Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   MLB 10 The Show: Can I Stop Worrying, and Learn to Love the Juice? (/forums/showthread.php?t=411515)

Steve_OS 04-24-2010 04:37 PM

MLB 10 The Show: Can I Stop Worrying, and Learn to Love the Juice?

Kotaku's Owen Good, chimes in with his usual Saturday update. Today's column is about "The Show Shop" in RTTS in MLB 10 The Show, and how buying Training Points for your RTTS character presents the same dilemma as choosing to use PEDs in real life.

Quote:

"My hardline stance against performance-enhancing drugs in sports is a convenient one, informed only by my experience as a fan. I've never been faced with the choice or even the opportunity to get an unfair edge in baseball. Until now.

This week I started over as a new player in MLB 10 The Show's immersive, addicting Road to the Show, creating my favorite type: lefthanded starting pitcher, 18-year-old phenom fresh from his high school prom. The draft randomly sent me to Philadelphia and I unpacked my bags in AA Reading. And I got shelled in my first three relief appearances.

The point of the singleplayer mode is to develop your guy with training points awarded for solid performances. Three games in, I think I had earned about 120 total - the minimum you can put toward any one attribute is 40. Opponents were hitting .350 off me. My WHIP looked better as an ERA - 2.95, my ERA looked like an advertisement for a radio station (Sports Talk Nine Fifty, the Torch!) and I was looking at a long tour in the minors. My last guy spent two full seasons on the farm, and he was great.

Then I noticed "The Show Shop." Playing and reviewing MLB 10, I'd never heard of it before this week. Sony sent me some literature on new features, but I tossed it long ago. I wasn't even sure it was a new feature, but I do know it wasn't highly promoted. So I knew what I'd likely find inside."

netjam99 04-25-2010 07:58 AM

Re: MLB 10 The Show: Can I Stop Worrying, and Learn to Love the Juice?

Thats a good article, I enjoyed it and yeap he raises a good point.

El_MaYiMbE 04-25-2010 08:39 AM

This article makes me want to start an RTTS just to see if I can "juice" my way into the MLB roster! LoL.

Very good article.

countryboy 04-25-2010 11:09 AM

Great article.

ruserl88 04-25-2010 11:15 AM

i only use PEDS (pez?) when i'm starting out with the 40year old rookie , seeing if i have time to get him to the show for a cup of coffe

MatrixTN 04-25-2010 12:42 PM

Never used that feature. Nice Dr. Strangelove reference, Steve.

Chizzypoof 04-25-2010 02:26 PM

Good article. I like the self realization at the end.

Reaman 04-25-2010 02:37 PM

Thank you for posting, great article!