Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Anyone know why is there an "Embargo" by EA?? (/forums/showthread.php?t=422663)

ODogg 06-29-2010 11:57 AM

Anyone know why is there an "Embargo" by EA??

I keep reading about this EA embargo for those who have the game early. Why? There is no competition to steal any ideas. I know I read that it's not necessarily because the game is bad, nor am I implying it, but if that isn't the reason then why do we have an embargo at all?

Does anyone know?

mrprice33 06-29-2010 12:01 PM

Re: Anyone know why is there an "Embargo" by EA??

Most of the time embargoes ensure that each media outlet gets a fair chance to cover the game. It wouldn't be fair to gamespot, for example, if Ign was able to release a review and get the hits as soon as they get the game. An embargo levels the playing field for the media outlets. It's like a street date.

johnrice20022002 06-29-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODogg (Post 2041245092)
I keep reading about this EA embargo for those who have the game early. Why? There is no competition to steal any ideas. I know I read that it's not necessarily because the game is bad, nor am I implying it, but if that isn't the reason then why do we have an embargo at all?

Does anyone know?

First thought: Online Marketing.

By having us wait till the 9th and then get blasted with tons of usually positive first impressions, videos, audio etc., we become more infatuated with the product, directly leading to more purchasers when the 13th rolls around.

From a purely fiscal perspective, smart move by EA.

ODogg 06-29-2010 12:09 PM

You guys bring up some interesting points I hadn't thought of. I'll bet it's a combination of both. If they think we won't find the negatives though here at OS in 3 days of coverage then they don't know us too well, LOL...

DonkeyJote 06-29-2010 12:19 PM

That's just standard practice in the industry for all games. They want reviews coming out at around the same time, normally right before the game comes out. I believe the same sort of thing happens for movies, but I could be off there.

Solidice 06-29-2010 12:21 PM

It's not exactly an "EA" only thing. most games/companies follow this "rule", which is why you usually see reviews/previews for games coming out on or around the same day for all the media sites.

zztrainv2 06-29-2010 12:28 PM

Slightly different take: We all know that game companies alway use embargoes because this allows them to control information and eliminate potentially negative press. "This doesnt mean there is anything wrong with the game"

But that is the point. By keeping an embargo on each game, we never have a reason to think the game is bad or good. What it comes down is this. The potential benefit from positive impression is outweighed by the potential determent of negative impressions.

BadAssHskr 06-29-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODogg (Post 2041245092)

Does anyone know?

does that mean not necessarily good? what have you heard that i haven't?

or am i misinterpreting the post?