Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   SFL Online Franchise (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   ACQB M11 Strategy Thread (/forums/showthread.php?t=434836)

RogueHominid 08-11-2010 10:26 AM

ACQB M11 Strategy Thread

Let's use this thread for discussing helpful tactics for stopping plays and looks that we see but struggle with. I believe a robust discussion on helpful tactics will serve two important functions: it will cut down bickering by crippling those money plays/tactics that we see and don't like, and it will raise the general level of league play by forcing us to be more varied in our approaches to the game.

Flats

Cover 3 puts blue zones to those areas and will ensure that a defender will be there on both sides of the field. Should a back catch the pass out there a gain is likely but it's not uncontested. The weak portion of the defense is in the middle in the short game. Taking the MLB is smart because it allows you to control slants and drags and also places you in the position to move quickly to the flat in the event of the quick snap and throw that happens before those blue zones settle in. You can accomplish the same support function by controlling the S in a hook zone, playing inside-out.

Cover 2 Hard Passes to the flats will be contested immediately and forcefully. You will be most vulnerable to streaks from the WR and corner routes. To mitigate this weakness in the coverage, consider spotlighting the receiver farthest from you and the taking the S to the wide side of the field to ensure that if a streak develops you are in an anticipatory position and have a chance to go swat that ball. Get extra depth and width pre-snap to help close distance. If you are certain that the opponent will not throw streaks, consider the OLB to the strong side and play inside-out from the slant to the flat.

Cover Two Variants There are several variations of the cover two in the 34 formations. One calls for a blitz by the RILB with hook zones across the remainder of the LB and CB corps. You may from time to time wish to use this permutation in the following way. Try pressing the corners and they using the blitzing LB to either generate quick heat up the middle to force a pass to the flats where your CBs will be, or to freestyle and cut one of the flats receivers off manually. The weakness will be in a slant or drag to that vacated area, but the presence of other defenders minimizes the chance that such freestyling will result in a massive gain.

You may even consider manning up this blitzing backer on the most dangerous threat while leaving everyone else in his assignment. You can do this as well with the cover two plays that have a MLB in a spy assignment. To minimize the chance of a slant or drag to this small vacated area going for a big play, you may control the other MLB in a 34 or the OLB nearest the vacated area and patrol both zones.

Man Coverage: Control the player assigned to the HB and shadow manually. The FB can be left to a CPU defender for the simple fact that most FB will not break games wide open from catching passes in the flats.

TheKingOfVa 08-11-2010 05:35 PM

Re: ACQB M11 Strategy Thread

The game needs a patch bad. It doesn't play like real football. It's like NBA Jam for football on offense. The Locomotion and pro-tak is out of control. If they can fix that then it will be a great game. Because right now every single game someone scores at least 40 points.

jyoung 08-11-2010 08:09 PM

Yeah it is going to be a long and painful season for the Detroit defense.

The offense will have to score 50 points a game to have any shot at a winning record, but I don't think the O-Line is good enough to sustain scoring drives this year.

The days of performing magic tricks with fragile speedsters and hit stick assassins are pretty much over.

ANDROMADA 1 08-11-2010 08:25 PM

The most points I've given up is 31 and that was against the saints. Most of my other games were actually low scoring...For my opponent that is. I like my defense. That could be just me though

RogueHominid 08-11-2010 08:30 PM

I just gave up 34 to the Saints with SF; that's my high for points allowed. I don't feel too bad since they're the Super Bowl champs.

I have yet to have a 10-7 game, though. I wonder how many of those other owners have had.

Some have suggested playing on All Madden this year instead of All Pro. Have others tried this and found it appropriately balanced (but not cheap as in years past)?

ANDROMADA 1 08-11-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trojan Man (Post 2041456795)
I just gave up 34 to the Saints with SF; that's my high for points allowed. I don't feel too bad since they're the Super Bowl champs.

I have yet to have a 10-7 game, though. I wonder how many of those other owners have had.

Some have suggested playing on All Madden this year instead of All Pro. Have others tried this and found it appropriately balanced (but not cheap as in years past)?

I had a 12-6 game that went to OT!! and a couple of 17-10 type games. Even pitched a couple shut outs before my opp quit.

jyoung 08-11-2010 08:34 PM

From what I've played so far, I'd say linebacker is the most important position to have this year on D.

For the last couple of years in Madden, it was CBs, but this year, I think it is definitely LBs because of how much you need them to blitz and lock down the middle of the field for you.

The days of being able to control the middle of the field manually with a safety are pretty much over, too.

RogueHominid 08-11-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1 (Post 2041456802)
I had a 12-6 game that went to OT!! and a couple of 17-10 type games. Even pitched a couple shut outs before my opp quit.

Wow. That's pretty good. I haven't been held to under 30 myself, if I can recall, but the lowest I've held an opponent to is probably 17. Most of my games have fallen in the 21-28 range though.

Have you had such low scoring games vs. league members in 10 minute matches?

And to Weeman's point, it's a tough call. DL is hugely important this year. I would put DL and LB as equally important. Lucky for me, I have the best backer in the game :). Willis is pure, unbridled destructive force.