Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Should the next EA football game be re-titled? (/forums/showthread.php?t=456911)

ianlast 11-19-2010 01:11 PM

Should the next EA football game be re-titled?

All this recent discussion about Madden 11's sales dropping and the possibility of taking it in a new direction got me thinking about something: is the title of 'Madden' 12 worth keeping around at this point?

There once was a time when the 'Madden' name was synonymous with NFL football simulation, it helped distinguish the game as an authentic representation of NFL football amidst a glut of competitors on the SNES/Sega Genesis. Now it seems that what 'Madden' represents has morphed into something altogether different. Yes, the 'Madden' name has become a cultural symbol of sorts, but I can't help but feel that it is now synonymous with a stale franchise, and one that is slowly starting to turn off hardcore football fans.

So what do you think? Does the 'Madden' namesake still hold too much clout to be changed, even in light of waning sales and growing customer dissatisfaction?

Armor and Sword 11-19-2010 01:21 PM

Re: Should the next EA football game be re-titled?

Never gonna happen as long as EA makes a football game. It is one of the iconic brand names in video game history.

My vote is a resounding no.

ryan36 11-19-2010 03:20 PM

They would NEVER consider this. Ever. They'd lose 20 years of brand awareness.

The GIGGAS 11-19-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan36 (Post 2041859189)
They would NEVER consider this. Ever. They'd lose 20 years of brand awareness.

Ryan is right. People know Madden as football.

pietasterp 11-19-2010 07:25 PM

I think they should change the name of the franchise to "NFL Elite".

3bitz 11-19-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianlast (Post 2041858767)
All this recent discussion about Madden 11's sales dropping and the possibility of taking it in a new direction got me thinking about something: is the title of 'Madden' 12 worth keeping around at this point?

There once was a time when the 'Madden' name was synonymous with NFL football simulation, it helped distinguish the game as an authentic representation of NFL football amidst a glut of competitors on the SNES/Sega Genesis. Now it seems that what 'Madden' represents has morphed into something altogether different. Yes, the 'Madden' name has become a cultural symbol of sorts, but I can't help but feel that it is now synonymous with a stale franchise, and one that is slowly starting to turn off hardcore football fans.

So what do you think? Does the 'Madden' namesake still hold too much clout to be changed, even in light of waning sales and growing customer dissatisfaction?

I doubt it. But if it played like 2k5, I would would buy it. I also would rather see it called John Gruden Football 2k12! That guy has better insight than anyone, just like Madden did.

PantherBeast_OS 11-19-2010 08:52 PM

Madden name has been part of football for many years. I doubt it will ever happen. The name of the football game has nothing to do with the sales or anything. It's the game itself. So no EA will never change it no matter what.

Phixius 11-19-2010 09:35 PM

Wouldn't really hurt EA to re-title the game or better yet just drop Madden out of it. I don't see why continue with a person that has very little to do with the game these day.