Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   QB Release (/forums/showthread.php?t=456861)

Staalker 11-19-2010 02:27 AM

QB Release

After a rocky start, amazingly enough the CPU agreed with reality that the Bengals who had enough weapons to have a winning season wouldn't....but I made major changes in year two and built a young team with Rookies and free agents that I am proud of thus far.

It's been 8 seasons, in game, and I played every single one of those. I have a playbook that I designed to make use of my two great TE's. I almost always have two of them on the field, out of the three I roster. I have a fast WR on the outside who catches more balls in traffic than a street drain near a golf course. I have a giant, 6'5" WR on the other side who is fast and makes Micheal Jordan style jumps for catches over some of the best DB's in the league. With Cedric Benson at Full back, still rated an 89 after all these years and Jamario Alexander in his 5th year at HB I have enough guys out there to catch anything thrown up in the air.

The new season is 6 weeks old, and despite having solid seasons for the last 3 years, my QB seems to be having an issue. So I watched replays during the game on failed pass attempts and I discovered that Dan Perry, my drafted QB is highly accurate, decent throw power, and great at playaction...but his release is slow. Not weak, slow.

Now, I always assumed that throw power had a lot to do with a QB's release speed, but sitting at 90 I can't see why his is much slower than my 2nd string who only has an 83. My 83 TP QB has a release that is two or three times faster than my starter.

I did some practice with various QB's around the league, and I have come to the conclusion that a QB's release is not actually tied to any stat. I am guessing it's just something that is coded into the player. I made a few QB's in Player Creation just to see the variance, giving them all equal stats and out of five 2 had fast releases.

The issue I am having on my team now is that our pass patterns are quick, and often overlapping. So when the recievers cross or cut I need the QB to fire that ball in there, but mine can't. I have to time the throw early to make sure his release would be when the WR would make his cut. The problem with that is that the CPU won't let the WR make the cut, since the QB started to throw the ball before it. So the ball sails into the defenders head or hands.

Sure, I can change my PB to give more room to make throws, but I really like the feel of the team right now. Only the fastest defenses can shut down my offense, and even though we average 7 or 8 yards per catch, it's productive...when the QB can make the throw.

So. Am I right about release? Is there a stat that determines that which I haven't noticed or looked at? Or is it really just, try the guy out and see how fast he fires it out of there?

If I am right, I will probably just make changes to find a more accomodating QB for my current setup. Really can't see changing the team for one guy, when I can change him instead.

Thanks in advance.

Gordy748 11-19-2010 05:59 AM

Re: QB Release

Madden has different throwing styles for the QBs, could it be that the animation for one is longer (hence causing your problem) than the others?

jethrobag 11-19-2010 08:14 AM

Try editing the throwing motion to a faster release. I know Aaron Rodgers and drew brees have faster throwing motions. Also, the one labeled mississippi (brett favre) is pretty quick as well

Staalker 11-19-2010 12:53 PM

I forgot about the QB styles. I will give that a try later today and see what happens. Thanks!

VikeKing 11-19-2010 09:33 PM

I noticed this too in franchise. After playing with Matt Cassell for four seasons, I put in Chris Robinson (3rd year pro at this point). I don't know if 'Generic' QB style just has an amazingly fast release or I am too used to playing as Cassell...but it made things much easier. With Cassell I had to read routes and start the throw before reciever actually broke open - to account for the release lag.

youALREADYknow 11-20-2010 09:33 AM

Should be rating/tendency based and not based upon a user editable "throw motion".

Staalker 11-24-2010 04:10 PM

I changed his style to T.Romo after messing around with most of them in several patterns. My QB had J. Russell, for some strange reason (i thought they all had generic style from the draft).

Romo's is sickly fast. It's almost like his arm doesn't move and then the ball is shot out.

I agree that it SHOULD be stat based. Still, at least I don't have to try and change QB's to make it work.

im_noob 11-24-2010 11:57 PM

I thought all the draft QB's had "generic" for their style.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?