Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   I hate to say it but... (/forums/showthread.php?t=44561)

SportsAce 08-03-2003 09:33 PM

I hate to say it but...

I really hate to admit it but I think ESPN NFL Football will beat Madden for best football game this year.

MaddenMan 08-03-2003 09:45 PM

Re: I hate to say it but...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
SportsAce said:
I really hate to admit it but I think ESPN NFL Football will beat Madden for best football game this year.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Beat? As in what? Sales figures?

Explain what you mean by beat?

SportsAce 08-03-2003 09:49 PM

As in overall game. You know Graphics, Gameplay, etc.

SPTO 08-03-2003 09:50 PM

I'd agree with that SportsAce but I think Madden will have the better franchise.

Labatt6Pack 08-03-2003 09:54 PM

If u like Big Soap Box Racer Models that look like Robots then ya ESPNs graphics are better... I dont kno which will be better gameplay wise, Ill play both before i make any assumptions

DrEvil1996 08-03-2003 10:11 PM

I think each game caters to its own audience. People that like to play each game of a franchise might be better suited playing ESPN, while people like me that play maybe half the games are better off with Madden. I say that because I think Madden does a much better job with simulating stats and the offseason things are better for Madden too, especially now with owner mode. I think Madden is better for people that play alot of multiplayer, I know I have a blast playing multiplayer franchises with friends. ESPN is catching up in this category now that they FINALLY added multiplayer franchises.

I would also say that ESPN is the better overall game on X Box while Madden is better on the PS2. I say this because for me, online play is a big deal. If I only had an X Box I would buy ESPN, but as it is I only have a PS2. That is why Madden will likely be my only purchase.

KymeraGB 08-03-2003 10:23 PM

In my opinion SEGA has 1-2 more years before they pass Madden in best OVERALL football game.

I kinda wish SEGA put NFL 2k on the PC but that wont happen cause they can hardly afford to put comercials on TV.

if SEGA 2k4 was on PC id prolly get both this year, but i can see it eventually passing Madden if they keep up the work there doing with there franchise.

iLLWiLL 08-03-2003 11:02 PM

Simple as this -- if Sega's style fits your gameplay preferences, Sega's game is the winner. If Madden's style fits your gameplay preferences, then Madden is the winner. There will never be a clear winner...except Madden, in terms of sales

Brandwin 08-03-2003 11:09 PM

iLLWiLL said:
Simple as this -- if Sega's style fits your gameplay preferences, Sega's game is the winner. If Madden's style fits your gameplay preferences, then Madden is the winner. There will never be a clear winner...except Madden, in terms of sales

Think that about sums it up.

ODogg 08-04-2003 02:37 AM

Every year people think ESPN "looks" better from what they see of it but every year a very high majority of those people are highly dissapointed. I doubt this year will be any different. I think it'll probably be a good game but not on par with Madden. I think it's a rental for me personally. And yeah, I really doubt it's even close to Madden for franchise which is a big part of the game for me.

Klue516 08-04-2003 06:56 AM

DookieMowf said:
iLLWiLL said:

brymshaw 08-04-2003 07:25 AM

I think this is by far the best Football Game SEGA Has put out , but MADDEN Should still be slightly better at least in Gameplay Dept .

CheckMate 08-04-2003 08:20 AM

Klue516 said:
DookieMowf said:
iLLWiLL said:

agreed.

dave374 08-04-2003 08:45 AM

Sega's football game just didn't play as smooth as Madden last year - the passes were floaty, the game didn't seem to always run over 30fps (PS2), and I hated the play selector interface.
Sega seems to have a problem with fps in their PS2 games - they're all jittery - especially World Series Baseball.
I prefer Sega's basketball game to EA's though.
And... competition is good - and Sega's football game was hardly a slouch.

MMan 08-04-2003 09:14 AM

SportsmanTO said:
I'd agree with that SportsAce but I think Madden will have the better franchise.

Dead on...... short..sweet and the truth

k2thaz 08-04-2003 12:48 PM

I don't like this nonsense crap. Comparing.

I really don't care what the magazines say. They all picked Madden, they won't change my choice.

Madden is My game.

It depends on what you want. I like every aspect of a football game and I believe Madden gives it to me.

As for Sales. Madden has more Pub... more systems and marketing so it's simple... Madden will sell more.

Choice what you will, folks. I am glad this didn't get into a dispute.

JayBee74 08-04-2003 01:47 PM

iLLWiLL said:

My only hesitation in buying Madden is the similiar engine it shares with NCAA 2004, which I purchased. The fact I'm an XBox owner has be leaning toward ESPN.

playerX 08-04-2003 03:36 PM

SportsAce said:

he means beat it out in quality of the games...and finally you have seen the light! lol

KymeraGB 08-04-2003 04:02 PM

If i had still had a xbox id get ESPN just to have a diff style of play. But i sold all my consoles (g/f wants a xbox again so maybe i can convince her to pick up EPSN too LOL)

but ill have Madden for PC this year. I enjoyed 2k-2k2 (3 wasnt my kind of game, i dunno why). Im glad we didnt turn this into a huge argument

Very Mature people here.

monsterhound 08-04-2003 07:51 PM

dave374 said:
Sega's football game just didn't play as smooth as Madden last year - the passes were floaty, the game didn't seem to always run over 30fps (PS2), and I hated the play selector interface.
Sega seems to have a problem with fps in their PS2 games - they're all jittery - especially World Series Baseball.
I prefer Sega's basketball game to EA's though.
And... competition is good - and Sega's football game was hardly a slouch.

So true... That was my biggest complaint with NFL 2k last year. The PS2 version was miserable in terms of frame rate. I loved the 2k series on the Dreamcast, but the lousy framerate on last year's PS2 version killed the game for me. Sega's been drumming the "polish" of this year's version and I have an Xbox now too so I'll be picking it up down the road, but Madden's new owner mode has me eager to try that out first.

As to the main issue: who has the better game will be open for debate. Madden won't be beaten in the sales figure department though, no matter how good ESPN is, until Sega does some halfway decent marketing over the course of a few years.

KymeraGB 08-04-2003 08:00 PM

the problem is Sega doesnt market there games as good as other companies and its due tothe fact there hard up for $$.

The Dreamcast was a great system but how many comercials did you see about it?? I think i saw about 5 the entire time it was out. It died cause there was no advertising and if SEGA cant improve there marketing then there gonna be behind in sales for a long time.

I want SEGA to succeed cause i think there the makers of some of the best games ever to grace consoles. I hope they can stick around cause without SEGA,i think the video game market is gonna hurt a little.

Jordan 08-04-2003 09:04 PM

before i ever change from madden, madden will have to be a game I can't enjoy playing. So if madden keeps me intrested, no reason to change it. Besides NBA2k3 disapointed me beyond words. So SEGA has ground in my market.

Madden

dolfandupree 08-05-2003 04:18 PM

Until Sega's football games become more polished, EA shouldn't have too much to worry about.