Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all? (/forums/showthread.php?t=423420)

canes21 07-03-2010 01:33 PM

If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all?

There has been a discussion in another topic about rating being hidden in franchise mode. I for one support this option. I would love to base a player's value to my team on his performance and not his "rating". I think it would also make trading with the CPU a lot more realistic if they tuned it.

With ratings turned off, the CPU wouldn't go for WR 1 who is 90 overall, but has 20 catches and 10 drops for 165 yards and 0 TD's instead of WR 2 who is a 83 overall, but has 67 catches, 1200 yards and 8 TDs. They would take the player who is doing better in the season.

EA could also implement a value bar for a player. Instead of ratings determining how much a team would be willing to trade for a player, it would be his value. If Colt Brennan is having an awesome year with 70% completion, 25 TDs, and only 3 INTs then his value would be high to the Redskins. If they tried to trade him though to a team like the Colts with a superstar QB his value bar would be very low for them, but trading him somewhere with a struggling QB like Oakland might make his value bar go up even more for them than the Redskins and they will likely try and snag him from you. Now, if Campbell is having a great year too, then his value would be high and Colt's would be low to them. I think past seasons should be a part of the value too. If I am having a great year with a player, but his past seasons have shown inconsistencies, then his value shouldn't be as high as someone who has had a good season almost every season.

If any rating was to be shown at all, I think value should be the only one. I would also like to mention I did not come up with the whole idea of values, some fellow OS'er did.

This would also be a nice addition draft time. No more knowing the rookie's potential and rating before he ever plays, now you would have to play him and see how well he is. I would also like it if potential was hidden from the user along with every rating of course, but it also changed year to year. If a player has a tremendous rookie season then he would show a lot of potential and could progress a lot going into his 2nd year, then he may have sophomore struggles and after his 2nd year his potential would drop and he would progress very little if at all. By the 4th or 5th year, the potential would get a lot harder to change. Two good seasons may raise it a bit or a hall of fame record setting season may move it in one year a bit.

It would be nice to draft rookies based on their measurables and based on what your team scout says about the guy and maybe even footage somehow.

So, would you be interested at all? Please vote and leave comments.

Skyboxer 07-03-2010 02:13 PM

Re: If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all?

Absofreakinlutely

hitstreak13 07-03-2010 02:16 PM

The more options, the better.

RedZoneD25 07-03-2010 02:17 PM

Yes.

Every single rating hidden, with only one rating visible: Value

That can fluctuate based on many things: coaching changes, draft picks, FA signings, age, MVP, Pro Bowl, season stats, etc.

rsoxguy12 07-03-2010 02:27 PM

I wouldn't go for entirely hiding everything, but I'd like to see 40 yard times, # of bench presses, cone drill times, etc. Seeing stats along with those numbers wouldn't hurt either.

Skyboxer 07-03-2010 02:29 PM

Check ther other thread about it... Lots of nice thinking etc...on what it would bring to the tabel not having the data spoon fed to us...

maddenps2 07-03-2010 03:49 PM

They should have a mini camp where you can run player through, cone, sprint, catching, and other drills to try to determine how good they are. Combine that with strength, dash times, vertical, etc... and previous stat numbers.

rooney8 07-03-2010 05:21 PM

I LOVE IT.
Alot of people might not see how useful this would be at first but the important thing like Skyboxer said isn't that the ratings are hidden but how that would add to other areas of the game.
One thing I said in the other thread is because you can no longer see ratings a weekly team report on the opposition would be good with things like.
Offense: Passing, Running
Defense: Passing, Running
Special Teams
Key players
Match ups
etc..........
With this report you could decide what to focus on in training during the week and create a gameplan for that game.