Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Trying to figure out the purpose of formations (/forums/showthread.php?t=393008)

CreatineKasey 02-03-2010 06:32 PM

Trying to figure out the purpose of formations

Pittsburgh's playbook has a plethora of 3WR 1 TE 1 HB formations. They vary greatly from balanced, to spread out, to compressed. I want to know how to use formations like this from an abstract, theoretical perspective.

The more detailed questions I have are related to spread and compression sets specifically. For those not in the know, a spread formation is just that... a spread out formation, think 4 or 5 WR formations spread across the whole field. A compression formation has players "compressed" or "bunched" close to eachother. These formations have to serve a purpose.

Here's a list I made during class (sensory analysis...not very exciting) of characteristics/advantages/disadvantages of these formations:

Note: I'm not confident in all of these observations, so don't take them as gospel and please correct me if you know otherwise somewhere. I'm doing this to learn. Thanks!

Compression
- Should be able to run better against zone with this formation because zone defenses will often spread out outside the bunched formation thus giving you more manpower and leverage inside.
- Against man, the run outside could be more open given that the defense is sucked in.
- You can often get a very nice pre-snap read that shows obvious man D, and if they are trying to hide it, they can get burned easily.
- It's easier to flood zones against zone defense because the players are so close together initially.
- Against man, this formation allows for situations where WR's cross and "pick" DB's to get their guys open.
- Because of the "pick and flood" style of plays, these formations seem to be better for short passing and a lot of horizontal routes.
- Disadvantage: easier to blitz on the bunch sets because the players are all so close to the QB. It's really easy to disguise blitzes because all the players are bunched close anyway, whereas spread formations sometimes force a player to "Declare" the blitz.
- Man bump and blitz seems to be a good decision against these bunch formations.. stop the WR crosses from picking your guys and fire in a blitz from anywhere since you don't have to really show it.

Spread
- Better inside running versus man D because the D has to match up with your players. Better outside running in general versus zone D because you have blockers spread out wide.
- It's tougher to sometimes read man or zone defense. It isn't just spelled out for you like in compression sets.
- It's easier to isolate WR's and generate/identify mismatches that way.
- Spread formations force defenses to declare their defense more. If they don't, they risk giving up easy short passes particular to the seams.
- The spread is harder to man blitz, but is easier to zone blitz.
- Overall, the formation is more adept at vertical routes and getting vertical throws - for example, think about throwing to the seams against cover 3 and deep down the sidelines against cover 2.
- This formation breaks zones by stretching zone responsibilities and forcing ideally bigger, slower athletes (Lb's) to cover quicker athletes (WR's).
- Isolating defenders is an important goal of these formations

.................................................. ...........

That's all I came up with. Does that make sense to most? I'd be all ears to some sage advice about any strategy in using formations.

Thanks!

oneamongthefence 02-03-2010 07:09 PM

Re: Trying to figure out the purpose of formations

Yes I never thought about the blitzing side of it. Using it to tell the blitz easier.

sniperhare 02-03-2010 07:22 PM

I was going to answer, but got angry thinking of the horrible blocking in Madden. I'm going to let someone else help.

CreatineKasey 02-03-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniperhare (Post 2040709886)
I was going to answer, but got angry thinking of the horrible blocking in Madden. I'm going to let someone else help.

So instead you complain in the thread? You could've taken that time to talk football. This isn't even Madden talk.. it's football strategy.

Oh well.. I would've liked to read your opinion.

Victor Fox 02-04-2010 01:51 AM

You've got some good observations already, but here are my tidbits of sage-like wisdom, from observing years and years of spread offense at lowly, yet currently surging Northwestern University.

Spread
I think one of the big misconceptions about a Spread Offense is that it is a deep threat formation. I've typically found better success in deep passes from 2 wide sets where the defense is playing 8 in the box. The advantage of a spread formation is forcing a defense to choose between coverage and blitzing, because you can really only do one against a 4 or 5 WR set. If the defense blitzes, there WILL be someone open, simple as that. If they drop back in coverage you're looking at having a lot of time to find an option with your 5 OLs against their 3 or 4 DEs/DTs

If you have a mobile QB (or even just someone who doesn't have cement blocks for feet) then the spread becomes even deadlier since rolling a QB out on a spread formation is an easy way to pick up a good 5 or 6 yards every time.

Watch how the Colts and the Patriots run their 4 wide sets... Lots of short slants, bubble screens, and out route to the underneath receiver while the other receivers pull the defense back into the secondary.

CreatineKasey 02-04-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Fox (Post 2040710896)
You've got some good observations already, but here are my tidbits of sage-like wisdom, from observing years and years of spread offense at lowly, yet currently surging Northwestern University.

Spread
I think one of the big misconceptions about a Spread Offense is that it is a deep threat formation. I've typically found better success in deep passes from 2 wide sets where the defense is playing 8 in the box. The advantage of a spread formation is forcing a defense to choose between coverage and blitzing, because you can really only do one against a 4 or 5 WR set. If the defense blitzes, there WILL be someone open, simple as that. If they drop back in coverage you're looking at having a lot of time to find an option with your 5 OLs against their 3 or 4 DEs/DTs

If you have a mobile QB (or even just someone who doesn't have cement blocks for feet) then the spread becomes even deadlier since rolling a QB out on a spread formation is an easy way to pick up a good 5 or 6 yards every time.

Watch how the Colts and the Patriots run their 4 wide sets... Lots of short slants, bubble screens, and out route to the underneath receiver while the other receivers pull the defense back into the secondary.

Very good points. I think that ties in well with the thought that the spread really makes you declare your defense too. You're right.. you can't afford to man blitz in fear of a massive play and zone blitzing would have to be done very well to be effective... especially with the audible being a WR screen is something smells funny.

My thoughts of vertical passing from spread out formations was coming from traditional run and shoot formations with 4 WR spread across the field and the QB under center. I haven't learned a lot of about spread out formations... which is why I'm asking you guys! I think the zone blitz is attributed to killing the run and shoot/air coryell style vertical spread out offenses. The vertical passing coming more from base or pro sets makes a lot of sense.

Exonerated 02-04-2010 11:41 AM

FYI the Colts never run a 4 wide set. Its either 2 TE 2 WR 1 RB or 1 TE 3 WR.

This is basically their entire personel package except for short yardage runs.

Whether they spread them out or compress them, its always the same personel packages.

Just thought I had to share. I don't know why.

Victor Fox 02-04-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exonerated (Post 2040711655)
FYI the Colts never run a 4 wide set. Its either 2 TE 2 WR 1 RB or 1 TE 3 WR.

This is basically their entire personel package except for short yardage runs.

Whether they spread them out or compress them, its always the same personel packages.

Just thought I had to share. I don't know why.

Good call, you're absolutely right.

BTW, who dat?

Dat's dem Colts gettin Manning anudder one o' dem rings.

GO COLTS