Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Retiring players (/forums/showthread.php?t=374831)

rws591 11-08-2009 11:00 AM

Retiring players

So I think I am getting to that point in my franchise when I need to start drafting replacements for older players that I have drafted. I am in the 11th season and haven't really been paying attention to when players retire, so how long can I expect players of different positions to play in the league?

JaymeeAwesome 11-08-2009 11:11 AM

Re: Retiring players

You should expect them to either decline in ratings or retire starting around the 11th season. Injuries and ratings play a factor too....When my players hit year 10 I start looking for younger talent so by the time they retired they should be good to go, whether I get them from the draft or free agency I either look for a young stud or a 5 year guy that has already proved himself....also if they are in a contract year around year 11 you should just let them go, too much cap room used up for older players.

bigbob 11-08-2009 12:11 PM

It really does depend though. I went 3 years into a Franchise, using the Raiders, and by that time Pat Williams would've been 39 years old. He was still a 91 OVR.

When that happens, I either say hey.. maybe I'll wait one more year and trade him, or trade him that year at the deadline and pick up some younger DT's and draft picks.

Senior Whitebread 11-09-2009 01:12 AM

Most players retire around the 35 year old range. Thats what I've noticed. I dunno about players that come in at 25 year old rookies, but most of the time 35 is the year they leave (not counting current players who are near that age or over)

Valdarez 11-09-2009 02:29 AM

I just finished the 2nd year of the Cowboys Franchise. I didn't have to resign too many players last season, and I only picked up 2 new ones (SS due to injury, and a WR to replace my traded Roy Williams). I must have done something horribly wrong. I have zero cap room. I can't even sign 1/4th of the returning players, and there doesn't seem to be any wriggle room with them at all. I'm trading players for draft picks and cutting players just so I can stay under cap. I think this must why older guys get let go, but I'm being forced to let guys go after 7 or 8 years. Cowboys team in season 3 is going to be young, young, and more young. :(

rws591 11-09-2009 06:58 AM

That's why I don't play with out a cap. Less stressful and the league may end up that way next year anyway.

Valdarez 11-09-2009 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rws591 (Post 2040430142)
That's why I don't play with out a cap. Less stressful and the league may end up that way next year anyway.

After I figured out what they did, I have to admit it's pretty darn smart. It took me about an hour to get my team aligned again, but the way they have it provides the following:
  • It's harder to hold onto guys that are at the top of their game later in their years (vets)
  • Franchise Tag is actually worth something
  • Draft Picks are now equally (if not a little more) important as players approaching the top of their game
  • Pretty much impossible to work the system (picking up free agents trading for draft picks or other desirable positions)
Of everything I have seen in Madden thus far, this is one of the most authentic aspects I have seen in the game.

ZoneKIller 11-09-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valdarez (Post 2040430146)
After I figured out what they did, I have to admit it's pretty darn smart. It took me about an hour to get my team aligned again, but the way they have it provides the following:
  • It's harder to hold onto guys that are at the top of their game later in their years (vets)
  • Franchise Tag is actually worth something
  • Draft Picks are now equally (if not a little more) important as players approaching the top of their game
  • Pretty much impossible to work the system (picking up free agents trading for draft picks or other desirable positions)
Of everything I have seen in Madden thus far, this is one of the most authentic aspects I have seen in the game.

THANK YOU!!!

I'm glad somebody enjoys a challenge like I do.
I think it is very realistic!!
How about telling these guys
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...t-fas-ask.html

On Topic...
You know you can purchase the accelerater to keep players from retiring.I do that so I can have time to find a replacement for that player wanting to retire.