Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NCAA Football Sliders (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Need some advice, having problems no matter how I adjust..... (/forums/showthread.php?t=431048)

ab2c4 07-29-2010 09:42 AM

Need some advice, having problems no matter how I adjust.....

I should probably start off by telling you what my current settings are. I am playing on AA, normal speed, Speed Threshold at 40, Pass Defense for both myself and cpu is set to 45. I am playing a single player offline Dynasty using Nebraska (who I consider has a better than average defense).

When I had pass defense set to 50 for both, and Speed Threshhold to 50 I was consistently seeing my pass completion percentage at 70%, cpu was at 40%. Neither I nor cpu could complete a deep pass as there was no separation between between WR and DB.

I changed pass defense to 45 for both and also set Speed Threshhold 45. I was consistently seeing my pass completion percentage at 60%, cpu was at 50%. There would occasionally be a deep pass completed, but it was rare.

I kept pass defense unchanged at 45 for both, and set Speed Threshhold to 40. I was consistently seeing my pass completion percentage at 45-50%, cpu was at 65-70%. I can't complete a deep pass ever, the cpu is lighting me up throwing the ball deep. I am now giving up 4-5 deep passes per game even against much lower rated teams.

Please note, I played several games at each of these settings and the results were consistent.

Any advice on what I should adjust at this point? I should add that the running game for both myself and the cpu is pretty realistic, but not the passing game. It seems like the lower I set the speed threshhold the faster the cpu team is, but my Huskers can't match the speed of even the weak teams. It's like the Speed Threshhold only makes the cpu team's players faster but has no effect on the players on my team.

I am hoping someone has some advice with slider settings, or maybe I should switch to Varsity and begin my slider adjustments again.

acermina 07-29-2010 11:06 AM

Re: Need some advice, having problems no matter how I adjust.....

What do you have QB accuracy set at? I am having these same problems. Right now, I am running with 50 pass D and 50 speed threshold, but also with 50 accuracy (all for both human and CPU). It seems ok. I played Washington last night as Michigan. Locker hit a couple of deep ones on me. Both % were around 55-60. I feel like the speed threshold makes a huge difference in this game for most of the sliders. For instance, I was running with SM's for a bit, but at 25 speed, the game seemed too arcade-y. I had John Clay rush for 414 yards in one game and consistently ran back KO's. All else equal, but with speed at 50, these results were much more in line, and I haven't returned one kick at the 50 threshold. I think 50 is the way to go. Remember, there aren't a lot of deep pass completions in football, especially if you don't have a premier quarterback.

ab2c4 07-29-2010 11:27 AM

I have Human QB Acc set to 55 (at 50 I was missing way too many passes), the cpu QB Acc is set to 50.

At a speed threshold of 50 I found that both I and the cpu had almost no return yards on kick\punt returns, now at 40 we at least get more realistic returns. Also, with a speed threshold at 40 both the cpu and I have at least a chance of occasionaly breaking a run longer than 15 yards when rushing the ball.

Passing game as I mentioned, the speed threshold is having a very one sided effect, greatly improving the cpu's pass coverage on defense as well as their pass offense, but is hurting my pass offense and pass defense.

Since I have the pass defense set to 45 for both humand and cpu, I think I am going to increase the human pass defense to 50 (because currently my DB's can't keep up with cpu WR's) and decrease the cpu pass defense to 40 (because currently the cpu DB's are all over my WR's). This way (I am hoping) I can improve my pass offense a little while bringing the cpu pass offense back down to normal levels.

I am doing this because I just don't see how Nebraska is that much slower on both sides of the ball against all of the much lower rated teams. However, I wonder if I am experiencing this because of playing on AA? If I was playing on Varsity would my team be noticeably faster than the cpu or at least the same speed? I don't know.

acermina 07-29-2010 11:49 AM

This is really interesting analysis. I actually have been seeing better results for long runs and such by dropping tackling to 40 for both instead of increasing speed threshold. This even seems to effect the kick returns.

I don't know, it probably comes down to personal preference. I am just really intrigued by the idea that your completion % has dropped by decreasing the speed threshold, but the computer's has increased.

Very odd.

ab2c4 07-29-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acermina (Post 2041392774)
I don't know, it probably comes down to personal preference. I am just really intrigued by the idea that your completion % has dropped by decreasing the speed threshold, but the computer's has increased.

Very odd.

I know. I tested this over a series of exactly 15 games so it's not like it was a fluke or something.

acermina 07-29-2010 01:27 PM

Hey man, this guy Oreaon did a lot of analysis on the objective parts of the sliders. Here is what he said about the speed threshold. Funny, it's like the opposite of what you are saying. I still think I am going to stay with 50 pass D and 50 threshold. Good luck!

"I have a thread where I tested the threshold slider. A value of 70 gives you the real world gap. Open receivers deep occur against man mismatches but are still not 100%. I think people expect too many open deep routes. Because of AI route jumping and poor CPU deep passes I set this at 65 which is closer too reality and I have very realistic results. If you want wide open easy deep passes leave at 50 or decrease further. If you want a harder game increase this. However due to super AI route jumping I recommend to decrease pass coverage to 40 or 45 depending on your skill."

ab2c4 07-29-2010 02:08 PM

At a speed threshold of 65 like he has it pretty much everybody on the field has the same speed, which according to him is why he lowered pass defense to 40 for both. I understand exactly why he did that from reading through that post previously. My sliders are set differently since I realize I am not at the same player skill level as he is.

The problem I have with a speed threshold of 65 is that even at 50 neither team had much of a running attack at all, and RB's couldn't outrun even the slowest defensive lineman. At 65 that should be even worse.

I just need to go home tonight and try my new adjustments that I stated earlier. Sooner or later I will get the game playing well for my skill level.

ab2c4 07-29-2010 02:26 PM

Here is something interesting I came across in the thread we have been talking about:

"Be aware that this slider works differently than many have posted. It narrows the gap between all players. Since the game currently has CB with faster speed as a whole than WR this actually makes WR closer in speed to the CB not usually the other way around. I think the big issue is that the designers have rated CB speed too high and also made them run routes in front of recievers which is preposterous."

That would totally explain why the lower I set the speed threshold the more the cpu DB's blanket my WR's and totally shut them down. However, it is having the opposite effect when I am playing defense. I am really starting to think that what speed threshold really does is to make the cpu defensive players either slower or faster, while keeping your players the same speed.