Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Madden 11 should limit playbook knowledge (/forums/showthread.php?t=375785)

Victor Fox 11-13-2009 12:41 AM

Madden 11 should limit playbook knowledge

One of the things that's always bugged me about the Madden series is how easy it is to pick up FAs, or make huge trades for players that always transition seamlessly into your offensive or defensive sets and packages.

I would love to see Madden 11 take a whole new approach to the game so that a Rookie QB, for example, only has access to say 1/8 of the overall playbook. As time goes on, they will learn more and more of the playbook, unless of course they are traded to another team.

That said, a player like Aaron Rodgers who sits on the bench for 3 years could start with the majority of the playbook available, seeing as he's spent three years just working out and studying the gameplan.

This could also make the strategies of hiring/firing coaches and coordinators a lot more intricate. If you want to run the Wildcat, you should only be able to do so if your Off. Coordinator or HC has that in their repertoire. I shouldn't be able to hire Dan Henning (Miami) as my Offensive Coordinator and then come out every week in the Spread.

It would be very challenging to find the coordinators whose playbooks/style best fit what you wanted to accomplish. Right now, it's basically just scrolling down to see if any coaches offer neat bonuses like (WR AWR +5), which I mean... is cool and all... But this isn't (shouldn't...) be an RPG.

Bballplaya72 11-13-2009 12:54 AM

Re: Madden 11 should limit playbook knowledge

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Fox (Post 2040444868)
One of the things that's always bugged me about the Madden series is how easy it is to pick up FAs, or make huge trades for players that always transition seamlessly into your offensive or defensive sets and packages.

I would love to see Madden 11 take a whole new approach to the game so that a Rookie QB, for example, only has access to say 1/8 of the overall playbook. As time goes on, they will learn more and more of the playbook, unless of course they are traded to another team.

That said, a player like Aaron Rodgers who sits on the bench for 3 years could start with the majority of the playbook available, seeing as he's spent three years just working out and studying the gameplan.

This could also make the strategies of hiring/firing coaches and coordinators a lot more intricate. If you want to run the Wildcat, you should only be able to do so if your Off. Coordinator or HC has that in their repertoire. I shouldn't be able to hire Dan Henning (Miami) as my Offensive Coordinator and then come out every week in the Spread.

It would be very challenging to find the coordinators whose playbooks/style best fit what you wanted to accomplish. Right now, it's basically just scrolling down to see if any coaches offer neat bonuses like (WR AWR +5), which I mean... is cool and all... But this isn't (shouldn't...) be an RPG.

Great idea...and to add to this more experienced QB's will check out of certain plays if he doesnt like the defense, or call an audible if they see a mismatch.

Playing against Manning/Brady/Brees feels the same as it does against any other QB because of this.

foolish813 11-13-2009 06:59 AM

Also every year there should be an o-line gel meter. The longer they've been together the better. The more players u change the lower it gets. It should take about 11 games to fully gel a line and get max benefits.

grunt 11-13-2009 07:03 AM

I really like your ideas. I wonder how they would implement "playbook knowledge feature". I would see wrs running wrong routes and lbs missing assignments.

Brandonb_43 11-13-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Great ideas, I've always thought coaching and playbooks should go hand in hand. The way it is now, unless you change ur playbook urself u could have a diff. coach each year of ur chise and still run the same offense and defense which is really unrealistic. Also If u change playbooks mid-season there is no penalty for it, cause all ur players still know all the plays.

Your ideas would put some use to the preseason games as well. But here lies the problem. I can see it now, this board would be flooded with posts from people complaining about it. As good a feature as this sounds like and as much depth and realism it would add, I can't help but think the masses would complain about it.

RGiles36 11-13-2009 08:20 AM

I like the idea. I posted a very similar thread a year or two ago, and I've seen other guys with the same suggestion here or on other forums.

I've come to see that it's a mixed bag. While on the surface it sounds like it'll enhance realism, some gamers feel like the ratings should dictate what plays you call.

So if you come out with a rookie QB who maybe doesn't have the best arm, as a user you should take that into account and not try to go downfield as much.

Again, I like the suggestion. But collectively, I don't think most buy into it.

adembroski 11-13-2009 04:37 PM

See NFL Head Coach 09

K_GUN 11-13-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

great idea (i pitched this idea to ian last Fall---didn't seem to interested at that time)

maybe it can be picked up for M11