Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Effective Blitzing in Madden - Is it Possible? (/forums/showthread.php?t=374668)

Valdarez 11-07-2009 12:58 PM

Effective Blitzing in Madden - Is it Possible?

I have the most experience playing Super Tecmo Bowl, and APF2K8, so you guys know where I'm coming from. Obviouslly STB has not bearing, but in APF2K8 when playing a DLine man, you could pull off all kinds of moves (Swim, Rip, 360, Bull Charge), but for the life of me I haven't figured out how to do the same in Madden 10.

Is it possible to pull off power moves with DLineman in Madden 10? If so, then how? Could someone please explain each power move?

One of the other items in APF2K8 which I really liked was setting up my blitzes. It wasn't easy to do it right, primarily due to LBs getting thrown off by the movement of the QB, however, when it worked it was a thing of beauty. To setup a blitz in APF2K8 you had to do the following:

1) First call the right DLine call (Fan, Razor, Pinch, other) in order to open up the right gap for blitzing (A, or B).
2) Have a LB Blitzing (or hot Blitz him) and move him (using LB to move all LBs, or move him manually) so his arrow goes to the correct gap
3) Make sure you cover hot routes so the QB has no where to go

It wasn't easy, especially with LBs tendencies to not follow their blitz route.

In Madden, I haven't figured out a valid way to blitz properly. The closest I have come to it is an overload blitz on the weak side, but this leaves you open to some pretty big runs / passes, and especially screens on the strong side. I have visited various sites that explain how to perform blitzes, but IMHO they are all nano blitzes that are little more than exploits as they are taking advantage of the games inability to have the HB move into position to block a LB lined up between two DLineman on the opposite side. For some reason these sites think it's great 'strategy', but to me it's an exploit. Anyhow... can anyone explain how to effectively blitz in Madden without using a nano blitz? Is it possible other than with an overload?

adam45h 11-07-2009 02:10 PM

Re: Effective Blitzing in Madden - Is it Possible?

Try attacking the right tackle, I know it sounds like it wouldn't be any different but I have been picking up 2-3 extra sacks a game by playing from the other side of the line. Left tackles are just impossible to get around 90% of the time. Also check the ratings of the guy you are using. Some are better at finesse (left/right on the stick), some at power (up/down on the stick), and sometimes it is a HUGE difference! Sticking to their strengths really maximizes their potential.

One other things I've started to stop doing is blitzing for the sake of blitzing. I mean, if you don't send alot of guys it probably isn't going to work, so no point sending one extra LB, he's just getting pancaked anyways. The best blitz I've found is one where either 1 or 2 CB's come flying in from the flats and surprise the QB, good for 2 sacks a game and an absolute killer on 3rd and long. The only problem is it's kind of becoming a guaranteed play at times, something that to me feels cheap.

LionsFanNJ 11-07-2009 02:11 PM

the only real non cheese nano blitzes i've had success with are overloads. Once in a while i can come up with hot routing zone playes into blitzes. But its no where near what you could do with APF, even with the delays in the backers blitzing

Talk to lbzrule though. I know he plays head to head and coming up with his own blitz schemes in the 3 -4. Probably give you some better Ideas as to how to really blitz in madden.

There are issues though, sometimes the opposite tackle is psychic and will slide across the line to block the overload. I've had it against the CPU, but i haven't played online enough to know if this is an issue there as well. Good luck man

Unforgiven 11-07-2009 02:25 PM

I usually get my best pressure out of dime/dollar formations. I usually overload the right side, blitzing the linebacker and the corner on that side, and more often than not one of them gets a free shot at the QB.

I've had some amazing pressure in some of my games. If you have a good secondary to back you up, then sending at least two blitzers basically every down will give the QB nightmares.

morieeel 11-07-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam45h (Post 2040423064)
Try attacking the right tackle, I know it sounds like it wouldn't be any different but I have been picking up 2-3 extra sacks a game by playing from the other side of the line. Left tackles are just impossible to get around 90% of the time. Also check the ratings of the guy you are using. Some are better at finesse (left/right on the stick), some at power (up/down on the stick), and sometimes it is a HUGE difference! Sticking to their strengths really maximizes their potential.

One other things I've started to stop doing is blitzing for the sake of blitzing. I mean, if you don't send alot of guys it probably isn't going to work, so no point sending one extra LB, he's just getting pancaked anyways. The best blitz I've found is one where either 1 or 2 CB's come flying in from the flats and surprise the QB, good for 2 sacks a game and an absolute killer on 3rd and long. The only problem is it's kind of becoming a guaranteed play at times, something that to me feels cheap.

That it is wierd.. No matter what stud I have @ Re, its always the left end that gets the sacks???? Right now my Rams franchise I have a low 70's LE leading the team in sacks, and Chris Long @ RE w/ zero sacks... Same thing with Ware, when I had a Cowboy franchise going...

Valdarez 11-07-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam45h (Post 2040423064)

I didn't realize it was the analog stick, I tried all the buttons but the stick. Go figure. I'll give that a try and see how it works out, thanks for the heads up.

Are there any plays that seem to be effective in and of themselves?

I have noticed out of the 3-4 the LOLB when on a blitz can get to the QB if the HB/FB/Backfield Blocker is on the opposite side and the linebacker gets around the tackle without being touched. Because of this Spencer actually has the most sacks in my offline franchise. Don't worry, it's not high, I think it's like 6 or 7 on the season. heh

DevilsEve666 11-07-2009 05:46 PM

You know i'm actually surprised by this thread...for me it's the exact opposite. I find sacks in this game might be too easy, i just played the first game of my falcons franchise and i had 5 SACKS in that game. Looking back at my franchise from last year (madden 09) w/ the falcons I had 28 sacks in 16 games. Which was totally realistic since the real life atlanta falcons only had 34 sacks last year. so i'm wondering if this will be a trend this year or if it was just a one time thing?? I play on pro difficulty, but to me getting to the quarterback seemed TOO easy in the game i just played. I got 2 sacks on consecutive plays w/ Jamal anderson...and he only had 3 all last year in my chise, and i must've tried to get him a million sacks. Has anyone else seen what i'm seeing?

Valdarez 11-07-2009 06:08 PM

I haven't seen anyone reporting easy sacks unless nano blitzing, which I refuse to do. A quick glance at all the slider threads and you'll consistently low sack totals due to the QB's ability to throw in the grasp. If it's so easy to get sacks, then please explain how you are doing it.