Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Dallas Cowboys @ Philadelphia Eagles (/forums/showthread.php?t=373928)

CM Hooe 11-04-2009 04:15 AM

Dallas Cowboys @ Philadelphia Eagles

A bit early in the week to post a thread, but this game has fairly significant implications for conference and division positioning. The winner will take sole control of the NFC East and advance to 6-2, while the loser will be just a step back from that and right in the thick of the wild card hunt.

I'll be perfectly honest, I have no read on this year's Eagles team. They stomped the Giants, but lose to the Raiders and struggle offensively against the Redskins. Looking into it, it appears that when McNabb throws less than 25 passes this season, the Eagles are undefeated.

This is the next "big-game" opportunity for the Cowboys and Tony Romo this season. They win this, they'll start getting some national attention again, for better or worse. They lose, and, while they don't really lose any ground in that regard, the critics' opinions will be affirmed once again that this team just isn't big-game material.

Plenty of matchups to watch here, among them: Tony Romo and Miles Austin both against the Eagles' deep corps of defensive backs; the Eagles' somewhat-inconsistent offensive line against the Cowboys' defensive front seven, which has been on a tear the past couple of games as far as getting sacks is concerned; and Donovan McNabb and Desean Jackson against a Cowboys secondary that, while improving, still needs to have a good game against an established, talented passing offense.

elgreazy1 11-04-2009 07:34 AM

Re: Dallas Cowboys @ Philadelphia Eagles

You've got some good matchups there. I agree, it feels DeSean Jackson is going to be one of the biggest factors in this game. The Cowboys always seem to have trouble defending a homerun WR; it's been that way since they by-passed Moss in the 90's. While Austin to Romo has been money, I'm still very worried about what that Eagles secondary can do; they have a lot of talent, easily the most talented secondary this team has faced all year. Romo is playing with somethign he hasn't had in a while: confidence & swagger. The guy is getting those lucky breaks again (tipped completions, open guys, staying alive in the pocket, etc) and that coupled with the offenses' newfound ability to spread the ball around will be tough for the Eagles D to slow down, so they'll have to get to Romo & co early, physical, and often.

For some reason, I feel the Vick-led Wildcat is about to be unleashed in this game. We've only seen wrinkles of it but it seems while it may not be smooth on the field, I'm sure the team has practiced the plays enough at this point in the season. I dunno, something about the Eagles, Reid, & Co that makes me think they've been saving this for an important game and who better than the Cowboys for possession of the NFC East lead? Snap to Vick, dump off in the flat to McNabb, deep pass to Jackson. Snap to Vick, end around to Jackson. I dunno, something insane will happen though.

This game, in essense, is a no win for Cowboys fans. Win and the media gives us way too much attention and pressure which we've seen this team not handle too well in the past. Lose and the media dog-piles on the team stating they're just pretenders.

N51_rob 11-04-2009 07:42 AM

I always like when these two get together over the last 3 or 4 seasons. I can't wait for this one.

utexas 11-04-2009 08:04 AM

Desean Jackson is a huge matchup problem. It will be interesting to see what Wade comes up with to limit his opportunities. The great equalizer is a dominant pass rush, which we have and it is starting to round back into last years form. The more pressure we can put on McNabb, the more success we will have. The eagles have taken a step back defensively, but they DB's are still dangerous. We have to establish the run early in this game. We may see a lot of the full house formation with all three backs in the game to gve the defense a different look and hopefully spring a few big plays. I am really looking forward to this battle for first place in the NFC east!!!

ScoobySnax 11-04-2009 10:06 AM

I would rather play Newman on Jackson with Sensabaugh helping over the top. Of course that leaves Maclin one on one with Mike Jenkins, but I really like that matchup with the way Jenkins has come on as of late. Can't wait for Sunday Night!

JBH3 11-04-2009 10:26 AM

Nice post Krion. All I've got to say till Sunday is 44-6. :smile:

ScoobySnax 11-04-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBH3 (Post 2040410402)
Nice post Krion. All I've got to say till Sunday is 44-6. :smile:

We will soon be redeemed lol!

ODogg 11-04-2009 10:51 AM

I think we'll lose. The Cowboys have a bad habit the last couple of years of losing a game, then playing better and better until the next big game, then blowing it, then starting over, getting better and better until a big matchup, losing it, rinse and repeat.

But who knows, it really depends upon which Eagles team shows up I think. I hope to heck we can pull it out though as I despise the Eagles more than any other team.