Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   ESPN NFL 2K5 Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Question for ESPN Football Fans.... (/forums/showthread.php?t=42829)

Lintyfresh85 07-23-2003 09:22 AM

Question for ESPN Football Fans....

Since I probably will not get either NFL game NCAA is just good enough for me, I have a question..... Would you as a fan of the series rather have ESPN do a huge marketing job and have Sega release a game that sells better with the general public, but not be an overall better quality game, or a game that does not put a big dent in Maddens sales but is a quality game that a true football fan would love? So which is it worse game better sales, or better game sales still low? Personaly I think I would hope for this year only maybe a game that was not as good but sold better so no next year they could get a better quality product with a bigger fanbase...... While I know most will probably say better game better advertising beter sales, I want just a response to this question as a ESPN fan would you want a worse game better advertising with better sales, or better game less advertising worse sales? Hope that is clear enough...

Erv 07-23-2003 09:26 AM

Re: Question for ESPN Football Fans....

no question I'd take the better game over sales....I don't know what I'd do if I was limited to Live, NHL, and Fifa.

TheLetterZ 07-23-2003 09:28 AM

I'd take a better game with less advertising. Not to say that they can't advertise and have a better game of course.

Graphik 07-23-2003 09:38 AM

If I was the owner of VC, seriously, I would want the money. I dont care how the game looks and if it sucks,if it has a glitch that makes the chain gang be on the wrong hash marks,I dont care, I want your money.

You may can look at me like I'll be an evil buisness man but hey, all buisnesses are evil. They all want your money. Its possible to put out a good product and still make money and it looks like VC is gonna do that this year. But as far as competitivness, I would try to outsell the other company pure and simple. And thats not what VC is doing.

Lintyfresh85 07-23-2003 09:45 AM

Graphik, I tend to agree with you, Sega as well as EA are in the buisness(sp) of selling video games so I think they would also take better sales over a better game any day. But I think really there could be a mix of both good game and good advertising but that has yet to be seen by Sega so far. I think the way Sega will start to make a real gain in sales is flasy advertising (like someone said a while ago hire the guys that do the Sportscenter ads) and word of mouth of happy gamers who need to tell everyone about such a promising game, like I said I have a neutral view on this because I doubt I will get either game but I hope for the sake of competition that Sega can start to make progress on the buisness side of the video games just as they have in the quality of their football games over the years.

NovaStar 07-23-2003 09:55 AM

I would rather have a better game. I also think EA and VC know that a better game translates to better sales. VC is chasing a horse (madden) with a big lead. It will take some time to eventually catch and or surpass madden. If we analyze Live vs NBA2k. 2k gained substantial ground by simply making a better product. Was the marketing anymore present in nba2k than in nfl2k, if it was i didn't notice.

VC's biggest problem in football gaming is convincing those that are playing madden that madden is inferior. That is a monumental task because madden has been around for a long time. I do think that this year by combining with an established sports entity such as espn, they will definitely see a sales increase. How much of an increase? only time will tell.

Fetter21 07-23-2003 09:58 AM

As long as they'll have the money to be back for 2k5 then no question the gameplay.

Graphik 07-23-2003 10:08 AM

I guess no one remembers those ESPN games by Konami. Even when they had the ESPN license those games did'nt sell well. I know things will change since 2K is a way better product then Konami's games but the point is, a name means just about didily squat.

What Sega/VC needs is in yo face! advertising...NOW. They need to make sure everybody and thier moma knows about this game. They need commercial after commercial on every channel till the point where you're tired of seeing it. They need to imprint images in your brain, they need billboard signs, card board cut outs, newspapers, magazines thats not even abot sports, they need a promotional give aways, sublemianl messages hidden on boxes of Fruit Loops, representatives to be on talk shows, bring back the Calafornia Rasins to sing songs about it, make a tv show, they need any and everything if they wanna sell that game. Word of mouth wont sell as much, they need to smack yo daddy in the face with flyers adn bumber stickers to put on his car.

Bottom line, they need to advertise not now, but right now. EA already started, why come they have'nt?