Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Auto Pocket Presence (/forums/showthread.php?t=461318)

Nonpack 12-20-2010 12:17 PM

Auto Pocket Presence

Instead of the manual way of moving the quaterback which often times means dropping back 50 yards for 5 yard pass. Does anyone think that they (EA) should include auto pocket presence? Just like when you press A or X and the quaterback drops back automatically but also have the ability to move around the pocket away from the pressure. This would help the user by being able to keep their eyes downfield while the quaterbacks natural talent shows based on how well he moves. If the user wanted to run with QB all he would have to do is press RT/R2 or move the left stick. If the user wanted to keep the auto drop back but not the ability to evade then they would be able to toggle this on/off. There would be a pocket presence rating set which includes the players footwork, agility, speed, and awarness. Again does anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Only1LT 12-20-2010 12:23 PM

Re: Auto Pocket Presence

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonpack (Post 2041957013)
Instead of the manual way of moving the quaterback which often times means dropping back 50 yards for 5 yard pass. Does anyone think that they (EA) should include auto pocket presence? Just like when you press A or X and the quaterback drops back automatically but also have the ability to move around the pocket away from the pressure. This would help the user by being able to keep their eyes downfield while the quaterbacks natural talent shows based on how well he moves. If the user wanted to run with QB all he would have to do is press RT/R2 or move the left stick. If the user wanted to keep the auto drop back but not the ability to evade then they would be able to toggle this on/off. There would be a pocket presence rating set which includes the players footwork, agility, speed, and awarness. Again does anyone else think this would be a good idea?

I do not, but maybe that's just me.

I think it's an integral part of passing to maneuver the QB around pressure, while trying to see receivers downfield. That's what playing QB is about. I don't want that process automated.

I don't think it's very fun to do in Madden, because the way that the QB moves is not done well at all. It is incredibly fun to do in 2K, because they got the look and feel of the QB's movements done very well. The amount of momentum is not perfect, but the best I've seen. There is an element of being in control, but not too in control. They tried to do this in Madden 10 and 11, but it feels more like the controls are unresponsive than inertia. It doesn't feel that way with 2K.

I think this is what they need to improve.

Nonpack 12-20-2010 12:49 PM

I agree that in 2k it feels way better which gives a greater sense of realism, but in Madden this could be used to counter or get rid of the bad habit of dropping way too far back.

Only1LT 12-20-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonpack (Post 2041957105)
I agree that in 2k it feels way better which gives a greater sense of realism, but in Madden this could be used to counter or get rid of the bad habit of dropping way too far back.

I understand what you are saying, but the reason why people do this isn't because of a lack of auto drop back. They do it because there is no real pocket in Madden, still, even though they worked on it. The line interaction and the rush angles are the culprits. If they fixed those 2 issues, you wouldn't see people do it, because they would drop back right into the arms of the DEs.

IF the game was designed to where being in the pocket was the safest place to be, then almost everyone would stay there. But it isn't, so if people drop back way past the pocket, or roll way outside it, it's because the game is designed, intentionally or not, to be played this way.

Those are the things that they need to fix.

Side note just for clarification. When I said 2K did a great job of the feel for the QBs motion in the pocket, I meant 2K8. For whatever reason, they did not apply much momentum, at all, to the QB in the pocket on 2K5. It is quite jarring to go from controlling a RB or WR in that game with tons of mo, and then go to the QB and there is virtually none. Curious faux pas, that they subsequently remedied.

Gotmadskillzson 12-20-2010 02:57 PM

I am not a fan of auto stuff. Madden is already watered down enough as it is. Keep adding auto stuff then you might as well not play the game and just watch the cpu play itself.

Slippery slope. They already have auto pass, auto drop back, auto strafe, auto sprint, auto get you into position for a tackle or deflection with the defensive assist button. That is way too much auto.

I mean whats next auto juke, spin and stiff arm for the RBs ?

canes21 12-21-2010 02:54 AM

I guess if people out there want it, have it as an option. But I personally would not use it. I feel more of a reward when I move up in the pocket to avoid a sack and gain 7 yards on a pass than when I drop back and throw it to an open receiver for an easy score.

I think there is no real reason for a pocket presence button anyways because EA still lacks a true pocket. Like mentioned before 2k did an awesome job with the passing game as a whole. 2k8 fixed 2k5's coverage problems and it was perfect almost. The line interaction were great, pass trajectories were awesome, difference in QBs was nice, everything was perfect including moving around the pocket. It actually was rewarding in that game to avoid the rush by moving around the pocket.

tlc12576 12-21-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Only1LT (Post 2041957380)
.......Side note just for clarification. When I said 2K did a great job of the feel for the QBs motion in the pocket, I meant 2K8. For whatever reason, they did not apply much momentum, at all, to the QB in the pocket on 2K5. It is quite jarring to go from controlling a RB or WR in that game with tons of mo, and then go to the QB and there is virtually none. Curious faux pas, that they subsequently remedied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canes21 (Post 2041959890)
......I think there is no real reason for a pocket presence button anyways because EA still lacks a true pocket. Like mentioned before 2k did an awesome job with the passing game as a whole. 2k8 fixed 2k5's coverage problems and it was perfect almost. The line interaction were great, pass trajectories were awesome, difference in QBs was nice, everything was perfect including moving around the pocket. It actually was rewarding in that game to avoid the rush by moving around the pocket.

I'm probably almost trolling to keep repeating this in almost every thread I post in but for Madden devs to not just copy things other NFL games got right, is just ridiculous!

Anyway, as far as auto pocket presence, I have to agree with others about it doing little good without Madden having a risk/reward pocket simulation. There is that term again, "risk/reward", one of the main pillars for ALL decisions made in the NFL but Madden lacks this in so many areas.

I'm all for any option being added but I think in this case, it would be easier for EA to fix the root problem instead of addressing a symptom of it, like they so often seem to do. I'm no programmer but I don't get what is so difficult about simulating a passing pocket. A few next-gen Maddens, I forget which ones, actually had a passing tutorial where you had to stay in a certain area to complete passes while dodging incoming projectiles. If that concept is used in a tutorial, what so hard about translating that onto the in-game football field?

OP, I applaud you for trying to come up with a idea to make the passing pocket more realistic and diverse in Madden. However, I think anything the powers that be at EA see as too complicated for Madden "casuals" has little chance of making it in the game, regardless of realism or improvement value.

PantherBeast_OS 12-21-2010 08:19 PM

No no and no. The QB already auto dropback 3 steps in shotgun mode as it is and that has already destroyed shoutgun formation. I hope they take that out. I want to have free roam as when I can take off with my QB in the pocket or stay in the pocket. This is not a good idea and it will never work. The problem with madden is the oline dline interaction. That's the only thing that needs to be worked on with the offense part at this point in time.