Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   ESPN NFL 2K5 Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   What quarter length gives you realistic stats for every position (/forums/showthread.php?t=43845)

Darth_Vader 07-29-2003 08:05 PM

What quarter length gives you realistic stats for every position

I am wondering what quarter most people play on NFL 2K3/4 to get realistic statistics. That includes team stats and player stats, even O-linemens.

I was a dedicated Madden player and I hated last year's version because of the way I was always first in the league on the throw and last on the pass for my defense.

Will 2k3 or 2k4 have this problem? I do understand that if I have a huge lead that CPU will throw more and run less, but I wish there was a way that there could be balance!

lordvader 07-29-2003 08:12 PM

Re: What quarter length gives you realistic stats for every position

I would say 7 minute quarters.

bgiese 07-29-2003 08:12 PM

I play 7 minute games, but play at a pretty quick pace. Often snaping the ball with 15 or 20 seconds on the play clock. Seems to give my HB a very good chance at 100 yards per game and my QB has had several 300 yard games.
I sim the rest of the league at 5 min quarters.

It's never gonna be perfect, but this seems close.

griffy97 07-29-2003 08:49 PM

On NFL 2k3, I played at 8 minute quarters, but simmed the other games at 5-minute quarters. This has been the recommended length (5 min) to sim games, according to Sega's own website. The sim engine was based on 5 minute quarters.

I am a 2k fan through and through. No better football game on the market. BUT...Madden's sim engine is just about perfect, no matter what length of quarter you play. This is one area I sincerely hope ESPN gets right this year. You should not have to adjust simmed quarter length to get accurate stats.

mcon2007 07-29-2003 10:32 PM

7 or 8. Doesn't make that much of a difference.

Howie75 07-29-2003 11:13 PM

Actually, whatever length gives you the proper amount of plays is the key. The stats will correspond. I used 11 min quarters, which suited my style of play. I take time calling plays, make my presnap reads etc., and snap the ball when the play clock is close to expiring. Using that I would get 115 -125 plays a game (the NFL average).

If you are really quick in between plays, you will need shorter quarters.

muzion 07-29-2003 11:36 PM

I play 10 minute quarters, but I take my time.

Howie75 07-30-2003 12:01 AM

I used 10 and got pretty good results, but got a few xtra plays for the comp on 11. Either one seems pretty good.