Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   OS Awards: Best Presentation (/forums/showthread.php?t=384988)

RaychelSnr 12-28-2009 03:17 PM

OS Awards: Best Presentation

Presentation is the part of a game where we are literally presented with a developer's vision of a sport. Be it NCAA Basketball's TV-style broadcast integration, NBA 2K10's sweeping NBA Today presentation or the baseball euphoria that washes over you when you play MLB '09: The Show, developers have to have stunning presentation to even have their games considered as all-time greats in this day and age.

With that in mind, our winner this year took huge steps forward in the presentation department while receiving mixed reviews in the gameplay department. Perhaps gameplay is still the most fundamentally important aspect of a game, but a lot of people have forgiven NCAA Basketball 10's gameplay woes due to its outstanding presentation, and that is why it wins our Best Presentation of 2009 Award.

Read More - OS Awards: Best Presentation

spankdatazz22 12-28-2009 05:15 PM

Ridiculous vote imo. I think the message being given is it's more important to sign television exclusives, add their music and screen wipes, and your game is instantly considered to have great presentation. It wasn't ESPN that made NFL2K5 presentation great, it was how everything was implemented on the whole. While I think the two commentary teams is something innovative in itself, as someone noted during the voting - the commentary itself for the two teams is bland. So it just comes down to presenting the appropriate tv wipes and pop ups. Even the crowds don't react as they should. I think more emphasis was put on having exclusive tv licenses than on actual content. Pitiful.

Just unfortunate because I think there's no other game doing what NBA2K10 is doing presentation-wise on a technical level for all the reasons noted in the actual voting thread - and there were MANY reasons listed, not just that EA managed to sign exclusives to two networks and implemented two commentary teams. Even The Show developers have admitted that they're trying to make take their game more in the direction 2K already is at with realtime presentation.

JkA3 12-28-2009 07:42 PM

I don't really feel this one. This game, overall, seems to lack immersion because of the 'lack' of "REAL" presentation.

But, I think they did do a good job on this catagory.

jyoung 12-28-2009 08:25 PM

I agree that NCAA Basketball may have had the right "look" this year, but it certainly didn't have the right "feel."

The close proximity of voting percentages seems to show that, even though NCAA Basketball won both the staff and reader awards, not everyone was drinking the CBS/ESPN kool aid.

Shinyhubcaps 12-29-2009 12:06 AM

I certainly disagree with the reader quote that "The only game with licensed presentation equals the best presentation." I mean, that's how it turned out, but it shouldn't sound like a cause-and-effect. If NHL 10 had Versus wipes, its presentation would still be pretty bad. And to that effect, NBA 2K10 has very good (albeit somewhat annoying) presentation that wouldn't be much better if it said TNT or NBATV on it.

johnprestonevans 12-29-2009 07:20 AM

I have yet to play NCAA Basketball 10, but im smitten on presentation. I think it should be the goal of every development team to not only duplicate the way players look, behave and control, but also to replicate the sport the WAY we see it on TV. NBA2K10 is fantastic. MLB09 The Show sounds like a real broadcast. I hope that EA's other franchises will take note and follow the lead set by these 3 bohemaths.

spankdatazz22 12-29-2009 07:57 AM

Re: OS Awards: Best Presentation

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinyhubcaps (Post 2040592878)
I certainly disagree with the reader quote that "The only game with licensed presentation equals the best presentation." I mean, that's how it turned out, but it shouldn't sound like a cause-and-effect. If NHL 10 had Versus wipes, its presentation would still be pretty bad. And to that effect, NBA 2K10 has very good (albeit somewhat annoying) presentation that wouldn't be much better if it said TNT or NBATV on it.

Then I'm not understanding how NCAA Basketball won this award. I agree with you, if I'm understanding what you said. But it seems like licensing played more into NCAA Basketball winning than the actual content. Seems like everybody that's voted for the game says in some way "it feels just like a tv broadcast, without mentioning anything about the actual content.

I don't own the game but from what I've heard and seen in video, though there are two commentary teams in NCAA both are stale and somewhat bland. And I'm POSITIVE the game is doing nothing on the level of replays, "wipes", stat displays (with NBA Today, 2K10 is displaying real life updated stats, they have holiday-themed displays/commentary, etc.), etc... In 2K10 a player can actually interact with the bench, coaches, referees, a few of the people at the baselines. You have cheerleaders and mascots doing varying routines in realtime. And I'm not even mentioning everything. I'd invite someone to make the argument why NCAA deserved it over that but I'm sure I'll hear "But... it has real ESPN and CBS music. That's awewome!"

Now let's sit back and watch as other sports devs spend money rushing to sign other networks to exclusivity, since the supposed smartest sports site out there thinks that's what's most important

Bumble14 12-29-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankdatazz22 (Post 2040593375)
Then I'm not understanding how NCAA Basketball won this award. I agree with you, if I'm understanding what you said. But it seems like licensing played more into NCAA Basketball winning than the actual content. Seems like everybody that's voted for the game says in some way "it feels just like a tv broadcast, without mentioning anything about the actual content.

I don't own the game but from what I've heard and seen in video, though there are two commentary teams in NCAA both are stale and somewhat bland. And I'm POSITIVE the game is doing nothing on the level of replays, "wipes", stat displays (with NBA Today, 2K10 is displaying real life updated stats, they have holiday-themed displays/commentary, etc.), etc... In 2K10 a player can actually interact with the bench, coaches, referees, a few of the people at the baselines. You have cheerleaders and mascots doing varying routines in realtime. And I'm not even mentioning everything. I'd invite someone to make the argument why NCAA deserved it over that but I'm sure I'll hear "But... it has real ESPN and CBS music. That's awewome!"

Now let's sit back and watch as other sports devs spend money rushing to sign other networks to exclusivity, since the supposed smartest sports site out there thinks that's what's most important

I think you should play NCAA 10 for a decent amount of time before passing judgement on it. The presentation has to be fully experienced to be understood. It is much much more than licensed wipes and two "bland" announcing crews.

I'm a huge fan of 2K10's NBA Today, but NCAA 10's presentation is out of this world.