Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   How To Make Madden 10 Challenging (/forums/showthread.php?t=375390)

Valdarez 11-11-2009 01:37 AM

How To Make Madden 10 Challenging

Madden 10 is a step in the right direction for the series, but problems with passing, coverage, physics, momentum, and footwork continue to plague the game wreaking havoc on the outcome of plays. For this reason many people do not find Madden Challenging are unable to reproduce realistic statistics in their offline Franchise games.

The best way to make the game challenging is to use a set of sliders. If you enjoy Slow or Very Slow Speed, then I suggest using the NFL Simulation Sliders which are tuned for 15 minute games using a 25 second runoff, or if they are not your cup of tea to try out other sliders that gamers have worked on available in the Madden 10 Sliders Forum with a nice list to all available sliders being maintained in the Madden 10 Sliders Guide which is organized by Game Speed making it easy to determine which slider you'll be interested in trying.

Once you find a slider that plays the way you think the game should play, either by representing the game better (proper blocking, running, turn overs, number of plays in a game) you will more than likely need to make the game more challenging, especially the longer you play the game as you become more proficient with your stick skills and your play calling.

In order to make the game more challenging, I have put together a set of ways to play the game that make it more, and more challenging. Try out the Challenges below and tailor the game until you find a point that provides a challenge for you when you play.

The Power Player Rules are can be applied to any of the Challenges below. Think of the Challenges as 'modes' to play the game in and the Power Player Rules as configurations for the modes. Use none, some, or all of the Power Player Rules to make the game more challenging. Remember, the goal is to make the game fun/challenging for you, not frustrating, but fun and challenging.

When playing the game, try the following:

Limit Punt/Kick Return TDs
It's too easy to run back kick returns and punt returns for TDs or really big yardage plays. In order to limit the effectiveness of returns, try the following:
  • Do Not Use the Turbo Button (makes it nigh impossible to run one back)
  • Allow the CPU to run it back for you (should only get about 1 or 2 kick returns per season, which is about average)
Remove Money Plays
Lets face it, there are problems with the AI that we simply can't fix with sliders. When you find a play that the AI can't cover, then take it out of the playbook. Do not call the play. Money plays ruin any semblance of realism. You can't have realistic games using plays that AI can't defend.

Running plays that you may find overpowering on offense include:
  • Toss Play
  • Power O Play
  • Sweeps
Passing plays that you may find overpowering on offense include:
  • Floods
  • Throws to the Flats
  • Screens
Limit Offensive Adjustments
  • No Hot Routes
  • No Line Adjustments
  • No Movement
  • No Audibles
  • No Throws to Flats
  • No Screens
Limit Defensive Adjustments
  • No Hot Man Assignments
  • No Hot Blitz Assignments
  • No Hot Zone Assignments
  • No Audibles
  • No Defensive Line Adjustments
  • No LB Adjustments
  • No CB/Safeties Adjustments
Please sound off if there are any other items I have left off that could be applied to make the game more challenging.

The Rookie Challenge is fairly straight forward. The Rookie Challenge implies that you are doing the following:
  • Using a Challenging Slider Set
  • Calling your Own Plays

The Madden Challenge makes things a little more complicated by using the 'Ask Madden' feature of the game. The Madden Challenge implies that you are doing the following:
  • Using 'Ask Madden' for all offensive and defensive plays
  • Picking any play provided by the 'Ask Madden' feature

The All Madden Challenge makes things even more complicated by using the 'Ask Madden' feature of the game and limiting players to only one button choice (X, A, or Y). The All Madden Challenge implies that you are doing the following:
  • Using 'Ask Madden' for all offensive defensive plays
  • Selecting a button choice at the start of the game (X, A, or Y) and only use that button choice to select from the first set of plays offered by the 'Ask Madden' feature.

The Legendary Challenge is the hardest way to play the game. How is this accomplished? By changing the Play Call Style available in Settings > Game Options > Play Call Style to 'Beginner'.

One would think that Beginner would be the easiest way to play the game right? Wrong. Beginner only gives players one play to play from at the play call screen. In addition, once you are to the line it's impossible to make any audibles, hot rots, or changes in coverage. Pretty much all you can do is select a player and control this player. The Legendary Challenge implies that you are doing the following:
  • Using the 'Beginner' setting in the Settings > Game Options > Play Call Style menu.

Summary

Remember the goal is to make the game game more challenging in order for gamers to have more fun while playing it. The Challenge you need to use and the Power Player Rules options are completely up to you. Play the game how you want to in order to enjoy it!

Credits

Many of the ideas provided in this guide were obtained from reading a multitude of threads on the forums. Unfortunately I gained this knowledge over time and did not track who or where I obtained the information provided. Please recognize this writing as an accumulation of the OS community knowledge.

DC fan for life 11-11-2009 02:46 PM

Re: How To Make Madden 10 Challenging

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valdarez (Post 2040437575)
Madden 10 is a step in the right direction for the series, but problems with passing, coverage, physics, momentum, and footwork continue to plague the game wreaking havoc on the outcome of plays. For this reason many people do not find Madden Challenging are unable to reproduce realistic statistics in their offline Franchise games.

The best way to make the game challenging is to use a set of sliders. If you enjoy Slow or Very Slow Speed, then I suggest using the NFL Simulation Sliders which are tuned for 15 minute games using a 25 second runoff, or if they are not your cup of tea to try out other sliders that gamers have worked on available in the Madden 10 Sliders Forum with a nice list to all available sliders being maintained in the Madden 10 Sliders Guide which is organized by Game Speed making it easy to determine which slider you'll be interested in trying.

Once you find a slider that plays the way you think the game should play, either by representing the game better (proper blocking, running, turn overs, number of plays in a game) you will more than likely need to make the game more challenging, especially the longer you play the game as you become more proficient with your stick skills and your play calling.

In order to make the game more challenging, I have put together a set of ways to play the game that make it more, and more challenging. Try out the Challenges below and tailor the game until you find a point that provides a challenge for you when you play.

The Power Player Rules are can be applied to any of the Challenges below. Think of the Challenges as 'modes' to play the game in and the Power Player Rules as configurations for the modes. Use none, some, or all of the Power Player Rules to make the game more challenging. Remember, the goal is to make the game fun/challenging for you, not frustrating, but fun and challenging.

When playing the game, try the following:

Limit Punt/Kick Return TDs
It's too easy to run back kick returns and punt returns for TDs or really big yardage plays. In order to limit the effectiveness of returns, try the following:
  • Do Not Use the Turbo Button (makes it nigh impossible to run one back)
  • Allow the CPU to run it back for you (should only get about 1 or 2 kick returns per season, which is about average)
Remove Money Plays
Lets face it, there are problems with the AI that we simply can't fix with sliders. When you find a play that the AI can't cover, then take it out of the playbook. Do not call the play. Money plays ruin any semblance of realism. You can't have realistic games using plays that AI can't defend.

Running plays that you may find overpowering on offense include:
  • Toss Play
  • Power O Play
  • Sweeps
Passing plays that you may find overpowering on offense include:
  • Floods
  • Throws to the Flats
  • Screens
Limit Offensive Adjustments
  • No Hot Routes
  • No Line Adjustments
  • No Movement
  • No Audibles
  • No Throws to Flats
  • No Screens
Limit Defensive Adjustments
  • No Hot Man Assignments
  • No Hot Blitz Assignments
  • No Hot Zone Assignments
  • No Audibles
  • No Defensive Line Adjustments
  • No LB Adjustments
  • No CB/Safeties Adjustments
Please sound off if there are any other items I have left off that could be applied to make the game more challenging.

The Rookie Challenge is fairly straight forward. The Rookie Challenge implies that you are doing the following:
  • Using a Challenging Slider Set
  • Calling your Own Plays

The Madden Challenge makes things a little more complicated by using the 'Ask Madden' feature of the game. The Madden Challenge implies that you are doing the following:
  • Using 'Ask Madden' for all offensive and defensive plays
  • Picking any play provided by the 'Ask Madden' feature

The All Madden Challenge makes things even more complicated by using the 'Ask Madden' feature of the game and limiting players to only one button choice (X, A, or Y). The All Madden Challenge implies that you are doing the following:
  • Using 'Ask Madden' for all offensive defensive plays
  • Selecting a button choice at the start of the game (X, A, or Y) and only use that button choice to select from the first set of plays offered by the 'Ask Madden' feature.

The Legendary Challenge is the hardest way to play the game. How is this accomplished? By changing the Play Call Style available in Settings > Game Options > Play Call Style to 'Beginner'.

One would think that Beginner would be the easiest way to play the game right? Wrong. Beginner only gives players one play to play from at the play call screen. In addition, once you are to the line it's impossible to make any audibles, hot rots, or changes in coverage. Pretty much all you can do is select a player and control this player. The Legendary Challenge implies that you are doing the following:
  • Using the 'Beginner' setting in the Settings > Game Options > Play Call Style menu.
Summary
Remember the goal is to make the game game more challenging in order for gamers to have more fun while playing it. The Challenge you need to use and the Power Player Rules options are completely up to you. Play the game how you want to in order to enjoy it!

Credits
Many of the ideas provided in this guide were obtained from reading a multitude of threads on the forums. Unfortunately I gained this knowledge over time and did not track who or where I obtained the information provided. Please recognize this writing as an accumulation of the OS community knowledge.

Dude, you have some great advice, i only wish your sliders were a little better, they are just to one sided to the cpu i play as Dallas, yes, i want a close game but i should be better, look at Dallas this year, they kick azz on offense, with your sliders i struggle that should not be, it's ok to make sliders that are a little easier, i think to many people have egos, that are we have to make them hard without truly trying to capture what NFL truly is, some games should play like you are on the pro level, you know not all-madden, just a thought, keep up the good work. :y2:

Valdarez 11-11-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC fan for life (Post 2040439054)
Dude, you have some great advice, i only wish your sliders were a little better, they are just to one sided to the cpu i play as Dallas, yes, i want a close game but i should be better, look at Dallas this year, they kick azz on offense, with your sliders i struggle that should not be, it's ok to make sliders that are a little easier, i think to many people have egos, that are we have to make them hard without truly trying to capture what NFL truly is, some games should play like you are on the pro level, you know not all-madden, just a thought, keep up the good work. :y2:

Sliders are subjective. I play with Dallas and average around 4.5 ypc with Barber, I'm roughly 2200 yards passing with Romo at 8 games in, and Austin, Witten are my leading receivers.

I play via the All Madden Challenge, and limit myself to one hot route on offense, no motion, and on defense, I only adjust my line / LBs to the strong side, and I typically control the FS or SS, or the player assigned to the HB so I can make the tackle myself.

I went 14-2 my first season, won the super bowl, then started using the rules above, and went 10-6 my second season and lost the superbowl. I'm 7-2 in my third season, and all of my games have been good / tough games as I had to really gut my team to stay under the cap and bring on a lot of younger talent.

Next season I will try the Legendary Challenge if I make it to the SuperBowl in season 3.

DC fan for life 11-11-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valdarez (Post 2040439090)
Sliders are subjective. I play with Dallas and average around 4.5 ypc with Barber, I'm roughly 2200 yards passing with Romo at 8 games in, and Austin, Witten are my leading receivers.

I play via the All Madden Challenge, and limit myself to one hot route on offense, no motion, and on defense, I only adjust my line / LBs to the strong side, and I typically control the FS or SS, or the player assigned to the HB so I can make the tackle myself.

I went 14-2 my first season, won the super bowl, then started using the rules above, and went 10-6 my second season and lost the superbowl. I'm 7-2 in my third season, and all of my games have been good / tough games as I had to really gut my team to stay under the cap and bring on a lot of younger talent.

Next season I will try the Legendary Challenge if I make it to the SuperBowl in season 3.

I guess it is just my style of play, i use beginner for more of a challenge, that may be why my offense is not stellar and on defense i usually just let the cpu make the plays that is why i get shredded against the run.

Valdarez 11-11-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC fan for life (Post 2040439113)
I guess it is just my style of play, i use beginner for more of a challenge, that may be why my offense is not stellar and on defense i usually just let the cpu make the plays that is why i get shredded against the run.

That is definitely the hardest way to play the game. Kudos for doing it. I haven't manned up to it yet. :)

cedwebb 11-11-2009 03:41 PM

Good post! I have been doing this for the last couple of years and I think it defenitely keeps you playing the game longer and obviously makes it more challenging.

I am using my sliders and getting really great games but the challenge and fun factor are equal to me which is awsome. The rules that I am using are these: Let Madden pick my play and I chose from one of the options, let the cpu handle all kickoff and punt returns (I use the Vikings and Harvin is averageing 27-30yds per kickoff return which is right on with a couple returns). I do hot route but for me and the sliders I use it only helps me to stay in games, not dominate. Another rule for me is that I only use one guy on defense and cannot swith during the play. That allows the cpu to break longer runs and I don't mind the challenge.

Those are basically it and I am loving my franchise right now. Again I use the Vikes and my record is 6-4 and the Pack is 7-3, we split the season series. If you use these it really does keep you in check and allow for some very fun and challenging game, that is if you are happy with the sliders.

Anyone who wants to check mine out, they are Cedwebb "Primetime" Sliders.

Good luck!:wink: