Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   In game ads (/forums/showthread.php?t=385218)

oneamongthefence 12-29-2009 05:12 PM

In game ads

Do we, the consumer, see any perks for seeing intrusive ads in the game?

kehlis 12-29-2009 05:16 PM

Re: In game ads

Yes, indirectly.

Swingking77 12-30-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert_24 (Post 2040594591)

Why do you think that EA would do anything for us? I just ask because I see ZERO impact of a positive nature from the player's point of views...

1. Is it information advertising? Not really

2. Did it lower the prices of the game? Not at all

3. Did EA get money for 3rd party adds? Willing to bet they did

4. Did having these adds make the game better? No

5. Have these adds translated into presentation? No they didn't

6. Will clueless people learn something? Yes, be a Chompion and EA makes more games then just Madden.

Did I miss anything which may indirectly be positive to me with these adds... I'd love to hear this one.

kehlis 12-30-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Did I miss anything which may indirectly be positive to me with these adds... I'd love to hear this one.
Likely, but it will all be interpretive and the ever present pessimists will still see problems with the game no matter what happens.

And what you seem to have forgotten that these in-game ads are being paid for now, after the game was produced. How would that change what is already in the game?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swingking77 (Post 2040596631)
1. Is it informative advertising? Irrelevant

2. Did it lower the prices of the game? Not likely to happen, the price is the fair value market price, still don't understand why people expect this to be changed

3. Did EA get money for 3rd party adds? No Doubt they did

4. Did having these adds make the game better? This is where I was going with indirectly. Any additional revenue that comes from these adds gets applied to the budget for the next game. The changes we see will be out of box features, changes for next year. The pessimist will say, that does me no good now, while the realist understands that while we have annoying ads now, it is how the world works and money is made. Hopefully next years upgrades reflects whatever the masses here wants so we have an even more improved game.

5. Have these adds translated into presentation? Again, how would you expect them to upgrade presentation on Madden 10 when they are just now likely getting the proceeds from the ads?

6. Will clueless people learn something? Not even sure who this pointless attack is aimed at?

Swingking77 12-30-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

1. Is it informative advertising? Irrelevant

2. Did it lower the prices of the game? Not likely to happen, the price is the fair value market price, still don't understand why people expect this to be changed

3. Did EA get money for 3rd party adds? No Doubt they did

4. Did having these adds make the game better? This is where I was going with indirectly. Any additional revenue that comes from these adds gets applied to the budget for the next game. The changes we see will be out of box features, changes for next year. The pessimist will say, that does me no good now, while the realist understands that while we have annoying ads now, it is how the world works and money is made. Hopefully next years upgrades reflects whatever the masses here wants so we have an even more improved game.

5. Have these adds translated into presentation? Again, how would you expect them to upgrade presentation on Madden 10 when they are just now likely getting the proceeds from the ads?

6. Will clueless people learn something? Not even sure who this pointless attack is aimed at?

1. We were talking about if the adds had percs for the players. Since the adds are far from educational or informative, there are no informative percs there...

2 + 3. Snickers was in the game last year, as well as maybe the one before that. Did it lower the price of this year's game? Not one cent...

4. With Snickers in the game last year, did we see a marked improovment in this year's game? Some yes, was that the result of the adds or simply the evolution of the game development as a whole... I'm banking on simply game evolution and not the other way around. Those fund went right into their pockets.

5. Are these adds in the game this year? Yes they are... Are the presented in the form of so much as a clip phrase, other then "This game is brought to you by EA sports" or "Be a Chompion"... So, did the adds this year bring anything to the presentation. No they did not. Could they have? Sure they could have. And again, last year's game had Snickers...

6. The attack was not one directed at anyone in particular... The only information which they convey were the two points I set out. 1. EA makes more games then just Madden, and 2. Snickers encourages you to be a Chompion. Which only ******s don't know that EA makes more games then just Madden and the other is a Snickers quote which does nothing for the product...

So I ask you, what percs did we get indirectly from last year's add? Can you prove we got anything from it... Or was what we got simply the product of the regular game production cycle. Sureley you are not suggesting that games only get better from year to year based on how much advertising, in game, a game has... That's rediculous... My responce was not one of trolling, but and honnest answer which was more then a simple two or three word "Yes, indirectly"... If you want to jump down my throat, proove your point as opposed to disprooving mine... Which, BTW, you've not even done...

kehlis 12-30-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

So I ask you, what percs did we get indirectly from last year's add? Can you prove we got anything from it... Or was what we got simply the product of the regular game production cycle. Sureley you are not suggesting that games only get better from year to year based on how much advertising, in game, a game has... That's rediculous... My responce was not one of trolling, but and honnest answer which was more then a simple two or three word "Yes, indirectly"... If you want to jump down my throat, proove your point as opposed to disprooving mine... Which, BTW, you've not even done...
I didn't think you were trolling or I wouldn't have responded to you at all.

I mention this in a little more depth down below but briefly, there is nothing I can do short of stealing EA's books and showing them to you to prove if the revenue from advertising affect the game.

It's nothing more than interpretive by nature. It's my opinion that increased revenue from advertising can only help the game itself, and it seems to be your opinion that the money from the advertising goes straight into their pockets.

In a sense, that it true. The company has to make money though, without that money going into the pockets of whoever you think is doing that, where does the money come from to make the game then?

My point is that the fact that they are getting money from ads, can only benefit those who buy the product, not everyone will reap the benefits, maybe they do nothing but revamp online next year, that wouldn't benefit me at all but for the game community as a whole it certainly does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swingking77 (Post 2040597280)

1. We were talking about if the adds had percs for the players. Since the adds are far from educational or informative, there are no informative percs there...Still irrelevant. It is not the responisbility of the medium to inform the sponsor if it is reckless advertising or not. It's no different from radio or TV commercials, if the company wants to advertise their product, it is their responsibility to know the audience. Neither you nor I pay for that advertising therefor it is irrelevant to us whether or not we have to see it.

2 + 3. Snickers was in the game last year, as well as maybe the one before that. Did it lower the price of this year's game? Not one cent... Again, %60 is the fair market value for any game. Why would a company lower the price for a game when they could still sell it for the same amount they always have and use the money elsewhere? You remember this is a business right?

4. With Snickers in the game last year, did we see a marked improovment in this year's game? Some yes, was that the result of the adds or simply the evolution of the game development as a whole... I'm banking on simply game evolution and not the other way around. Those fund went right into their pockets.Possibly, and nothing I can point to will convince you otherwise, and nothing you could point to convince me otherwise.

I noticed marked improvement in the game over last years version. I played 09 maybe 10 times, I've played this one considerable more. What changes and how much were the result of advertising dollars is anyone's guess.

Either way, if you want to continue the brigade that EA is all bad and takes this money and shoves it in their pocket, have at it. The fact of the matter is that in order to run a proper business, you need to make money. Why would they not capitalize where they can?

And yes, I do think the game was improved through advertisement revenues.

5. Are these adds in the game this year? Yes they are... Are the presented in the form of so much as a clip phrase, other then "This game is brought to you by EA sports" or "Be a Chompion"... So, did the adds this year bring anything to the presentation. No they did not. Could they have? Sure they could have. And again, last year's game had Snickers...I guess I am unsure what you are looking for with presentation. Could it be better? Absolutely. Could it be worse? We've seen much worse. Is it improved from last year? Yes.

pointNumberOne 12-30-2009 04:32 PM

I think the key word here is "intrusive" ads. I have no problem with the Snickers ads, or if additional ads were included of the 'game mvp, brought to you by ____' variety.

I find being forced to watch those popups ridiculous. Popup ads have a very low success rate, especially those where no action can be taken from them directly, and even more so when the target audience is *trying* to actively ignore them.

I would argue that annoying popup ads will result in more $ lost game sales than $ brought in by selling the ad space, but that remains to be seen next year.

Swingking77 12-30-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

It's nothing more than interpretive by nature. It's my opinion that increased revenue from advertising can only help the game itself, and it seems to be your opinion that the money from the advertising goes straight into their pockets.

In a sense, that it true. The company has to make money though, without that money going into the pockets of whoever you think is doing that, where does the money come from to make the game then?

My point is that the fact that they are getting money from ads, can only benefit those who buy the product, not everyone will reap the benefits, maybe they do nothing but revamp online next year, that wouldn't benefit me at all but for the game community as a whole it certainly does.
Money for a company do not = value for the consumer. One has NOTHING to do with the other. Money in does not equal money out... And that generally means double in a monopolly situation like the one presently owned by EA at this time. But that isn't the issue... The original question was:

Quote:

I stated my point, as a matter of opinion as well, but you jumped on it in a manner that lead me to beleive that you thought I was trolling:

Quote:

Likely, but it will all be interpretive and the ever present pessimists will still see problems with the game no matter what happens.
So that's why I went where I went with the trolling thing... Just so you know...

Anyhow, back on track. You're confusing "Good for the company" with good for the consumer which again, I say there is no bonus for us, the gamer. At least not in this instance.

Quote:

1. We were talking about if the adds had percs for the players. Since the adds are far from educational or informative, there are no informative percs there...Still irrelevant. It is not the responisbility of the medium to inform the sponsor if it is reckless advertising or not. It's no different from radio or TV commercials, if the company wants to advertise their product, it is their responsibility to know the audience. Neither you nor I pay for that advertising therefor it is irrelevant to us whether or not we have to see it.

This is not the point... I couldn't care less about how they send out their message. Answering the original post, do we the gamer gain any information from these adds? Would learning something be a perc? Yes. Is learning a perc from these adds... No. No it's not. That was the point I was making here...

Quote:

2 + 3. Snickers was in the game last year, as well as maybe the one before that. Did it lower the price of this year's game? Not one cent... Again, %60 is the fair market value for any game. Why would a company lower the price for a game when they could still sell it for the same amount they always have and use the money elsewhere? You remember this is a business right?

Would getting a cost cut be a perc to having adverts in this game? Yes. Did we get a discount? Nope. Remember, percs for the gamer, not the company...

Quote:

Either way, if you want to continue the brigade that EA is all bad and takes this money and shoves it in their pocket, have at it. The fact of the matter is that in order to run a proper business, you need to make money. Why would they not capitalize where they can?

And yes, I do think the game was improved through advertisement revenues.

Again, the original question... Percs for the gamer. I know why they're doing it and they ARE smart for doing it... But does this lead to percs for the gamer? As it stands now, there is NOTHING that gives percs to the gamer. And seeing as how they advertise their own products, I doubt that a lot of money comes in from those adds which is actuely returned to the game itself... Odds are the what ever money that is generated from these adds goes right to funding the said products in the adverts... It's shameless self promotion. And I truely doubt that it generated much money to improove Madden... But as you said, we can speculate all we want, so we'll agree to disagree. But as it stands right now in this game, the adds do nothing for this game or the consumer of THIS game... Not the franchise.

Quote:

5. Are these adds in the game this year? Yes they are... Are the presented in the form of so much as a clip phrase, other then "This game is brought to you by EA sports" or "Be a Chompion"... So, did the adds this year bring anything to the presentation. No they did not. Could they have? Sure they could have. And again, last year's game had Snickers...I guess I am unsure what you are looking for with presentation. Could it be better? Absolutely. Could it be worse? We've seen much worse. Is it improved from last year? Yes.

In presentation, I mean the overall product this year. Are the adds adding anything visually. Not to be confused with "do these adds make the game look more real?" I'm talking "Do these adds, bring anything to the presentation of the final product, would they be missed were they not in the game. Do they improove the game, as product, looks overall, or even on an audio basis. Any improovements could be seen as a perc. Do these adds, do any of the above? No they do not... The adds are ugly and add little to the look of the game...

We just understood the first question differently. But as a consumer, I feel that these adds do nothing but bring more money in for the company which means nothing to the gamer since one has nothing to do with the other... Do you enjoy the game more because of the adds? No. Would you miss them next year were they not there? Nope. Do these adds do anything for you in THIS game? Nope, they do nothing... They aren't even interesting...