Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Future Features from a past game.. (/forums/showthread.php?t=460061)

jjsmitty34 12-11-2010 12:52 PM

Future Features from a past game..

Just look at some of the great features from Madden 2005 for PS2;

- Hit Stick
- Create a fan
- Preseason Position Battles
- Owners Mode
- Tony Bruno Radio Show
- 1st round bust and late round gems.
- Playmaker Controls before snap
- Storyline central
- local and national newspapers like the San Francisco Chronicle and USA Today to detail all of the player gripes and highlights
- Working Trade Block
- player's interests in various aspects about your team, from talent and head coach to staff, stadium, fans, market, money, weather, mentoring, and team success
- you can relocate teams, change the uniform colors, build a new stadium, change the turf to natural grass
- based on your team's prestige and what you do, not only on the field, but off the field in terms of acquisitions, trades, signings, and cuts, your players will actually be affected
- your players will actually progress during the season. Play Kyle Boller more and his awareness will go up with experience. But it also works the other way. Throw too many picks or run a player into the ground, and no, they won't retire so they can smoke some more weed, but their ratings will take a hit.
- ability to change player positions
- A draft that works well
- Also the players you pick actually affect the morale of the players already on your team

I could keep going and going about the feature of Madden 2005 for the PS2.

Once they can add these features back, I'll start buying madden again. Hopefully they can start with Madden 12. If not I'll keep waiting until they do...

PGaither84 12-11-2010 02:57 PM

Re: Future Features from a past game..

- Hit Stick is in the game
- Create a fan was stupid
- Preseason Position Battles are needed
- Owners Mode was stupid
- Tony Bruno Radio Show was alright, but got repetative and boring
- 1st round bust and late round gems. are in the game and were not in last gen.
- Playmaker Controls before snap are in the game, but not as many. I agree
- Storyline central is needed
- local and national newspapers like the San Francisco Chronicle and USA Today to detail all of the player gripes and highlights My understanding they lost the license for these, but in Madden 07 or 08 on last gen they still had generic newspapers. We don't need licensed newspapers. We could use ESPN news "from around the league."
- Working Trade Block wasn't in last gen. At least, not any different than today.
- player's interests in various aspects about your team, from talent and head coach to staff, stadium, fans, market, money, weather, mentoring, and team success are in the game, but are set to off, just like player roles from Madden 07.
- you can relocate teams, change the uniform colors, build a new stadium, change the turf to natural grass are still in the game as far as I know. Do you even play franchise mode?
- based on your team's prestige and what you do, not only on the field, but off the field in terms of acquisitions, trades, signings, and cuts, your players will actually be affected I agree it would be nice, this is all a part of moral.
- your players will actually progress during the season. I would like to see this as well, but I want to keep potential-based progression that we have, just adjusted for multiple in-season progression/re-evaluation points.
- ability to change player positions is in the game, again, do you even play this game?
- A draft that works well actually, it works better now that it ever has before... at some point I think the answer is no, you don't play this game.
- Also the players you pick actually affect the morale of the players already on your team. I agree, would be nice to see this back, though it wasn't tuned too well. I traded Richard Seymroe to Oakland for Randy Moss in Madden 07 which is something they "kind of" ended up doing in real life over the next few real life years. The game had my team hate that I traded away Seymore, and NFL Icon Play Role and ignored that I added Moss a different NFL Icon.

Quote:

I could keep going and going about the feature of Madden 2005 for the PS2.

Once they can add these features back, I'll start buying madden again. Hopefully they can start with Madden 12. If not I'll keep waiting until they do...
The bold section is why I replied the way I did.

It sounds more like you, as well as a ton of us, want to see the return of franchise features. Parts of the game that don't involve X's and O's. Storyline central, player roles, player moral, a pre-season that matters to a team, etc.

Senator Palmer 12-11-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGaither84 (Post 2041928080)
- Owners Mode was stupid

Just wanted to throw this out there -- I loved owners mode. I actually enjoyed setting the price of hot dogs and parking. Raising ticket prices for playoff games or lowering them when I took over a struggling franchise with low attendance.

It was one of those little things that kept me engaged beyond just the gameplay. Build a juggernaut, jump to a loser with horrible finances then proceed to turn them into the class of the NFL. I could squeeze a good 15 seasons out of franchise mode doing this. Made me feel like a rolling stone, like Parcells. Now there's not anything dynamic to make the game feel as alive or connected to the city your team is playing in, other than maybe free agency and the draft.

And, oh yeah, jjsmitty34, hit stick did make it over to this gen and it's actually an improvement over 05. You can actually go high or low on a player.

PGaither84 12-11-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senator Palmer (Post 2041928146)
Just wanted to throw this out there -- I loved owners mode. I actually enjoyed setting the price of hot dogs and parking. Raising ticket prices for playoff games or lowering them when I took over a struggling franchise with low attendance.

It was one of those little things that kept me engaged beyond just the gameplay. Build a juggernaut, jump to a loser with horrible finances then proceed to turn them into the class of the NFL. I could squeeze a good 15 seasons out of franchise mode doing this. Made me feel like a rolling stone, like Parcells. Now there's not anything dynamic to make the game feel as alive or connected to the city your team is playing in, other than maybe free agency and the draft.

Seriously? Setting hotdog prices from $X to $Y which had zero impact on attendence and a marginal [at best] impact on your revenue kept you engaged?

Different strokes I guess. More power to you man. The storyline central, player roels, moral and so forth are what kept me interested. Buying cup holders and an internet cafe for Candlestick Park, not so much.

P.S. Now, setting ticket prices, and raising them for playoff games was nice.

Senator Palmer 12-11-2010 04:05 PM

I can dig it. Different strokes. I know it didn't have a huge impact, but it was just one of those little quirks that I liked -- like clicking on that page where your advisors would recommend lowering prices for parking because fans were complaining. It was just another little fun way to compete. It made me feel like I had a fan base to please. Now I could care less. Attendance is gonna be what it's gonna be. Can't do anything about it one way or the other, wheras last gen, coming off a Super Bowl, I got a bit greedy, and raised prices on everything. My sellout streak ended with a 2% drop in attendance the very next week.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED storyline central too. I had a great routine every time I fired up the game, going through newspapers, looking at the scouting report, then going through my team moral -- who wasn't getting enough catches, who was angling for a new contract, etc.

It was the sum total of everything that kept me engaged. To go a little deeper with it, it was these little things that made me feel like the designers were leaving no stone unturned in trying to bring every conceivable detail of a football franchise into Madden -- even if the detail was something as insignificant as the price of soda. It felt real. In the Georgia Dome for instance, they have half price off concessions to get fans to the game early. Now it's probably not fair to say that the designers cared more back then because they gave us food prices, but the subconscious is a tricky thing. They spoiled us by letting us control everything.

The first thing I did a few years ago when I upgraded to a next gen console was go into franchise mode and look for my ticket prices, newspapers, radio show, etc. Needless to say, I was :confused:.

kjcheezhead 12-11-2010 04:44 PM

Maybe it's just me, but there is more in the old game that was fun besides franchise improvements. I actually liked the mini games, a lot. Swat ball, chase and tackle, the qb drills, etc. were just done better. Tryng to get all gold trophies and get those madden cards you couldn't get any other way was great.

Speaking of madden cards, I also enjoyed collecting them and trying to do all those challenges that got you the points you used to buy them. Complete a pass to 7 different wrs, get 100 yrds rushing and passing with 1 player, stuff like that. If they brought that back and forced you to try and complete all the challenges to get the max points, I think it could be a really enjoyable feature again.

Superstar mode could use a facelift as well.

This is why I like NBA 2k11 as well. There's mini games, be a pro mode, association, the Jordan challenges. A lot of stuff to keep you entertained. Current madden just lacks in ways to keep a person wanting to play.

PGaither84 12-11-2010 06:10 PM

Yes, the min games and challenges were fun. More over, unlike madden 09's Virtual Trainer, that is still in the game, those mini games actually taught you how to play better. You had to learn the timing on swatting passes and getting interceptions and catches and angles and so forth. Those challenges also helped me become a better madden player. The one about throwing to 7 different receivers helped me out years ago back in Madden 02 or what ever it was. I learned to spread the ball around and find the open guy, where ever and who ever it was.

PantherBeast_OS 12-11-2010 06:28 PM

Yea I love alot of these features that was in madden 07 ps2 version. I loved the owner mode. That would need a upgraded of today version. I would also love to see players holdout for more money or refuse to resign with that certain team because he ain't happy. It would be very nice to see alot of this put back into madden 12.