Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   So Madden QB's Equal Invincible? (/forums/showthread.php?t=463881)

s38s38s 01-07-2011 01:58 PM

So Madden QB's Equal Invincible?

Interesting discussion between a friend and myself and in short it went like this.

"I wonder why Madden QB ratings for injury are so high..." "IRL aside from being tough a QB's ability to stay healthy is more apart of knowing when to go down, and the O-Lines ability to protect right?" (See Favre this year)

"I wonder why EA Sports doesn't make this a factor in their game?"..."I dunno, but why is my DE getting hurt when laying the wood on a QB (Broken Collarbone out 10 weeks wtf really EA!?), meanwhile QB-X just gets up and walks away like it's what he does everyday"....

This has really become a sizable annoyance for me, you work hard to get pressure, hurry, get hits on and finally sack the QB and there's no reward for your ability to get to the QB. No "noticable" deduction in stamina, no knocking QB's out for a play, or a couple of series, much worse IMO is in a game just to see what would happen (lowered pass block sliders to 0) I sacked Peyton Manning 26 times, and he didn't even blink, limp, breathe hard, nothing just sipped some G2 and kept it moving.

I would really like to see some real world implications added to getting hits on a QB. I don't care how tough you are, you keep taking shots from 6'+, 230+ LB's/DE's/DT's you're going to get hurt, even if it's just for the game, quarter, series whatever, but something. Also QB fumbles would be nice (ie. strips).

I'd like to maybe see QB's injury take maybe a 10-15 point drop accross the board, and IMO pocket QB's carry should be in the 25-40 range, scramblers around 55 or so. Thoughts?

untrugby 01-07-2011 04:01 PM

Re: So Madden QB's Equal Invincible?

i tried this with the exception of changing manning and his backups injury and toughness down to 12, changing the CPU run block to 0 and moving my pass rush to 100.

I noticed a few things. I knocked peyton out after 3 hits but the backup was impossible to knock out even though i had put vinatieri 3rd on the depth chart. The pass blocking is ridiculous compared to run blocking. At 0 CPU run block and 30 user block shedding they only had 2 run plays of positive yards and those were draws where the pass blocking played into it. My guys were coming at the RB like there was no line there at all. At 0 CPU pass block and 100 user pass rush my guys were still getting blocked i hardly ever got a free guy through. roger goodell must have mandated that QBs get special protection even in madden.

JVM 01-07-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untrugby (Post 2042009730)
i tried this with the exception of changing manning and his backups injury and toughness down to 12, changing the CPU run block to 0 and moving my pass rush to 100.

I noticed a few things. I knocked peyton out after 3 hits but the backup was impossible to knock out even though i had put vinatieri 3rd on the depth chart. The pass blocking is ridiculous compared to run blocking. At 0 CPU run block and 30 user block shedding they only had 2 run plays of positive yards and those were draws where the pass blocking played into it. My guys were coming at the RB like there was no line there at all. At 0 CPU pass block and 100 user pass rush my guys were still getting blocked i hardly ever got a free guy through. roger goodell must have mandated that QBs get special protection even in madden.

The offensive line play in this game is a joke. While the CPU can have its way with mediocre players on the OL, you can have 90+ OVR for each Offensive lineman and it means nothing.

Have you read that Clay Matthews is the toughest guy to block? I read that in today's newspaper. Well, I have him on my team and shucks, even a FB can block him. He is tougher when on the CPU's team.

The game cheats! So? So I cheat too. :)

Bretlicious 01-07-2011 07:09 PM

Odd. I tend to kill other teams QBs like crazy. I took out both Smiths from the 49ers in one game. I tend to go for hard hitting players though, so maybe thats why.

moylan1234 01-07-2011 11:59 PM

Interesting time for this thread when I simmed the preseason in my franchise starter Sam Bradford went down with a long term injury. Vince Young is my back up, but I have a rookie who I'd like to see on the field so to keep it sort of realistic I've been trying my best to get Vince hurt with no luck. I basically just treat every pass play like a qb keeper and take lots of sacks. I've taken some big hits, but VY hasn't missed a snap through two games and at the same time I see the guys tackling him drop like flies

steelers1 01-08-2011 01:40 AM

As far as injuries go, I agree. It should have a lot to do with the number of hits a QB takes, though, and shouldn't always lead to the kind of injuries that make QBs miss a lot of time. The top QBs in the NFL rarely miss more than a couple games in a year, but play hurt a lot more. Madden should make it so QBs (and all players, really) have a lot more lingering injuries that might not lead to any missed snaps, but decreased mobility and, depending on the injury, decreased arm strength and accuracy over the course of multiple games. For example, Ben Roethlisberger had a broken bone in his foot for a few games this year, but never actually missed any plays because of it.

QB fumbling is just as, or even more important, though. It's always been poorly done, but it's pretty well known that QBs generally fumble more than any other position due to being in the middle of throwing, blind hits, and strips from behind. I've always felt like EA games overcompensated for the lack of QB fumbles by making RBs more prone to fumbles and making QBs fumble more often when scrambling.

I don't really agree that scrambling QBs should have much higher carrying though. Usually scrambling QBs are terrible about ball security because they take off running with the ball still in their hand like they are going to throw... look at Vick, McNabb, even Troy Smith.

TNT713 01-09-2011 11:10 AM

QB get injured... I've had all 3 go down once and was stuck passing with the punter. That being said, there are some injuries that I see more than others. Broken Collarbone being the most frequent.

Although, I wouldn't expect Peyton Manning to get injured. He's been able to escape the injury bug for years.

Later

JVM 01-09-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNT713 (Post 2042015128)
QB get injured... I've had all 3 go down once and was stuck passing with the punter. That being said, there are some injuries that I see more than others. Broken Collarbone being the most frequent.

Although, I wouldn't expect Peyton Manning to get injured. He's been able to escape the injury bug for years.

Later

Funny you mentioned broken collarbone as my MLB got that tackling a WR. Oh, and the WR was just fine.