Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Average Broken Tackles? (/forums/showthread.php?t=373761)

jacory12 11-03-2009 02:23 PM

Average Broken Tackles?

Does anyone know how tackles are broken per rush on average? **In a real NFL game btw.

rspencer86 11-03-2009 02:33 PM

Re: Average Broken Tackles?

The following doesn't really answer your question but it's on the topic:

I think Madden has a problem with differentiating "missed" tackles and "broken" tackles. In the NFL, there are a lot of missed tackles every game—where defenders just barely get a hand on a ballcarrier due to a bad angle, slipping, a change of direction by the ballcarrier, etc.

Broken tackles happen every game in real life as well, but at a much lower rate. Broken tackles are when a defender is in good position but does not make a tackle. Examples include getting ran over, stiffarmed, going for a big hit and having the ballcarrier bounce off, etc.

There are too many broken tackles in Madden and not enough missed tackles. The problem is that momentum/pursuit isn't done very well in Madden, so you won't see defenders overrun an angle and lunge to just get an arm on a ballcarrier. To make up for it, Madden has an overabundance of broken tackles—otherwise it would be too hard to run.

That's how I see it anyway.

jacory12 11-03-2009 02:57 PM

Yeah I couldn't agree with you more. After watching a few more highlights of Adrian Peterson, I noticed that many of his big runs were because of defensive players slipping all around him.

Good point, and it although it doesn't answer my question, it makes me okay with the amount of broken tackles because I will just look at it as the players slipping and taking bad angles.

maademperor 11-03-2009 03:37 PM

indeed, thats why Broken Tackles arent a recorded stat IRL. if you cant definitively identify one, you cant really credit it. I'm not even sure that all the actual broken tackles in madden are actually recorded.

I had Michael Turner bust through no less than 11 would be tackles in a game I had against the falcons last night and it said he only broke 7 at the end of the game...and I mean head up, straight ahead tackles, he left bodies in his wake...he was like a Rhino on PCP and steroids that had to pee real bad and the bathroom was 12 yards down field every play or something

jvaccaro 11-03-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rspencer86 (Post 2040407318)
I think Madden has a problem with differentiating "missed" tackles and "broken" tackles. In the NFL, there are a lot of missed tackles every game—where defenders just barely get a hand on a ballcarrier due to a bad angle, slipping, a change of direction by the ballcarrier, etc.

Broken tackles happen every game in real life as well, but at a much lower rate. Broken tackles are when a defender is in good position but does not make a tackle. Examples include getting ran over, stiffarmed, going for a big hit and having the ballcarrier bounce off, etc.

One thing I notice absent from the game is the ball carrier (especially WRs) dropping to the ground to avoid a big hit.

In the NFL, players will recognize they're going against multiple large defenders, and if the extra yard or two isn't crucial, they'll usually hit the dirt so they don't get creamed and risk a fumble.

There should be a 'tackle' animation that is really the high AWR players giving up the extra yard and not even trying to break a tackle, but rather collapsing just below a big hit attempt by the opposition...

CreatineKasey 11-03-2009 04:20 PM

User defenders tackle better so if you user tackle, you can really lock down a run game by just running normal pursuit as you wont be shucked very often. I agree about the momentum, setting up guys and really shaking them out of their boots is very very hard in a game like this where you can for the most part turn on a dime. At least it is toned down when sprinting.

bang911 11-03-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvaccaro (Post 2040407578)
One thing I notice absent from the game is the ball carrier (especially WRs) dropping to the ground to avoid a big hit.

In the NFL, players will recognize they're going against multiple large defenders, and if the extra yard or two isn't crucial, they'll usually hit the dirt so they don't get creamed and risk a fumble.

There should be a 'tackle' animation that is really the high AWR players giving up the extra yard and not even trying to break a tackle, but rather collapsing just below a big hit attempt by the opposition...

If you tap the dive button as a WR they will fall to the ground exactly how you explain it. The CPU never does this though.

Exonerated 11-04-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bang911 (Post 2040409472)
If you tap the dive button as a WR they will fall to the ground exactly how you explain it. The CPU never does this though.

Not always. SOmetimes you will dive forward, and will fumble without being touched.