Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   This Is Sad for Football (/forums/showthread.php?t=396998)

muggins 02-24-2010 09:06 AM

Re: This Is Sad for Football

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPTO (Post 2040775681)
2006 4.9 rating 7,855 Average Viewers
2007 4.4 rating 7,116 Average Viewers down 4.9%
2008 4.3 rating 6,917 Average Viewers down 2.3% down 12.3% from '06
2009 4.0 rating 6,440 Average Viewers down 7.0% down 18.4% from '06

And even for Nascar, you'd have to look at when they signed the deal with whichever cable outlet because a lot of people don't get cable, or dropped cable recently with the economy, especially with the NASCAR demographic...

wwharton 02-24-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicatz (Post 2040774825)
I think you might be surprised about NASCAR. I'd have to do some digging for some links with numbers but if i'm not mistaken it wasn't long ago that NASCAR topped the NFL in both attendance and tv ratings. I'm no NASCAR fan (in fact I hate it) and I remember always being surprised at the figures I was seeing. I'll do some checking.

The NFL can only ride the Manning/Brady/Favre gravy train so long. Those guys are in their golden years and it won't be long until the league's biggest future HOF marquee talent is gone. New guys will rise up but it'll take time for them to generate the same dollars and interest for the league IMHO.

NASCAR is very popular but I'd have to see the numbers to concede that it topped the NFL recently. SPTO posted some numbers but not a comparison.

The NBA rode the Bird/Magic/Jordan train, baseball road the Ripken/Puckett/Gwynn/McGwire train. None of this is new. Even if we just focus on QBs, Rivers/Ben/Rodgers will be well along their way when Peyton/Brady/Brees hang them up. And that doesn't even consider what may end up happening with Eli/Cutler/Ryan/Flacco/Sanchez/etc. That's not even mentioning the likes of AP, Chris Johnson, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, etc. I don't know anyone that just watches the NFL for Manning/Brady/Favre... even borderline fans.

metallicatz 02-25-2010 04:49 PM

Sorry, haven't gotten around to researching the NASCAR #'s yet.

I'm not saying people are watching strictly for those three I mentioned, but those guys do drive ratings and merchandise considerably. The league said this year that Favre jerseys alone outsold more than any team combined. The Vikings games' local and national tv ratings saw a huge increase this year because of #4. CBS was quoted as saying the network was hoping for a Manning/Favre Super Bowl showdown simply because that particular matchup was projected to draw an estimated 4 million more viewers than a Manning/Brees matchup. These guys are big for the league.

shotgun styles 02-25-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicatz (Post 2040781868)

I'm not saying people are watching strictly for those three I mentioned, but those guys do drive ratings and merchandise considerably. The league said this year that Favre jerseys alone outsold more than any team combined. The Vikings games' local and national tv ratings saw a huge increase this year because of #4. CBS was quoted as saying the network was hoping for a Manning/Favre Super Bowl showdown simply because that particular matchup was projected to draw an estimated 4 million more viewers than a Manning/Brees matchup. These guys are big for the league.

I always thought people watched NASCAR for the crashes...

MassNole 02-26-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgun styles (Post 2040782539)
I always thought people watched NASCAR for the crashes...

And I thought it was because watching cars go in circles was the most complex thing its fans could understand?

wwharton 02-26-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicatz (Post 2040781868)

Of course they do, but we can go back a few years and find the "big 3" of that time... and if we could go into the future we'd find the "big 3" of that time. That's nothing new and is true in all major sports.