Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Madden NFL 11: Ian Cummings Interview (/forums/showthread.php?t=437447)

RaychelSnr 08-19-2010 11:20 AM

Madden NFL 11: Ian Cummings Interview

OS recently had the chance to speak with Madden NFL 11’s creative director Ian Cummings during a conference call. Check out the interview below.

Operation Sports: How does the "shoulders squared locomotion" feature function? Can you comment on the philosophy behind it? It would appear that players naturally want to turn it up field -- when was this idea brought to the table?

Ian Cummings: The locomotion system for us was about really getting back to the core of the game, you know? We just had so many problems that we couldn’t really solve with the old system, and so one of the big facets of locomotion is actually layered animation. And, typically a run cycle is a small clip of animation, but what we have been able to do with layers (we implemented a little bit of it in Madden NFL 10 with quarterbacks being able to throw out of sacks early) is really the ability to separate the parts of upper body from the lower body.

Read More - Madden NFL 11: Ian Cummings Interview

Logic Doctor 08-19-2010 11:40 AM

Interesting...

EarvGotti 08-19-2010 11:43 AM

Good read. Wish Madden 11 franchises' had slider adjustments. Hope they fix that online quitting bug soon!

DocHolliday 08-19-2010 11:47 AM

Kid skated and danced alot there.

jim316 08-19-2010 11:49 AM

yea, hopefully madden gets patched soon with the season right around the corner....thanks for the interview Steve.....

LuGer33 08-19-2010 11:49 AM

Good questions and liked the responses. Glad they are looking into many of the issues the community is having w/ the game. Here's hoping most of it can be adjusted soon enough.

ChicagoChris 08-19-2010 11:50 AM

Re: Madden NFL 11: Ian Cummings Interview

Ian: [Laughs] I’ve played our game, yeah. I use the play-action plays. I mean it’s something we’re looking at. You know a lot of people are complaining about it. I think it’s always kind of a balancing act in blocking, especially in locomotion -- we are trying to get everything solid. You know it’s something we’ll look at. Typically when I run play action, I run just a couple play-action plays that I like a lot and most of them have the fullback running out to the flat. I get rid of it really quickly. But yeah, play action is dangerous right now. I mean there’s no doubt about it -- you got to keep an extra guy in if you want to have a little extra time. We’re definitely looking at it. It’s something that people are complaining about. Same with the kick return blocking.

Good. At least they are aware of the PA and kick return blocking.

Senator Palmer 08-19-2010 11:50 AM

Re: Madden NFL 11: Ian Cummings Interview

Quote:

OS
Quote:

: Yeah, I noticed in the open field that guys are breaking tackles and wide receivers are breaking tackles more often than not. And not only that, they are breaking them to the house after they wiggle free.

Ian: Yeah, a lot of that comes from the ratings differentiation that we have. We make our guys spread out a lot more so that defensive backs tackling ratings are pretty low. They are not good tacklers for the most part so you’ve got to kind of try and swarm around the ball. Again, that is something we are trying to tune and see if we can make it any better -- if it warrants it. We are just always listening to the community and the hot-button issues, and we go from there.
The "if it warrants it" response to the tackle issue kinda has me scratching my head? If it warrants it?

And it's not just defensive backs that are getting shook off. I've seen smaller finesse back hit square in the hole by defensive linemen and 250lb linebackers who get brushed aside.