Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Isaiah Stanback (/forums/showthread.php?t=376675)

Favre4 11-17-2009 03:04 PM

Isaiah Stanback

So I saw that Isaiah Stanback was playing wide receiver for the Patriots on Sunday night. However, he was wearing number 9 which a receiver is not allowed to wear. They are allowed to wear numbers 80-89 and 10-19. With this said, Stanback must have been listed as a QB. Anyone know what position he will be in the game once the roster update comes out?

Favre4 11-17-2009 03:06 PM

Re: Isaiah Stanback

I ask this because the Patriots said Stanback would be on the practice squad as a quarterback earlier this year which would correctly reflect the number 9 he was wearing. Remember, he was a quarterback at washington before the Cowboys drafted him and had him at wideout.

jbrew2411 11-17-2009 03:09 PM

Knowing them he was listed as a kicker. I would say QB and that is how he got to wear #9. That is a dumb rule. Guys should be able to wear any number they want.

Favre4 11-17-2009 03:12 PM

Well another thing is not only must he have been listed as a QB, but he must have been the number 2 QB. If he were the number 3 QB and entered the game then Brady would have no longer been allowed by rule to enter the game. This means if Brady got hurt, Stanback would have been the guy to play QB. I guess they technically could have had him listed as a punter or kicker.

kcarr 11-17-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Favre4 (Post 2040460992)
Well another thing is not only must he have been listed as a QB, but he must have been the number 2 QB. If he were the number 3 QB and entered the game then Brady would have no longer been allowed by rule to enter the game. This means if Brady got hurt, Stanback would have been the guy to play QB. I guess they technically could have had him listed as a punter or kicker.

Now if I remember correctly they were discussing this issue with the eagles with mcnabb, vick, and kolb. From what I heard they can move a 3rd QB up onto the active group allowing them to be subbed in but most teams don't as it would require them moving another player out of that group from a different position.

kcarr 11-17-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrew2411 (Post 2040460978)
Knowing them he was listed as a kicker. I would say QB and that is how he got to wear #9. That is a dumb rule. Guys should be able to wear any number they want.

In most cases I agree but there are some issues where this would cause problems with eligible recievers and ineligible players.

alcoholicstepfather 11-17-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Favre4 (Post 2040460992)

I don't think this is necessarily the case. I may be wrong, but I do believe he could have been listed as the 3rd QB, as long as they had another emergency QB that was on the inactive roster for the game.

For example, I know that the Cowboys have Stephen McGee listed as the emergency 3rd QB. He is not on the 45-man active roster for games and if he ever came into a game, then neither Romo or Kitna can go back into the game before the start of the 4th quarter unless McGee got hurt. If I uderstand the rule correctly, it is so teams have to stick to the 45-man gameday roster unless their top 2 QBs are injured, then they basically get a roster exemption.

LHSLax_D24 11-17-2009 09:31 PM

He is listed as there 3rd QB, but he was active for the game. Therefore, if he plays Brady does not need to come out. There is no rule that says a QB cannot play WR.

He is #9 because that was his Practice Squad number (as a QB), but when he was activated the Pats chose to play his at WR.