Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Why Did the Comeback Route Change from Madden 10 to Madden 11? (/forums/showthread.php?t=460884)

Palo20 12-17-2010 12:17 AM

Why Did the Comeback Route Change from Madden 10 to Madden 11?

I'm talking about the deep, sideline Comeback route (not the simple hitch route). A Manning to Wayne staple and I think it got ruined for Madden 11.

The structure of the route changed for some reason and the Madden 11 Comeback route is less realistic and very difficult to complete. Even when thrown with perfect timing, the CB still usually breaks on the ball before the WR and the only way to catch it is to make an awkward user catch or sometimes the WR breaks into a sideline animation.

Here is a comparison:

Madden 10 Comeback Route
<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/83Wct4aGqx4?fs=1&hl=en_US allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Madden 11 Comeback Route
<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/gUmgRwz5taA?fs=1&hl=en_US allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Manning to Wayne Comeback Route
<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/y7gTH8RGJus?fs=1&hl=en_US allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

Madden 10 looks much more realistic to me. The only issue they had was sometimes the CB would push the WR backwards in an awkward animation and forward progress would not be given. It would turn a 12 yard gain into a 4 yard gain.

stp2081 12-17-2010 01:11 AM

Re: Why Did the Comeback Route Change from Madden 10 to Madden 11?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palo20 (Post 2041946804)
Even when thrown with perfect timing, the CB still usually breaks on the ball before the WR and the only way to catch it is to make an awkward user catch or sometimes the WR breaks into a sideline animation.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I usually play on the skill setting at 14, with no slider adjustments, and the DBs jump the comeback route almost all of the time, so I either ignore the receiver running a comeback route, or hot-route him to some other pattern pre-snap.

RJTurneR 12-17-2010 09:24 AM

This is the route that caused me to throw 3 INT's in one game. Really sucks as it is one of my favorites. The Fade route has become a popular choice for me lately.

adembroski 12-17-2010 10:10 AM

Because the comeback was money in Madden 10.

Rangerneb 12-17-2010 10:58 AM

Man defense was also broken in '10, thats why the route looks prettier.

Palo20 12-17-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adembroski (Post 2041947434)
Because the comeback was money in Madden 10.

I guess that does answer my original question.

Is that satisfactory to you? Obviously it would be better to fix the coverage logic so that it's not a money play. Instead they change how it is run, eliminated a route that is an NFL staple, and turned it into a useless play.

Evan_OS 12-17-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerneb (Post 2041947556)
Man defense was also broken in '10, thats why the route looks prettier.

And 11 isn't broken? I'll be honest, I enjoyed playing defense with last years more than this years.

On Topic: The Madden 11 comeback looked like a deep out if you ask me, but obviously the ball the ball placement reared the WR out of bounds. I can't complete 11's or 10's comeback on a consistent basis.

adembroski 12-17-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palo20 (Post 2041947951)
I guess that does answer my original question.

Is that satisfactory to you? Obviously it would be better to fix the coverage logic so that it's not a money play. Instead they change how it is run, eliminated a route that is an NFL staple, and turned it into a useless play.

Well, part of the issue... and I think it's obvious from looking at the two routes and noting the specific differences... is the addition of locomotion. In the first one, real life locomotion is simulated through the animation, where as in Madden 11, locomotion is affecting the player in addition too that simulated locomotion.

So inertia has effectively twice the effect on the route. No, it's not satisfactory, and it's "necessary" because of defensive coverage AI.

EA has stated that coverage AI is being addressed this season. I hope it works out.