Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Getting Sacks on the QB (/forums/showthread.php?t=455671)

boxtrev 11-10-2010 09:13 PM

Getting Sacks on the QB

Okay. So here is my problem. I have the hardest time sacking the CPU. I just recently bumped my USER pass rush up to 70 (so that should make it easier to sack the QB, right?) and I am still only getting 2 sacks a game. I really want to try to be able to get 5-8 sacks a game. I don't know if I am calling the wrong plays or what. So does anyone know some good defenses that get a lot of heat on the QB?

By the way, I operate out of both the 4-3 and 3-4 defenses. So any good nano-blitzes/good heat blitzes would be appreciated. Thanks!

shane79013 11-10-2010 09:17 PM

Re: Getting Sacks on the QB

Florida State leads the entire country with 38 sacks in 9 games. That is 4.22 a game. The 2nd place team only has 32 sacks in 9 games 5-8 sacks a game is incredibly unrealistic and you should be happy if your getting 2 a game.

z4ckdabeast 11-10-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Okay. So here is my problem. I have the hardest time sacking the CPU. I just recently bumped my USER pass rush up to 70 (so that should make it easier to sack the QB, right?) and I am still only getting 2 sacks a game. I really want to try to be able to get 5-8 sacks a game. I don't know if I am calling the wrong plays or what. So does anyone know some good defenses that get a lot of heat on the QB?

By the way, I operate out of both the 4-3 and 3-4 defenses. So any good nano-blitzes/good heat blitzes would be appreciated. Thanks!
5 - 8 a game is very unrealistic, people like this make me laugh. :lol:

boxtrev 11-10-2010 09:30 PM

You misunderstood me. I am not saying I want to get 5-8 sacks every game but it would be nice if I could get that at least ONE game. I max at 2 sacks a game and times that by 12 and that is 24 sacks. Pathetic.

domcolosi 11-10-2010 09:37 PM

Okay, you've heard that it's totally unrealistic to expect 5 sacks a game. It is. But maybe you want more sacks than 2 a game?

* Score more points. If your opponent is behind, they're more likely to pass, which means more sack opportunities.

* Play passing teams. More passing plays that way.

* Blitz more often. Sending 6 guys makes you more likely to get burned deep, but it will up your sack count, too.

* Recruit better DEs and DTs. Obviously, stud DEs and DTs will break through more often.

* Recruit more DEs and DTs. That will let you play with more 5-linemen sets. Rushing with 5 linemen is better than rushing 4 linemen and a ROLB, sometime.

* Against a QB who is very unlikely to scramble, or on obvious passing downs, audible your line to play "wide" (right stick up). This spreads them out, and I've found that it makes it more likely for a guy to get only one blocker on him, so when he breaks that block he's home free. Works best with great coverage though.

Those tips don't necessarily help your game, though. In fact, depending on your team, they might cause you to lose more often. Consider, though, that FSU lost its games this year in part due to some very long pass plays while FSU was blitzing. It's tough to get great pressure and great coverage at the same time!

I've had games where I've had 5+ sacks, but they don't come often. Mostly, they come for me late in the game when the opposing team is trying to pass on every down and I can get better coverage with my Dime/Quarter package, believe it or not.

Senator Palmer 11-10-2010 09:48 PM

Yeah, spread your line. Set the gameplan to aggressive d-line and on passing downs use "pass commit". Squeeze the left trigger and up on the right stick and your line will pin their ears back and fire off the ball to collapse the pocket.

BlastX21 11-10-2010 10:36 PM

The CPU does have a tendency to automatically find an open guy once pressure gets there, so its not all your fault. I would suggest an overload blitz though. Basically you blitz one guy from the outside, then shift your D-line to that side. The theory is that the shifting moves the DL to take up all the blockers on that side which leaves the blitzer as a free runner to the QB.

IHATESOUP 11-10-2010 11:00 PM

It could be as easy as finding your best lineman and use him. SOme of my lineman for some reason can 90% of the time hed blocks which makes it easier to get sacks. Also look to see what he is better at power or finesse, you could have been using his weaker moves.
YOu also have to take chances, if you know they have to pass it then take the risk and bring a corner or a speedy LB. YOu do have to think numbers, bringing 3 down lineman and a LB might not beas good (depending on play call) as just 4 lineman because usually LB cannot shed blocks. Just take risks and hope for the best