Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   defending 3 WR sets... NO success for me! (/forums/showthread.php?t=381420)

acting cool 12-09-2009 08:38 PM

defending 3 WR sets... NO success for me!

i have googled and searched for tips or tricks on how to better defend against 3 WR sets. i am not a madden pro by any means, so needless to say, i get wrecked by multiple WR sets during online play. i mainly use the packers and their respective play book.

i am not looking for defensive "money" plays of any kind. just wanting to pick the brain of some of you who are probably decent madden players.

i think i have tried everything while defending 3 WR sets. i come out in nickel, dime, quarter, etc. i also don't blitz on every down nor do i stay in zone. i call the blitz/zones appropriate for the yards my oppenent needs for the 1st down. i am easily burned by the 3-1-1 screen pass, any type of run... basically i get owned! :nocomprende:

so, my question... what defensive plays do you guys find successful vs. 3 WR sets? any useful blitzes or zone coverages that work pretty well at shutting them down?

thanks for the help!

mrprice33 12-09-2009 09:22 PM

Re: defending 3 WR sets... NO success for me!

which guy beats you? which type of route? different defenses stop different things.

randombrother 12-09-2009 09:27 PM

I see you use the Packers so you should be able to get pressure on the QB but it all depends on who you're going against.

scfan919 12-09-2009 11:05 PM

I have not played online in a while, but in my offline games, whenever the CPU comes out in a 3 WR set, I tend to run Nickel and blitz either the LOLB + MLB, or some kind of blitz package out of that. Thats if its second down and they could be running...I get beat occasionally, but most of the time it works. On third and passing situations, less than 10yds, I run Dollar cover 2 and press my CB's, and when its a lil more I run a Dollar cover 3. Just my 2 cents.

drolouis 12-09-2009 11:58 PM

de contain for screen passes. if u dont call that u can highlight a lineman and press down to get him in a contain assignment. screens are abused online and knowing how to stop them is essential for success. also, go to defensive assignments and put charles woodson on your opponets #1 receiver. if your opponent does not go to him often then put woodson on the guy he gos to. press recievers if u are blitzing. also i play the free saftey. this helps online when u recognize that your opponent is not going deep. this allows u to roam the middle or wherever the weak spot is in your zone, or help on man

acting cool 12-10-2009 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrprice33 (Post 2040538847)
which guy beats you? which type of route? different defenses stop different things.

basically it is the slot WR that kills me the most. even when i go man and defensively high light the slot wr, i still get beat!