Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   This Is Sad for Football (/forums/showthread.php?t=396998)

MattUMD224 02-22-2010 12:21 AM

This Is Sad for Football

seriously

Quote:

As the NFL continues to devote significant effort to a problem that was ignored (and some would say downplayed) for years, the next step could be a reduction in the amount of hitting that occurs between players.

Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports that the NFL and the players' union are looking at restricting offseason practices and otherwise cutting back on contact during the traditional football season.

Possible changes will be discussed by the league's Competition Committee and by union reps at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

As previously disclosed during the 2009 season, rule changes could prohibit all helmet-to-helmet hits against ballcarriers, roster exemptions for players recovering from concussions, and the elimination of the three-point stance.

The last possibility is unlikely; our guess is that it's being mentioned in order to make the changes actually made go down a bit more easily.

Per Maske, changes made regarding practice could result in players not wearing helmets at all in some of the non-contact sessions.

Rodgersfan12 02-22-2010 12:34 AM

Re: This Is Sad for Football

Just make it flag football and get it over with already so the NFL's golden boys can shine.

z Revis 02-22-2010 12:38 AM

I want Paul Tagliabue back now.

Rodgersfan12 02-22-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z Revis (Post 2040769006)
I want Paul Tagliabue back now.

I think we all do.

Evan_OS 02-22-2010 09:11 AM

This is just sad..

MassNole 02-22-2010 09:41 AM

Pro football players are well compensated for the risks associated with their craft.

JBH3 02-22-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 2040769482)
Pro football players are well compensated for the risks associated with their craft.

Agreed.

That they spend an exorbiant amount of money on jewelry, cars, lavish homes, etc. should NOT come at a cost of my viewing pleasure.

...and by contrast our veterans sacrifice much more of their bodies in a greater more necessary cause, get paid pennies on the dollar by comparison of the pro-athlete, and get compensated far less in terms of disability, longterm care, etc.

mkharsh33 02-22-2010 01:28 PM

We are indeed turning into a nation of pansies...