Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Advice for using Power RBs (/forums/showthread.php?t=389179)

Victor Fox 01-19-2010 01:09 PM

Advice for using Power RBs

I just started a new offline franchise with the Rams (don't worry, i'm moving them out of St. Louis and back to LA) and I'm having a ton of trouble running with Steven Jackson. IRL he's basically a beast, trucking skinny corners and being a "factorback" as Merril Hoge likes to say.

My question is, what kinds of plays best utilize a player like Jackson? I drafted a rookie speed-RB in the first round because I'm having such a hard time moving the ball with Jackson. Help? Advice?

Hova57 01-19-2010 01:13 PM

Re: Advice for using Power RBs

u can't use him on sweeps and outside counters he has to be up the middle or off tackle and most important is to follow your blocks you will eventually break one or two

NFCBeast55 01-19-2010 01:39 PM

I wish I could move a team in this year's game. But, the fact that the field colors and logos remain the default colors for the logo you chose instead of the colors you pick (it's correct when you create a team, but not when you move a team) ruins it for me. Nothing more annoying than having a purple and black team and playing on a field with yellow and gold logos on it and a yellow end zone.

Victor Fox 01-19-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFCBeast55 (Post 2040661326)
I wish I could move a team in this year's game. But, the fact that the field colors and logos remain the default colors for the logo you chose instead of the colors you pick (it's correct when you create a team, but not when you move a team) ruins it for me. Nothing more annoying than having a purple and black team and playing on a field with yellow and gold logos on it and a yellow end zone.

:y2: I've never had this problem. That really sucks. My logos are almost always just black and grey, with my team colors ranging from purple and gold to maroon and silver. As long as you pick team colors first, and then edit your logos second, it shouldn't be a problem.

JayhawkerStL 01-19-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Fox (Post 2040661257)
I just started a new offline franchise with the Rams (don't worry, i'm moving them out of St. Louis and back to LA) and I'm having a ton of trouble running with Steven Jackson. IRL he's basically a beast, trucking skinny corners and being a "factorback" as Merril Hoge likes to say.

My question is, what kinds of plays best utilize a player like Jackson? I drafted a rookie speed-RB in the first round because I'm having such a hard time moving the ball with Jackson. Help? Advice?

Why not move the team to Cleveland? :-)

I'd also tell yo to be careful about using the sprint button too soon. Wait for those holes to develop, THEN hit the gas. And you are going to have to lean hard on that right stick and break some tackles. I've had some luck using the left trigger pre-snap to direct the OL line. Many times I am just directing the OL to be aggressive, but I don't really know what that means, as far as upside and downside.

Victor Fox 01-19-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayhawker (Post 2040661352)
Why not move the team to Cleveland? :-)

I'd also tell yo to be careful about using the sprint button too soon. Wait for those holes to develop, THEN hit the gas. And you are going to have to lean hard on that right stick and break some tackles. I've had some luck using the left trigger pre-snap to direct the OL line. Many times I am just directing the OL to be aggressive, but I don't really know what that means, as far as upside and downside.

To your first point, you're absolutely right. Cleveland's been without a football team for far too long. :smirk:

To your second point, i'm still not sure what the OL audibles do. Some people use Aggressive to run, some to pass. Same with pinch. If only the game came with a decent manual to tell us what all these "exciting new features" actually do.

GeneralManager 01-19-2010 03:14 PM

Get a good line....I run wild within the tackles with Shonn Greene

DoubleIt5 01-19-2010 03:36 PM

I mainly play with the Packers and used to have trouble with Ryan Grant (not as powerful as Jackson, or as fast, but definitely a power back). I have now started to have some real success with him following what others have said. Don't use the sprint button too early, if at all. Play calling also matters a lot. Run between the tackles and use patience, follow your blocks and try to truck that first defender. You won't be breaking many long runs but I find power backs far more consistent that speed backs. Another thing to look at is motioning players when the defense is in man coverage. Try some power-o plays with no WR on the outside and no CB sitting in zone. This way if you can get to the corner and break a tackle you can get a nice gain. Also in my first offseason I hired the training staff that gives +3 SPD to HBs which helped too.