Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   My feeble attempt at sliders (/forums/showthread.php?t=435540)

DJ 08-12-2010 11:11 PM

My feeble attempt at sliders

I usually like to leave sliders at default if possible, but I felt Madden 11 needed a little tweak as default All-Pro was too easy and All-Madden was a CPU break tackle-fest.

Again, these are very MINOR adjustments, but I've gotten very good results from the games I've played with them the past 2 days. Just an FYI, I don't change any of the sub-settings, I just adjust the main number for HUM Passing, Running, Pass Defense and Run Defense.

Game settings are up to the user, but I like:

Time: 12 min
Accelerated clock: Yes
Runoff: 20 sec
Game Speed: Slow
Threshold: 40

Sliders
HUM Passing: 12
HUM Rushing: 12
HUM Pass Defense: 14
HUM Rush Defense: 14

CPU RB Break Tackle: 45
CPU Pass Block: 40

Everything else leave at default. I don't like to mess with penalty sliders aside from Off/Def PI, which I bump up to the max. Special teams seem good @ default. I've seen the CPU miss a few chip-shot FGs so far, so no reason to change yet.

Fatigue settings for most positions I have at 80/85.

Hope this helps anyone that was "stuck" between levels like I was.

DJ 08-15-2010 01:44 AM

Re: My feeble attempt at sliders

Made one small change, bumping HUM Tackling up to 45, which now puts the Run Defense number at 11.

To get there, set the Custom Slider to 12, then go into the sub-sliders (A or X, depending on console) and bump up Tackling to 45 and that will drop the Custom Slider number down to 11.

I'm thinking of bumping CPU break tackle up to 35 or 40, but I will see. It is nice not seeing the CPU bounce off of my DL and LB every time I try and wrap up for a tackle. Weight matters now and if your DL or LB breaks through the hole and has a clean shot at the RB, chances are he's going to run over you anymore.

DJ 08-15-2010 07:59 PM

OK, another small change (well, two) ... Threshold is actually @ 50, not 40. This is strictly up to the User, but I'm finding the game plays just fine with it at default.

I bumped the CPU Break Tackle slider up to 40.

Played a game today, St. Louis @ New Orleans. Lost 45-21. I couldn't stop the Saints (big shock) and threw 4 picks with Bradford. I did manage 3 TDs with the rookie, but the turnovers really hurt.

I may run a franchise with the Rams. I like a lot of the players and Spags is a good coach. A nice rebuilding project, that's for sure.

DJ 08-27-2010 10:54 AM

Moved CPU Break Tackle to 45. This has helped improve the CPU's running game. Before they were averaging around 3-3.5 ypc and weren't breaking off any big runs. Now, they are around 4-6 ypc and you will see some big runs. Yes, they break more tackles, but it's not an unrealistic amount, imo.

DJ 08-30-2010 10:17 AM

CPU is definitely a threat to run the ball again, which is good. Be warned, if you don't wrap up or have a guy in the area to clean up a missed tackle by your teammate, the CPU will break off big runs.

DeAngelo Williams nailed me with an 80-yard TD run in my season opener with the Giants in Franchise Mode.

That game was really weird though as I won 50-10. If you were to look at the stats, you'd be hard-pressed to figure out how I won by 40 points (by far my biggest win in Madden 11 yet, and that's coming off a 1-3 preseason). Stats were pretty even across the board, aside from Moore really struggling to throw in the rain. I wound up with good field position most of the game (only had to drive 70-plus yards once), returned a punt for a TD and a fumble for a TD.

My preseason games were nothing like that. The first halves, where the starters played, were always close, with me either up or down 1-7 points. New York's backups aren't very good though and I always wound up getting blown out in the 2nd half.

I'm not going to overreact from just one result as these things do happen. I will keep an eye on it and if the blowouts become a trend, I will adjust the sliders.

DJ 09-01-2010 01:08 AM

Well, it's a good thing I listened to myself and didn't change the sliders ... Game 2 in my Giants Franchise saw New York travel to Indianapolis for Manning Bowl, Pt. II.

This game was pretty much the complete opposite of Week 1 as Big Blue was trounced by the Colts, 38-13. I couldn't stop Peyton at all, as he threw for over 400 yards. Reggie Wayne had 10 catches for 170-something yards, while Joseph Addai carried the rock 30-plus times for 150 yards.

Mathis and Freeney were getting in Eli's face all game and I only completed 44% of my passes. Jacobs had a good game, but was limited to 12 carries due to my falling behind by such a big number.

So, 1-1 after two games. These last 2 games were the first real blowouts I've seen since making the slider changes, so I'm happy with the results and didn't feel cheated either way. We'll see if things settle back into more of a defensive affair like what I witnessed my first 10-plus games with these settings.

DJ 09-05-2010 11:48 PM

Now 3-1 with the Giants and haven't played a close game yet. Not sure what to tweak at this point ... all the stats are right where I want them, yet I seem to win by 17-plus or lose by 3 scores.

Maybe increase the accelerated clock runoff to make the games shorter? I'm also wondering since I'm using default rosters if that has anything to do with the scores being one-sided?

I'm thinking of starting another franchise with Denver, using the latest roster set and will see if that changes things at all.

DJ 09-15-2010 12:45 AM

Changed HUM Run Defense back to 12. Yes, the CPU breaks more tackles, but it feels toned down from before. The change has helped make the CPU more dangerous. I nearly lost to the Texans today in my Giants franchise as they had the ball, down 28-23, inside my 5-yard-line but I intercepted a pass in the end zone to seal the win.