Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   'Madden' Video Game to Enter Hall of Fame (/forums/showthread.php?t=43891)

Dapo 07-30-2003 12:45 AM

\'Madden\' Video Game to Enter Hall of Fame

'Madden' Video Game to Enter Hall of Fame

Tue July 29, 2003 03:01 PM ET
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - John Madden may have been legendary as a professional football coach, but it took the cover of a video game to put him in the sport's greatest shrine.
The Pro Football Hall of Fame said on Tuesday it will honor the "Madden NFL Football" video game at its facility in Canton, Ohio, with an exhibit that chronicles its history while letting fans play along.

"It's an exhibit with Madden Football, with PlayStations (game consoles) in it, with a brief history of the development of the game itself," Hall spokesman Joe Horrigan told Reuters.

The "Madden NFL Football" series has sold more than 30 million copies in various incarnations over the last 14 years, and has become a guaranteed best seller for its publisher, Electronic Arts Inc.ERTS.O . The latest version of the games, "Madden NFL Football 2004," is due to be released next month.

The former Oakland Raiders coach and current TV commentator is involved with the video game's development every year, consulting on design and content.

While Madden is not a Hall of Fame member, he was honored last year with the Pete Rozelle Radio and Television Award for broadcasting. Madden's attention to linemen and the dirty work of blocking and tackling -- in contrast to the flash and dash of running backs and quarterbacks -- has proven a hit with fans.

In his coaching days, Madden led the Raiders to victory in Super Bowl XI in 1977.

The Hall of Fame exhibit will open this Saturday, Horrigan said.

The Article

Whaaaazuuuuup 07-30-2003 11:17 AM

Re: \'Madden\' Video Game to Enter Hall of Fame

Jeff8275 07-30-2003 12:17 PM

Yeah I just read this at IGN Xbox. Actually I think it's a great Idea as the game has done alot for football in America. Every year it seems we scramble and claw for a new version and it does get us excited for the upcoming NFL Season every year. To bad Canton is so far from me or I would make the trip just to see how it's done.

MaddenMan 07-30-2003 02:17 PM

I bet all of the Genesis Fhanboyz just love this.

**DONOTDELETE** 07-30-2003 02:25 PM

Madden's attention to linemen and the dirty work of blocking and tackling -- in contrast to the flash and dash of running backs and quarterbacks -- has proven a hit with fans.

Ironic, since this is totally opposite in the video game. So-called "suction" blocking and not many animations for line play or tackling along with robo-qb's and running backs like Marshall Faulk who apparently was the fastest man in the NFL last year.

CheckMate 08-01-2003 06:09 AM

HitDoctor 08-01-2003 11:08 AM

WOW!!!

Wjkporter 08-01-2003 04:30 PM

Sweet.....