Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   This Is Sad for Football (/forums/showthread.php?t=396998)

wwharton 02-22-2010 04:07 PM

Re: This Is Sad for Football

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgun styles (Post 2040770525)
Then don't play.

Play baseball.

Play soccer.

No one put a gun to their heads and said: "you must play football or else".

It's a free country, and people need to live with the decisions they make. You want the million dollar contract? Take your lumps. Otherwise, work your way through college and work in a cubicle for the rest of your life.

Oh wait, they might get carpel tunnel from typing. Better ban computers in cubicles too.

Gotta defend Shotgun Styles for something, lol. This is true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cebby (Post 2040770531)
As many people has said, there's a huge difference between the equipment, medical precautions, and money being paid to players now and in the past.

You might as well be wary of NFL players drinking tap water since water in the 1800s and in the third world is often contaminated.

And so is this.

THOSE guys were grossly underpaid and allowed to put their health at a risk much worse than anyone today because, simply, nobody knew any better. For the most part I'd say they didn't really know what they were signing up for. That's just not true anymore.

As for the Gladiator comment, the MMA changed its rules because it would've never reached the level of popularity it's approaching if it didn't. Bottom line is, the watered down UFC/MMA/whatever brings in more money... and it appears the watered down NFL does as well. Things won't likely change until that's proven false so either enjoy the new product or find something else to get into.

shotgun styles 02-22-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwharton (Post 2040770598)
As for the Gladiator comment, the MMA changed its rules because it would've never reached the level of popularity it's approaching if it didn't. Bottom line is, the watered down UFC/MMA/whatever brings in more money... and it appears the watered down NFL does as well. Things won't likely change until that's proven false so either enjoy the new product or find something else to get into.

Donkey kick fighting. Illegal in 23 countries and all 50 US states. :duel:

fsquid 02-22-2010 04:16 PM

I thought this was going to be about that stupid "draft lab" that keeps coming on SportsCenter.

Cebby 02-22-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muggins (Post 2040770544)
Concussions still happen.

So do water parasites.

However, in 2010 we can identify and treat concussions and the athletes are properly compensated for any injuries.

Those things weren't true for the old timers.

SPTO 02-22-2010 04:20 PM

I have no problems with making the game safer but at least first try to do so through means of better equipment and better handling of players who get head injuries. I know it's not quite the same but people applaud Terrell Davis for going on the field nearly blind in the SB when he was suffering from serious migraines. That's the mentality we've come to associate with football. It doesn't help matters when the NFL for YEARS pumped out the image of the tough guys who hit each other silly and live to talk about it.

Now The Powers That Be are overreacting to things to the point that they're willing to sacrifice the very fabric of the game. I think we can all agree that making the game "safer" (i.e. making conditions such that all the rough dynamic play is zapped out) is going to turn the game into crap.

It's interesting to note that the NCAA isn't running around like headless chickens when it comes to this situation when in fact, it's them that should be more vigilant. After all, they're dealing with guys who are still by and large growing into their bodies. I do think that the NCAA needs to make some changes like the NFL has in regards to horse collars and some helmet to helmet hits but in other areas the NCAA has been a lot smarter by using the latest technology in helmets to diagnose concussions and helmets that prevent head injuries as well. That's something the NFL should do first before throwing the nature of the game to the wayside.

I also find this kind of "oh no we gotta look out for the players" mentality that the NFL is going with now to be a slap in the face to the old guys who are now having to live in pain and dementia and can't even get a little help from the PA or the league. Where was this concern for players 10-15 years ago? If they really care wouldn't they at least try to help these old guys in the twilight of their lives?

It'll be interesting to see how all this goes down.

muggins 02-22-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cebby (Post 2040770664)
So do water parasites.

However, in 2010 we can identify and treat concussions and the athletes are properly compensated for any injuries.

Those things weren't true for the old timers.

Nope.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Just one example of a player who has played recently who is suffering from issues related to concussions. If you've heard him talk he also has a terrible time securing insurance because of it. The stuff still happens all the time and players play through because they need the money.

Quote:

I also find this kind of "oh no we gotta look out for the players" mentality that the NFL is going with now to be a slap in the face to the old guys who are now having to live in pain and dementia and can't even get a little help from the PA or the league. Where was this concern for players 10-15 years ago? If they really care wouldn't they at least try to help these old guys in the twilight of their lives?
That is called progression, man. They should definitely help out the battered and bruised dudes (how many surgeries has Earl Campbell had?) but also help out the players now.

shotgun styles 02-22-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muggins (Post 2040770699)
Nope.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Just one example of a player who has played recently who is suffering from issues related to concussions. If you've heard him talk he also has a terrible time securing insurance because of it. The stuff still happens all the time and players play through because they need the money.

You don't seem to understand the difference between "need" and "want". Virtually all of these players were given a free education in college. If they didn't graduate, that's THEIR FAULT. But they should not NEED to play football.

Deeper than that, the league minimum for non-veterans is like $250,000 a year. That's PLENTY of money to finish their education and get a real job.

These players don't "need" the NFL's money to survive. They WANT the big money to live large. That money comes with strings attached. They can go back home and work in the ship yards any time they want to. Skilled labor is every bit as honorable as football, if not more so.

Speedy 02-22-2010 04:47 PM

It may be extreme thinking but I view this as a similar trend and path NASCAR took and look how far back it is has fallen. While safety is indeed important and should be an intregal factor in decision making it shouldn't be radical enough to change the nature of the sport.

Used to, Nascar vehicles were similar to cars/trucks we the viewers could purchase @ a dealership (with the opportunity to amp it up) but not anymore. The integrity of the sport degraded so much and the senior management stiffened so much to media outcry for more safety that now the drivers weren't even allowed to race w/o being reprimanded because of "possible risk".

So...what's happened since those changes took effect? Major backlashes @ senior management to the point they reneged and stated they'll let the drivers police themselves, not to mention changes to the car such as the removal of the wing to an almost realistic rear spoiler. Hardcare Nascar fans now claim that the sport is rigged to eventually have who they want to be champion and there's barely any racing to the point fans just watch the first 5 and last 5 laps.

As I said, safety should be a priority but not enough to jeporadize the integrity of the sport. It is deemed a contact sport and has been arguably the most popular sport this decade (at least in the USA). Players know the risk-reward going into the league being:
Harmful and possibly lingering injuries
vs.
Loads of money to last a lifetime & huge TV exposure.

The players have been briefed, the media certainly accentuates the bad stories and injuries so the onus is up to the player whether he decides to make it a career choice. I have no empathy in the matter when a player is congnizant of the harm and still decides to go forward.