Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports FIFA Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   New To the Game actually the whole FIFA franchise (/forums/showthread.php?t=421313)

emark182 06-22-2010 11:13 AM

New To the Game actually the whole FIFA franchise

I just purchased the game last night and played the heck out of it with Team USA. So in my first match i was pitted against Mexico in a friendly game. I had it on the easiest difficulty, but was smashed 4-1 or something like that. I think the main reason was for the first 10 minutes or so i was takling everyone and I believe i lost 3 players due to red cards. LOL ... i did say i was new. I quickly learned not to try a slide tackle everyone. So i played a few more games on easy, and had some pretty easy wins over...let me think...maybe Costa Rica and Guatamala. it seemed a bit to easy I was making crosses pretty much effortlessly. Since then I have uped the difficulty (semi - pro maybe). I think I have won 1 match since then. I usually keep the opponents to a draw, but then in the last 5 min or so they seem to score a goal...Trinidad and Tobago is the worst.

Basically my strategy is to run it down the side of the field and center it and hope for a good header or shot on goal. This seems to not work as well with the increased difficulty.

Also I am not to sharp on the defense....

Does the two button control option allow you to perform the cross passes, etc.; or does the computer decided what type of pass you will make once you press the button?

Any suggestions?
Thank you

Lecrae 06-22-2010 11:50 AM

Re: New To the Game actually the whole FIFA franchise

I recommend you to not use the 2 button control unless you are a 5 year old with good grammar (No offense, it is just impossible to get better if the only thing you learn is how to shoot and pass through 2 buttons when there is 4 and you need to learn them and their tactiful usefullness).

The way you attack is only 1 of the many possibilities, you can try hitting a through ball through the defenders, hitting a clearence to your striker on a counter, etc.

When you defend don't do slide tackles unless they knock it forward and your coming from the side or in front. Don't just run up to a guy and think it will tackle, when you get near the man on the ball hold the conservative tackle button nad it works about 75% of the time. Try and plan to step out in front of passes when they try and pass it behind you on the ground. Finally turn auto switch player down all the way and only switch if the defender is nowhere near the goal or about to break through.

Also use practice mode with the AI, you can play a match of sorts that will never end while you gain experience (and even if the AI scores 500 times you didn't waste time loading new games or the frustration of having to buy a new controller after you threw it at your pet for bumping into you on a pk, yes I did that and no i didn't hit my cat :)).

Hope you have fun with (I guess) World Cup 2010, FIFA 11 is just around the corner, most likely early-mid October.

emark182 06-22-2010 11:56 AM

Hey thanks for the advice on the game...its funny you should mention that cat thing as mine routinely gets in my way while I am playing. As of now this has to be one of the most addicting sports games I have purchased. I think a lot of it has to do with the effort it takes to score a goal and actually win a match.

I will have to post some videos in the the video thread once I get around to scoring.

Thanks again

Lecrae 06-22-2010 01:30 PM

yeah, its not like football in America where if its a breakaway you will score, it could be a bad shot or great save to send you into a frenzy at the game lol

Always glad to help, it was tough for me to get into FIFA when I had no idea what I was doing but ever since I bought World Cup 2006 I have bought it every year and have kept stepping my game up

Also don't use manual anything right now, use the auto cross/manual until you get the basics down then try one of them in practice mode.

emark182 06-22-2010 01:35 PM

Thanks. When you say use auto cross, where do you change that option?

Lecrae 06-22-2010 04:06 PM

Controls, it doesn't do the cross for you but it does aim it in the ideal spot and power, same for through ball, keep pass and shoot (unless on last gen) on manual as those are the easiest to learn IMO although feel free to put it on auto if you have troubles.

emark182 06-22-2010 04:46 PM

Awesome thanks for all the pointers...I will have to try them out when I get home.

Lecrae 06-22-2010 05:33 PM

np, odds are they wont work the first time around but im tellin ya, practice arena is a blessing in disguise. You can run around with just your team and the keeper, practice free kicks from eveerywhere, or have both teams on the field and they will react to you.