without asking you.

If you have more success with more of the decisions you make within the limits that the GM gives you, the limits the GM gives you will decrease. If a lot of your players are progressing or you had a good year, the GM would let you scout the players; however, in the draft the GM would still limit you to a certian group players each round to pick from. Have some more success, the GM will let now let you draft who ever you want, but will still sign, release and cut players. Have even more success, and you'll have control of everything. You're now the head coach and GM( It's like this with a lot of teams too).

If you're ultra successful, the head coach may retire; however you're franchise wouldn't end, it would just allow you to hire another head coach. If we're going for realism here, we can't have coaches coaching for 30 years.

I feel that EA is using the exclusive license to there advantage in this respect ; if there was competition, the franchise mode would be much deeper than this. IR is still useless.

Either release another Head Coach game, or implement HC09's elements into madden 11.

I don't mind paying for both games. I like the gameplay in madden 10, but when I play franchise, I miss HC09.

DJ 10-12-2009 02:16 PM

Re: When I play franchise mode, I miss NFL Head Coach.

I feel the same way. I enjoy the gameplay in Madden but the Franchise Mode is lacking in certain aspects. HC was so engrossing; I didn't think I'd enjoy a game like that but once I started playing, I was hooked.

I was thinking of firing HC up again just to play as a complement to Madden.

Articula 10-12-2009 02:34 PM

While I'm a proponent of every single thing you have listed there, the problem is the masses probably don't want that much detail. Its hard for EA to hit a medium in my opinion. How much depth do they put in to entice the hardcore franchise fans while still appealing to the more casual franchisers/gamers?

The best option in my opinion is too incorporate everything you listed above while allowing for the user to customize as much as possible.

Don't want the pressure of being fired? Turn it off.

Don't want to do the draft? Let the computer handle it.

Personally I want everything - draft, scouting, finances, FA, Full GM mode.

But it doesn't help if you can't turn it off, you will just push away the casual folks.

Dmacho 10-12-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Articula (Post 2040314771)
While I'm a proponent of every single thing you have listed there, the problem is the masses probably don't want that much detail. Its hard for EA to hit a medium in my opinion. How much depth do they put in to entice the hardcore franchise fans while still appealing to the more casual franchisers/gamers?

The best option in my opinion is too incorporate everything you listed above while allowing for the user to customize as much as possible.

Don't want the pressure of being fired? Turn it off.

Don't want to do the draft? Let the computer handle it.

Personally I want everything - draft, scouting, finances, FA, Full GM mode.

But it doesn't help if you can't turn it off, you will just push away the casual folks.

In Head Coach 09, you could sim through most of the stuff if you wanted to anyway. You didn't have to draft, scout, cut, deactivate play the games or call the plays.

Lieutenant Dan 10-12-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Articula (Post 2040314771)
While I'm a proponent of every single thing you have listed there, the problem is the masses probably don't want that much detail.

BINGO

Hopefully, if Josh is given another full dev cycle for Madden 11's franchise, we'll see some really good things next year.

I agree that HC09 is amazing, but it's a niche game. We can only hope and pray Josh is able to infuse as much of that vibe and control as possible into Madden 11. My hands feel a little tied in Franchise Mode this year compared to HC.

Glorious Arc 10-12-2009 03:22 PM

The title of this thread speaks my opinion. I was honestly baffled at the lack of improvement in M10 compared to what was in HC09. Lets be honest the list of additions or fixes to franchise was pathetic compared to HC09.

Changed the PBP(player based progression) system to create the erroneous belief that players are progressing. HC had the coaches and their skills improve the players who were getting playing time.

Added potential but used Overall for when potential would stop. HC made every single attribute have its own individual potential.

Changed the overall formula for some positions(specifically LB I think) HC let you choose the type of players you wanted and would rate players to the overall of the style of player you wanted. Example would be I want a cover 2 CB so a CB with 99 man and 60 zone coverage would only be an overall 70 something instead of an 80+ overall that he would be in madden.

Madden made injuries happen a little bit more. HC had a system that kept track of players health of their entire body. If you had a RB with 40 health in his left leg, he will more then likely get hurt in his left leg even if he has high injury. Players health degraded over the years and represented RL aging.

Madden added a very basic and imo almost useless scouting system. HC had scouting year round, combine, pro days, and individual workouts. Each one unlocked new info about players that you were looking at.

Madden "fixed" draft logic and contracts. IMO these fixes were again basic and still faulty. Specifically speaking I saw the Bucs in a fantasy draft have LT. They drafted a RB with the 4th pick of the draft. The next year they drafted another RB with the 1st of 1st. Unless they are the loins they have no need for that much cap space in one position. Madden also made contract signing one sided. The CPU gets bargin deals and the player gets shafted with huge contracts. I remember having a 1st of 10th pick QB being the highest paid rookie from the premade draft players out of 3 drafts I did. Rookies also dont get the correct bonus amount they would IRL. HC obviously didnt have this and they allowed for better contract signing(you could add in bonuses like catch 10 TD passes get 1 mil extra to the contract)

Premade drafts is the only place where madden wins. Madden allowed for a random draft path to happen. HC had a static line of drafts out of 4 different paths. But they both fail because they did not randomize the players names ect ect. Which means the paths get old and the player will know everyone and all the good players after a few times playing.

I could now continue about what HC has that madden doesnt have but I felt just giving the comparison to what Madden 10 "improved" in franchise to what HC09 had was a good enough list to make people realize how much franchise is getting shafted.

stlstudios189 10-12-2009 05:27 PM

I would pay extra for a special edition copy that has a second disc that you add to your HD and incorperates the Head Coach aspects to your Madden dynasty. Make the normal version $50 and make the "special" edition $70. It's a win win you get more of your casual gamers and us crazys pay a little more for the game we want.

kingkilla56 10-12-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlstudios189 (Post 2040315569)
I would pay extra for a special edition copy that has a second disc that you add to your HD and incorperates the Head Coach aspects to your Madden dynasty. Make the normal version $50 and make the "special" edition $70. It's a win win you get more of your casual gamers and us crazys pay a little more for the game we want.

Paying extra doesnt sound good to me