Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NCAA Football Wishlist (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Statistical Rankings (/forums/showthread.php?t=414345)

NEOPARADIGM 05-12-2010 03:43 AM

Statistical Rankings

Probably too late for this, and hopefully it's already been addressed, but in looking at team stats during Dynasty mode, the rankings are based on totals, when they should be based on averages.

Example: A team that is allowing 65.7 ypg rushing, but has played five games, is ranked lower than a team allowing 102.5 ypg rushing but has only played three games.

When looking at rankings, it also shows totals and not averages, so I look at my next opponent's rushing defense and see 1,434 (65). It should say 124.9 (65). What do I care how many total yards a team has allowed? I want to know what they allow on average per game.

And perhaps the worst offender: if I've played fewer games than the rest of the country (if I have two open dates to start the season, for example) none of my rankings truly apply to anything. I'm near the bottom in offense and near the top on defense, only because I've played fewer games. It renders the rankings not only useless, but literally meaningless.

Hope one of you EA guys see this. Please and thanks.

souljahbill 05-12-2010 04:30 PM

Re: Statistical Rankings

The averages over totals, I can get behind. The top offense/defense thing is kind of a non-issue since everyone plays the same amount of games by the end of the season. I always have the top defense but no defensive all-americans because my player's don't get enough tackles on 5 min qtrs.

NEOPARADIGM 05-12-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by souljahbill (Post 2041053564)
The top offense/defense thing is kind of a non-issue since everyone plays the same amount of games by the end of the season.

Right, but I'm not any more interested in knowing which team has the #1 offense at the end of the season than I am, say, in week 9. The point is that if I want to know if my next opponent actually has the #1 rush defense in the nation, I have dig it up and do some math. (And it's not entirely true everyone plays the same number of games; some play 14, others play 12 and 13.)

I look at my own team stats and see something like this:

3-0 (1-0)

Passing: 612 (99)
Rushing: 651 (87)
Pass Defense: 613 (27)
Rush Defense: 312 (1)

NONE of those numbers in parentheses mean anything, nor do the totals tell me much of anything without doing some division in my head. The offensive rankings are low, because I've only played three games while other teams have played four and five, and my defensive rankings are high for the same reason.

Using the same numbers, I should be seeing this instead:

3-0 (1-0)

Passing: 204.0 (59)
Rushing: 217.0 (6)
Pass Defense: 204.3 (47)
Rush Defense: 104.4 (27)

See how one set of data actually means something and the other is a complete waste of space?

Solidice 05-12-2010 08:05 PM

I would much prefer an average instead of total yards on the game preview screen at least. I've always hated seeing the total yards. also, I think on that screen, special teams yardage is added to total offense stat(so it's actually total yards instead of total offense), which throws it off even more.

I would hope that with the ESPN-themed stuff coming to NCAA 11, that there would be more ESPN-like stat tracking.

J-Unit40 05-12-2010 10:28 PM

This has been bothering me for years now! I had a feeling that others felt the same way. Totals are pretty meaningless in my opinion. Averages are what it's all about. Didn't old-gen have averages of everything instead of totals?

It's a little thing that would go a long way in dynasty mode. It really would.

NEOPARADIGM 05-13-2010 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidice (Post 2041054247)
I would hope that with the ESPN-themed stuff coming to NCAA 11, that there would be more ESPN-like stat tracking.

Good point. You'd assume that with a complete revamping of the menus and such that we'll also see tweaks to this sort of thing. Didn't think about that.

Here's hoping. :cheers:

NEOPARADIGM 07-13-2010 05:52 PM

So yeah ... no, they didn't fix this. :(