Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Would random potentials work? (/forums/showthread.php?t=369065)

RayAllen20 10-15-2009 07:29 PM

Would random potentials work?

I hate potential now because it allows Madden to predict the future and you can't change it that much.

So how about random potential for each player each time you go into franchise mode. For example, Matheww Stafford could be an A in one franchise and be a C in another. This would make it so you wouldn't know the future of your player.

Also I'd love it if they just hid potential. It would be fantastic. That way I can't just tell how good my player will be in 6 years. Because in the NFL they can't do that.

Daniels 10-15-2009 07:46 PM

Re: Would random potentials work?

Hiding potential is a good idea. Making it random is a terrible, terrible idea.

filtertmp 10-15-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniels (Post 2040330187)
Hiding potential is a good idea. Making it random is a terrible, terrible idea.

+1

deadlyCane 10-15-2009 08:58 PM

I like the potential rating. It's just the way in which it is implemented that is bad. The way it is implemented now it pretty much caps a player's OVR and progress based on his potential ratings. I don't know the exact cap numbers but for argument's sake assume C potential players are not able to go above 75 OVR, B not above 85 and A can get as high as 99. Here is what I would do with potential:

I would still assign ratings that are visible. However, these ratings would not be definite. My system would use probability formulas to determine a player's progression. This formula would recalculate during the progression stage every off-season. Alternatively, it could be calculated on a one-time basis when the franchise starts or the player is drafted into the franchise. Using probabilities, an A potential player would have an 80% chance of being rated from 85 to 99 throughout his career. A B potential player would have a 60% chance, a C potential player would have a 40% chance. A D potential player a 20% chance, and a F potential player a 5 to 10% chance.

Under my proposal, the potential rating would be factored in with performance or playing time to determine progression. Maybe something like 85 to 90% weighted to the potential rating and 10-15% other factors. Maybe even have different weightings for different position groups because it's sometimes not playing a young QB early is better for their development.

This proposed system would give us true boom and bust players because then you could have an A potential player that never reach their potential We would also have the possibility of a player who was drafted with F potential over achieves to become a 90+ rated player.