Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NFL Head Coach (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Improving your GM (/forums/showthread.php?t=387316)

lucidhope 01-10-2010 11:03 AM

Improving your GM

What are ways you guys go about improving your GM so you can do a halfway decent job of scouting the draft(without looking at spreadsheets, I want it to be a challenge. No offense to anyone who actually does this.) I started a new game as the Chiefs, in the preseason, because I know the 08 draft so well it's basically cheating, and KC had a decent draft anyway. If I don't make the playoffs I can fire their GM who is alright, but pretty much capped out except for the special skills, which I believe to be the key to the GM part of the game. If you can get the intuition skill, then it becomes easier. But it can take awhile to get it unless you have amazing drafts each time I gather?

One guy I always seem to target is Gil Darnell, but Meese of the Giants usually leaves after year one (after the hiring process). Is it possible to actually hire this guy after year one? Has anyone done it? Who are your favorite GMs to target and what skills do you acquire for them?

Demonolith 01-10-2010 01:49 PM

Re: Improving your GM

Generally, keep improving your GM's scouting skills. Not only do they affect how many players you can scout during the combine and senior bowl, but they also directly affect how many individual workouts you get. Individual workouts are critical for finding first and second round gems.

Once you're happy with your rookie scouting skills, then turn to the school insider skills.

lucidhope 01-10-2010 02:03 PM

What's the most individual workouts you can get?

Papa Pearce 01-10-2010 02:18 PM

Somewhere around 20 or so I believe?

lucidhope 01-10-2010 02:53 PM

Has anyone hired Gary Meese in the first offseason? He always leaves after the first round of signings. You could wait and hope he leaves. Just wondering if this has worked for anyone.

Demonolith 01-10-2010 08:14 PM

Hmm the teams I've used have great GMs (New England, Philly, Baltimore) so I never had a need to go after a GM in the offseason. But I always hear people on here talking about picking him up in the first offseason

edward_1385 01-11-2010 01:01 AM

GM: I fired Jim Andrews, and he became the Jets GM. I then had a choice of Guy Torrent or Gary Meese; I picked Meese because of his better Rookie Scouting and Potential Evaluation skills.

OC: I fired Ron Turner and he retired. I then held off on choosing an OC until the Colts fired QBC Jim Caldwell, 48 overall. I was the only bidder for him as an OC; got him without any control lost.

DC: I fired Bob babbitt and he retired. I then really waited to pick a DC until after the Super Bowl when the Patriots fired Pepper Johnson,48 overall. I then entered to bid on him as a DC and was the only bidder.

That is what mrs844224 did in his dynasty Re: The Coaching Career of Michael Smith(a Bears Dynasty)... The way u can get him is fire ur GM and then just wait until after the Giants lose in the playoffs and it should come up to bid on him, but if u lose out then u may get stuck with one u didn't want...

Mike3207 01-11-2010 02:55 AM

From what I have seen, there's more risk waiting for a team to let go of a GM than a coordinator. Torrent and Meese were available from the start, so I just waited to bid on them. If Meese isn't released at the start, though, you're taking a real risk to hope that the Giants fire him. Plenty of times the Giants lose in the playoffs, and only rarely do they fire Meese. You'd probably have a better chance of waiting for Mikey Lewis; the Saints frequently fire him if they lose in the playoffs.

The Colts almost always fire Caldwell once they lose in the playoffs(or even if they win the Super Bowl) unless Moore retires, so that's not much of a risk. The Patriots frequently fire Martin, but they won the Super Bowl that year. I was taking a real risk that they would release or fire Martin after the Super Bowl. If they hadn't fired Martin, I would have been in real trouble as far as hiring a DC.