Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Depth Chart and Formation Sub Limitations that Should be Eliminated (/forums/showthread.php?t=453640)

Palo20 10-28-2010 07:52 PM

Depth Chart and Formation Sub Limitations that Should be Eliminated

I know the Madden team has tried to curb attempts at cheese by only allowing a few positions to be interchangeable, but there are some subs that we’re not allowed to do that are done in the NFL all the time.
HB:
Current: Only HBs and FBs are allowed here.
Should Allow: WRs
Guys like Percy Harvin and Dexter McCluster are becoming more popular than ever, and they often line up in the backfield and take hand offs.
<O:p</O:p
FB:
Current: Only FBs and TEs.
Should Allow: OLineman and DLineman
This is a common move by NFL teams.
TE:
Current: Only TEs, FBs, OTs, and DTs
Should Allow: ALL OLineman and DLineman
In the current system, Haloti Ngata is not allowed to play as a TE because he is listed as a DE.

Also, ANY OLineman should be able to line up as an extra TE, not just Ts. Last year in the NFL there were more offensive sets using 6 OLineman in many, many years.
DE:
Current: Only DEs, DTs, and OLBs
Should Allow: MLBs
For the 49ers, Ahmad Brooks lines up as a pass rushing DE on 3<SUP>rd</SUP> downs. In last year’s Madden, he was listed as a MLB so this was not possible.
S:
Current: Only S and CB
Should Allow: WR and OLB
Randy Moss often plays deep safety on Hail Marys. SSs are allowed to play OLB, so why not the other way around too? OLB Brandon Chillar filled in at SS last year for the Packers.
KR:
Current: Only HB, FB, WR, CB, S
Should Allow: TE
For the 49ers, Delani Walker has returned kicks this year. Interesting because the game allows PRs to be TEs.

X12Celtics3 10-28-2010 07:56 PM

Re: Depth Chart and Formation Sub Limitations that Should be Eliminated

I agree with a lot of these. I'd particularly like to be able to use an offensive lineman as a fullback. Dan Connolly plays FB a lot for the Patriots, and I'm sure that he is a much better blocker than Morris, who is more of a runningback anyway.

LiquorLogic 10-29-2010 12:31 PM

This is a programming issue. The ratings don't have enough significance to prevent exploits, so Tiburon simply limits where you can put players to cover it up.

Antec 10-29-2010 12:54 PM

Pretty sure it's designed that way for online play. Nobody wants to play a game against Desean Jackson getting 28 pitches. The FB/TE sets would make sense if they only put the formation subs in the goalline formation.

It would be nice if they separated online ranked games and everything else with different rule sets. That way you can still do what you want offline and if you're in an Online Franchise let the franchise set the rules for what you can and can't do.

Or another solution would be to give players secondary positions. That way Percy & McCluster will be given the green light for being used out of the backfield but players with high speed but would never be used in that situation like Moss would be left out.

Palo20 10-29-2010 01:25 PM

I know it's designed for online play, and that's what bothers me. I'm rarely play online, and I should be able to do anything I want with my game offline.

I'm not one of the people who cry that ratings don't matter in the game, but if they fixed it up a bit, there wouldn't be an issue with people lining up Randy Moss at HB all the time.

I agree that they definitely need Secondary positions. That would help a lot.

Some of my other suggestions like letting a LG play TE or a MLB play DE would not really "break" the game.

at23steelers 10-29-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palo20 (Post 2041796789)
I know it's designed for online play, and that's what bothers me. I'm rarely play online, and I should be able to do anything I want with my game offline.

I'm not one of the people who cry that ratings don't matter in the game, but if they fixed it up a bit, there wouldn't be an issue with people lining up Randy Moss at HB all the time.

I agree that they definitely need Secondary positions. That would help a lot.

Some of my other suggestions like letting a LG play TE or a MLB play DE would not really "break" the game.

Awareness doesn't matter a whole lot in madden, although is getting better, but I would bet Randy Moss would play better corner in madden than 90% of current CB's.

Antec 10-29-2010 05:45 PM

The man coverage rating means a lot so I would be doubtful.