Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Realistically, do you see the NFL ending the exclusivity deal? (/forums/showthread.php?t=412740)

jimmiejohn 05-01-2010 08:56 PM

Realistically, do you see the NFL ending the exclusivity deal?

The current deal ends in 2013.

The NFL says they prefer the exclusivity deal... but the fans don't. But with Madden selling like crazy every year, I can't see them breaking that up.

I hate EA's false promises year after year after year... I'm not saying NFL 2k would be the greatest game of all time if they made one right now... but it'd make Madden look like it was made by 5 year olds.

Competition works. Look at NBA Live getting better because of NBA 2k.

Dax(FlowLyfe) 05-01-2010 09:10 PM

Re: Realistically, do you see the NFL ending the exclusivity deal?

Didnt this already go to court and EA lost?
Its a monopoly which you cannot have.

I believe they ruled that after the contract expires they cannot make another one.

JBucc 05-01-2010 09:13 PM

I don't know if the NFL will see the error of it's ways but I think EA might get sick of forking over so much cash for no increase in sales. I could see them pushing the NFL to share the license. The worry would be that someone else would swoop in and sign and exclusivity deal, but I don't think the NFL would let anyone else have exclusivity like EA does. The Madden name is a big deal for the NFL.

PVarck31 05-01-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dax(FlowLyfe) (Post 2041018281)
Didnt this already go to court and EA lost?
Its a monopoly which you cannot have.

I believe they ruled that after the contract expires they cannot make another one.

This is not true sorry.

Dax(FlowLyfe) 05-01-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjv31 (Post 2041018313)
This is not true sorry.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/02/...-monopoly-case

canes21 05-01-2010 09:49 PM

How did that show EA lost? I saw some people talking, then the thing ended and never had the jury rule one way or another.

MJenness 05-01-2010 09:52 PM

1) The NFL doesn't care one way or another how well Madden selss or doesn't sell. With the exclusive deal, the NFL no longer gets a cut of every game sold, they get a huge one time payment, which is MUCH more than they used to get by taking the cuts of games sold.

2) NO other company has the pockets deep enough to compete with EA in a bid for the license, which is exactly WHY EA payed as much as they did.

canes21 05-01-2010 09:54 PM

I'd say Microsoft does, but that won't happen. NFL Fever 2012 would be pretty awesome if it was as good as 2004 was in 2003. That make sense?