Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pitt. Steelers and the Wildcat? (/forums/showthread.php?t=413477)

backbreaker 05-06-2010 12:18 PM

Pitt. Steelers and the Wildcat?

I was watching some footage of Johnathan Dwyer the other day and the style of offense G Tech runs, coupled that with Dennis Dixon and the emergence of Mendenhall , and the return of Randle EL. I see a trick play wildcat offensive packages and high scoring change of pace offense.

Ben Rothlisberger suspension, opens up the opportunity for Dennis Dixon to get a little more shine, he did an outstanding job versus B'more Ravens his speed was very noticeable when he ran for a TD, and he is a threat to pass the ball.

Johnathan Dwyer is a very capable back(Steelers are sitting on a gem), strong in the middle and fast on the edge. He and Mendenhall are interchangeable parts in the Wildcat either in the backfield(pistol formation) or from the wing or slot, makes for great variables.

The Known, Unknown is how will they incorporate Randle EL into this obvious cornucopia mix of offensive blitzkrieg. He was great in the super bowl run of 2005 and he's familiar with those packages.

The beauty of it is, going hurry up once the base D is on the field and your offense already has those parts on the field ready to exploit the D

Dixon, MendenHall, Dwyer, and Randle el, this will be an interesting time for the Steelers and the fans.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZ65q2J9Qx8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZ65q2J9Qx8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Rocky 05-06-2010 12:36 PM

Re: Pitt. Steelers and the Wildcat?

Could be interesting IF they committed to it although I prefer it with a RB who can throw it rather than a QB who can run it. Maybe they can keep Dixon out wide and have Randle El and Dwyer/Mendenhall in the backfield?

wayne23 05-06-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backbreaker (Post 2041032970)
I was watching some footage of Johnathan Dwyer the other day and the style of offense G Tech runs, coupled that with Dennis Dixon and the emergence of Mendenhall , and the return of Randle EL. I see a trick play wildcat offensive packages and high scoring change of pace offense.

Ben Rothlisberger suspension, opens up the opportunity for Dennis Dixon to get a little more shine, he did an outstanding job versus B'more Ravens he speed was very noticeable when ran for the TD, and he is a threat to pass the ball.

Johnathan Dwyer is a very capable back(Steelers are sitting on a gem), strong in the middle and fast on the edge. He and Mendenhall are interchangeable parts in the Wildcat either in the backfield(pistol formation) or from the wing or slot, makes for great variables.

The Known, Unknown is how will they incorporate Randle EL into this obvious cornucopia mix of offensive blitzkrieg. He was great in the super bowl run of 2005 and he's familiar with those packages.

The beauty of it is, going hurry up once the base D is on the field and your offense already has those parts on the field ready to exploit the D

Dixon, MendenHall, Dwyer, and Randle el, this will be an interesting time for the Steelers and the fans.

Not a bad thought. But not in a Bruce Arians ran offense. Not gonna happen.

backbreaker 05-06-2010 01:01 PM

Bruce, is very conservative, Whisenhunt and Mullarkey especially Mullarkey was wide open keep the D on its heels. Mullarkey M.O. was easy near the opponents 50 yard line, trick plays are expected.

I think Arians, has to open it up now, with Ben not being their and Batch/Leftwhich being serviceable at best. Dixon is the only choice. He showed me that he is very capable, their is no book on his tendencies besides that Ravens game, by the time one is compiled Ben will probably be in the mix.

mjb2124 05-06-2010 03:12 PM

It would be interesting, but I don't see it happening....especially with Arians. From all reports, the Steelers are moving back to a smash mouth offense. Bring back the FB and run the ball a lot with Mendenhall and Dwyer.

I'm pretty sure Leftwich will start while Ben is suspended. I'd be shocked if he did not...although I'd rather see Dixon for the simple fact that he adds a running dimension to the team.

beastsofboston 05-07-2010 11:18 AM

I dont think dwyer is a capable back because of the system he was in.

The thriple option makes it hard for deffences which is the main reason his stock dropped that far.

backbreaker 05-07-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patriotsk1d (Post 2041035917)
I dont think dwyer is a capable back because of the system he was in.

The thriple option makes it hard for deffences which is the main reason his stock dropped that far.

I'm reading your statement over and over again trying to make since of it. You don't think he is a capable back. I understand this part, its a matter of opinion..

This is where I'm lost, "The thriple option makes it hard for deffences which is the main reason his stock dropped that far". Please elaborate.

bgeno 05-07-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backbreaker (Post 2041036012)
I'm reading your statement over and over again trying to make since of it. You don't think he is a capable back. I understand this part, its a matter of opinion..

This is where I'm lost, "The thriple option makes it hard for deffences which is the main reason his stock dropped that far". Please elaborate.

He's truing to say he is a product of the system because the double wing-triple option offense is more difficult to defend than a pro-style or spread offense.

But all you have to do is look at the film. Dwyer is a bruiser with some speed. Yes, he didn't have to make many reads or use his vision much in that offense, but if he is adequate at that, he should be able to find the playing field.